Recently some unknown app is using my 2G packet data mysteriously. I am on a cheap internet plan, so this uses up good percentage of my data; though I can ignore it. But my phone becomes hot (~35° C) and obviously battery gets used up. The mysterious usage eats up data ranging between 4-20 MBs. I am unsure if it is random or just that I am lucky to notice this and stop it before it goes SPARTA.
To find out, I tried out various usage monitoring apps, but that none helped to find out which app uses the data. The overall usage in the monitoring app accounts to the used sum, but no signs of what app it is.
I just have Google account(with sync off for Picasa albums) and WhatsApp listed in my Accounts and sync settings. Both have been ON since the day I have this phone, but this thing is happening recently, so I cannot blame them. Also, I do not have much that'd get synced and use this lot of data.
I have disabled auto update of my phone and the Play Store apps.
Due to low internal memory, I have uninstalled all of the default app's(i.e Google Map, Talk, Mail etc) updates except Play Store.
For having a clear idea I will list down the apps whose services are ON on my phone:
- Rocket Player - com.jrtstudio.AnotherMusicPlayer
- Assistant - com.speaktoit.assistant
- Battery Solo Widget - net.maicas.android.batterys
- Notification Toggle - de.j4velin.notificationToggle
- DRM Content - com.sec.android.provider.drm
- Software Update - com.wssyncmldm
- Email - com.andoid.email - I do not use this. Never used it.
- Google Services (2 processes and 3 services) - Cloud-to-Device Messaging service, NetworkLocationService, Google Message Service.
- SyncmlDS - com.smlds
- Maps * 2 (dunno why, but I see 2)
- Software update - com.sec.android.fotaclient
I had a thought if the counter on my service provider's side is bugged, but I have seen the uplink and downlink symbols continuously lighted, I switch on my packet data and find a crazy amount of data getting accounted in my usage.
PS: I stay in Mumbai, India. I am on Aircel's GSM network.
Will be thankful if you can help me find a solution to this problem. I have tried to provide most the information that I thought would be helpful, please ask if you need more information.
Thanks for reading such big post. :P