Bricked Gear 2 Neo

Search This thread

WhiteWashed

Jan 26, 2014
Vivaro
Hi guys...a friend of mine bricked his Gear 2 Neo when he was trying to flash the stock firmware with Odin. The problem is that he accidentally left the "Re-Partition" option checked and, after the flashing was complete, the Gear didn't boot past the bootanimation anymore. After the Samung Gear 2 bootanimation, the smartwatch just turns off (or the screen goes black, idk). Tried to flash again the stock firmware (and different versions) but nothing works. :(

Reactions: Mindlessgalaxy

WhiteWashed

Jan 26, 2014
Vivaro
if you can get to odin mode, you should be fine. Try flashing this tar.md5 file in odin

Thank you for helping. I've flashed the file on both AP and CSC but it didn't work...after the boot logo, the smartwatch turned off...just like when I tried to flash the stock firmware. I've tried to flash the Android Wear ROM and I managed to get into TWRP and I've tried to format system, data and cache but TWRP gave me the error "unable to mount /" for all partitions. Partitions are messed up but I don't know how to restore them :( some other ideas?

Youdoofus

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2011
Sioux Falls, SD
Samsung Galaxy S9
Thank you for helping. I've flashed the file on both AP and CSC but it didn't work...after the boot logo, the smartwatch turned off...just like when I tried to flash the stock firmware. I've tried to flash the Android Wear ROM and I managed to get into TWRP and I've tried to format system, data and cache but TWRP gave me the error "unable to mount /" for all partitions. Partitions are messed up but I don't know how to restore them :( some other ideas?

i wonder if you somehow messed up the partition table. I havent seen a PIT file for the gear 2 neo, but its gotta be around here somewhere

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

here is what i found about a tizen PIT https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/Porting_Guide#Tizen_Partition_Layout

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

found this too http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2910368&d=1408890549

both were in this thread http://xdaforums.com/gear-2/help/obtaining-gear-2-neo-pit-t2823250

WhiteWashed

Jan 26, 2014
Vivaro
i wonder if you somehow messed up the partition table. I havent seen a PIT file for the gear 2 neo, but its gotta be around here somewhere

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

here is what i found about a tizen PIT https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/Porting_Guide#Tizen_Partition_Layout

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

found this too http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2910368&d=1408890549

both were in this thread http://xdaforums.com/gear-2/help/obtaining-gear-2-neo-pit-t2823250

Already found that thread and that PIT file but when I try to flash it, ODIN says "FAILED"...so I looked for another PIT file and found this site. With the PIT of this site, ODIN flashed everything without errors but the smartwatch still doesn't boot :(:(:( tried different ROMs (the stock tizen one and different versions of the android wear ROM port) on both AP and CSC but no result at all..maybe I'm missing something, so if you have precise instructions on how to flash this PIT file it would be nice. At this point, I'm really desperate :crying:

Youdoofus

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2011
Sioux Falls, SD
Samsung Galaxy S9
Already found that thread and that PIT file but when I try to flash it, ODIN says "FAILED"...so I looked for another PIT file and found this site. With the PIT of this site, ODIN flashed everything without errors but the smartwatch still doesn't boot :(:(:( tried different ROMs (the stock tizen one and different versions of the android wear ROM port) on both AP and CSC but no result at all..maybe I'm missing something, so if you have precise instructions on how to flash this PIT file it would be nice. At this point, I'm really desperate :crying:

man, im not too familiar with flashing PIT files, other than trying to avoid it at all costs unless the partition table has been messed up. I dont think youre missing anything tho. Ive read that having to reflash the tizen tar.md5 a couple of times back to back with the reboot box unchecked has been a successful thing for some folks. But youre gonna just want to use the AP selection in Odin tho

WhiteWashed

Jan 26, 2014
Vivaro
man, im not too familiar with flashing PIT files, other than trying to avoid it at all costs unless the partition table has been messed up. I dont think youre missing anything tho. Ive read that having to reflash the tizen tar.md5 a couple of times back to back with the reboot box unchecked has been a successful thing for some folks. But youre gonna just want to use the AP selection in Odin tho

Tried countless times to flash stock firmware with and without the PIT file...but it really looks like the smartwatch is gone for good... :(

xEmre66

Apr 23, 2016
Vienna
Try to install stock firmware again and check RE-PARTITION option in odin

Sent from my SM-G930F using XDA-Developers mobile app

WhiteWashed

Jan 26, 2014
Vivaro
OMG guys the miracle happened...it works !!! All I did was to flash the stock tizen rom with PIT file and immediately after the Android Wear ROM (9/24/2015 build) without the PIT file... don't know why it worked now...thanks for helping :) @youdoofus @xEmre66

Youdoofus

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2011
Sioux Falls, SD
Samsung Galaxy S9
OMG guys the miracle happened...it works !!! All I did was to flash the stock tizen rom with PIT file and immediately after the Android Wear ROM (9/24/2015 build) without the PIT file... don't know why it worked now...thanks for helping :) @youdoofus @xEmre66

did you check the re-partition box? i ask because i didnt think that would do anything

g355150

Dec 15, 2012
Didnt want to create a new thread since I am having a similar issue and tried to use the solutions from this thread, to no avail.

I got a refurbished Gear 2 Neo as gift and it was working okay. However, some apps such as heart rate didnt function. Also, I couldnt transfer music to the device and some other things, so I decided to do a factory reset on it from the settings menu. Watch has not functioned since.

I can get to the reboot menu (continue, download, recovery, shutdown). If I press continue it will show the gear 2 boot screen, then the samsung boot animation =, then black screen. If I press download, it takes me to the download option and I can flash files through odin with no errors. However, when it reboots, same black screen. If I try the recovery option, same thing.....black screen. If it is of and I plug it in, it vibrates and charges, but I cannot get it to boot past the samsung animation.

I have tried flashing a PIT file, stock FW, tizen ROM......nothing works. I got a refurb because I wanted this exact watch, but it is discontinued. I am not new to flashing. I have a rooted and flashed a Galaxy s5, my current phone Note 4 and y current tablet, a samsung Note 10.1 2014.

edit.....http://xdaforums.com/gear-2-neo/development/android-wear-gear-2-gear-2-neo-t3182056
I flashed the ROM from this thread and my watch works........go figure. I would still like to figure out what is wrong when I flash OEM FW

Last edited:

xEmre66

Apr 23, 2016
Vienna
Didnt want to create a new thread since I am having a similar issue and tried to use the solutions from this thread, to no avail.

I got a refurbished Gear 2 Neo as gift and it was working okay. However, some apps such as heart rate didnt function. Also, I couldnt transfer music to the device and some other things, so I decided to do a factory reset on it from the settings menu. Watch has not functioned since.

I can get to the reboot menu (continue, download, recovery, shutdown). If I press continue it will show the gear 2 boot screen, then the samsung boot animation =, then black screen. If I press download, it takes me to the download option and I can flash files through odin with no errors. However, when it reboots, same black screen. If I try the recovery option, same thing.....black screen. If it is of and I plug it in, it vibrates and charges, but I cannot get it to boot past the samsung animation.

I have tried flashing a PIT file, stock FW, tizen ROM......nothing works. I got a refurb because I wanted this exact watch, but it is discontinued. I am not new to flashing. I have a rooted and flashed a Galaxy s5, my current phone Note 4 and y current tablet, a samsung Note 10.1 2014.

edit.....http://xdaforums.com/gear-2-neo/development/android-wear-gear-2-gear-2-neo-t3182056
I flashed the ROM from this thread and my watch works........go figure. I would still like to figure out what is wrong when I flash OEM FW
Seems to have SoftBrick. I have no idea. You can't get into Recovery and it doesn't boot. Send it to Samsung for Repairing. :(

g355150

Dec 15, 2012
Seems to have SoftBrick. I have no idea. You can't get into Recovery and it doesn't boot. Send it to Samsung for Repairing. :(

No longer soft bricked. I followed the recovery instructions from the android wear thread and I was able to switch back to Tizen

Going back to Tizen
BE ADVISED: GOING BACK TO TIZEN MIGHT PROVE DIFFICULT TO ANYBODY WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE OF THE WATCH, SDB, ADB, AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T USE ODIN. DON'T PM ME FOR IT. IT'S WRITTEN BELOW. ASK IN THE Q&A SECTION PLEASE. THIS IS A DEVELOPMENT THREAD, AND THESE IMAGES ARE FOR DEVELOPMENT ONLY.
BE ADVISED (again): There's no PIT file for this watch. If your favourite flashing app for samsung phones requests one, use Odin. I know, I don't like it either. But we live in a world full of virtual machines with the ability to share USB ports. Now it's your chance to use them if you don't feel like installing Windows in your machine.

*. Walkthrough video by @alvaromartinezb : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhzI...ature=youtu.be
1. Flash this file: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3c...ll-Restore.tar
2. When it fails to boot and the screen goes blank, reboot to the bootloader menu and select recovery.

xEmre66

Apr 23, 2016
Vienna
No longer soft bricked. I followed the recovery instructions from the android wear thread and I was able to switch back to Tizen

Going back to Tizen
BE ADVISED: GOING BACK TO TIZEN MIGHT PROVE DIFFICULT TO ANYBODY WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE OF THE WATCH, SDB, ADB, AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T USE ODIN. DON'T PM ME FOR IT. IT'S WRITTEN BELOW. ASK IN THE Q&A SECTION PLEASE. THIS IS A DEVELOPMENT THREAD, AND THESE IMAGES ARE FOR DEVELOPMENT ONLY.
BE ADVISED (again): There's no PIT file for this watch. If your favourite flashing app for samsung phones requests one, use Odin. I know, I don't like it either. But we live in a world full of virtual machines with the ability to share USB ports. Now it's your chance to use them if you don't feel like installing Windows in your machine.

*. Walkthrough video by @alvaromartinezb : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhzI...ature=youtu.be
1. Flash this file: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3c...ll-Restore.tar
2. When it fails to boot and the screen goes blank, reboot to the bootloader menu and select recovery.

Glad to hear that!:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys...a friend of mine bricked his Gear 2 Neo when he was trying to flash the stock firmware with Odin. The problem is that he accidentally left the "Re-Partition" option checked and, after the flashing was complete, the Gear didn't boot past the bootanimation anymore. After the Samung Gear 2 bootanimation, the smartwatch just turns off (or the screen goes black, idk). Tried to flash again the stock firmware (and different versions) but nothing works. :(