In some offices or college campuses Wifi is available only for authorised users by mac address filtering. So I tried to change my Galaxy y's MAC address to an authorised user's MAC address and it worked.
The main advantage is you dont have to install any specific app [We know SGY has only 190MB of internal].
So I thought to share this method in XDA. If any doubts please may i know in the comments.
So let's begin.......
1. Phone must be rooted.
2. Any root explorer. [I use Xplore file manager]
1. Install a root explorer and open it.
2. Under settings select 'mount system as writable' [ie enable root browsing] and also check 'show hidden files'
3. Now navigate to /data/misc and long press the 'wifi' folder inside it.
4. Select 'Permissions' and make sure 'Read' and 'Write' under 'Others' is ticked. If not, tick it.
5. Open 'wifi' folder.
6. Open the '.nvmac.info' file present inside it with a text editor.
7. Clear the MAC Address inside the file and write down the new MAC Address.
8. Press save and close the file.
THAT'S IT. PROCESS COMPLETE......
You can Verify that the MAC address under wifi settings has changed.
To get back your previous MAC, just reboot your device.
I will be uploading a video tutorial soon.
This is my first thread in xda. Hope its useful. Please may i know if this worked or not in the comments.