OpenFit: Open source Gear Fit application

Search This thread

Brucutu01

Dec 8, 2016
Use and lineage OS 14.1.

Temperature is not displayed.

Media player only works by opening the app and reschedule the option.

how to solve?

Last edited:

lalalam

Oct 20, 2014
by using
gear fit
LG V10 nougat
purchased openfit premium

suddenly not able to sync with google fit....
pls help.....
thanks

tmarsh12345

Dec 31, 2016
Coleraine
Sure, gonna eat dinner with the wife then i'll reset the band and the app and start over and see what happens if I take my time between connecting with the phone bluetooth, then setting up the open fit app. Give me a couple hours and I'll tag you in my reply. :good:

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

@jareddlc ok done, here is exactly what happened play by play:
1) I opened the phone settings > Bluetooth and selected to pair with the Gear Fit
2) Both the gear fit and my phone presented me with a pairing code to verify, i clicked pair on both
3) The gear fit went to a screen saying it was waiting for confirmation. After about 30 seconds this screen goes away and the gear says "you failed to pair ... etc etc" <-- Exact verbiage can be found in my original post.
IMPORTANT NOTE - Despite the gear band telling me it had failed, it was in fact still paired to my phone over bluetooth. I have not even opened the open fit app at this time.
4) While the Gear band was still telling me it had failed to pair, i opened the open fit app and selected scan (not sure if this was necessary or not but I did it out of habit i guess)
5) I selected Show devices, then selected my gear fit.
6) I selected Connect. At this point a toast notification popped up and said something along the lines of "connecting to: DEFAULT"
7) It connected fine
I can pair with bluetooth to my phone nut Open Fit will not connect. Attempts to connect and fails.

gff1stof3

May 14, 2014
Orlando
Same question here Fit 2 wont work on my Moto G5+

Apparently Samsung doesn't like my Moto G5+ and won't allow their app to install. Says my device is incompatible. Would love open source support for the Fit 2.

pirpank

Apr 15, 2010
Hi, i recently acquired samsung gear fit device.
And the only way i can connect to gearfit is with OpenFit apk.
Most of the things work but i can't reply with short messages and i cant get alarms to work.
Is there a way to get alarm working on Android 7.1?
I am using standard Android clock.

Best Regards

mudnightoil

Jul 22, 2014
Is there a workaround for making the basic functions of the app work without Play Services installed?

I can't install it even if I wanted to, due to the terms of my contract.

For an 'open' app, mandatory Google Play Services seems a bit strange if you're just using the basic pairing function.

P.S. Using Gear Fit 2 Pro.

Last edited:

action_papst

Jan 9, 2010
/home
Sony Xperia XA2
Is there a workaround for making the basic functions of the app work without Play Services installed?

I can't install it even if I wanted to, due to the terms of my contract.

For an 'open' app, mandatory Google Play Services seems a bit strange if you're just using the basic pairing function.

P.S. Using Gear Fit 2 Pro.
No gapps here, app is working absolutely fine. LineageOS 14.1, Gear 1, Note3.

life02

Jan 17, 2006
DFW
Multiple notifications

On Nexus 5x using both stock Nougat and Oreo I am getting multiple notifications for each notification.

One notification will be the real notification.
The next notification will be a blank template (OpenFit Title - OpenFit Email).

Any ideas?
I am using the Gear Fit firmware that was recommended in post 1 as well.

jdmst77

Feb 19, 2012
Apparently Samsung doesn't like my Moto G5+ and won't allow their app to install. Says my device is incompatible. Would love open source support for the Fit 2.

My gear fit2 wouldn't work with my LG G3 (incompatible) so I went to apkmirror and installed a few apps (Samsung Gear & Samsung Health), a plugin (Gear Fit Plugin), and a service (Samsung Accessory Service). It works perfectly with my device now

egret17

Oct 27, 2017
I'm using Open Fit with an original Gear Fit, paired with a Nexus 6P, which is enrolled in the Android Beta Program (the only way to get security updates, as the 6P has aged out of Google's support). Yesterday the phone updated to Android 8.1.0 and now all of the notifications on my Gear Fit are in an Asian character set instead of English. Any suggestions on how to set things back to English?

SmokeThatSkinWagon

Dec 13, 2017
My gear fit2 wouldn't work with my LG G3 (incompatible) so I went to apkmirror and installed a few apps (Samsung Gear & Samsung Health), a plugin (Gear Fit Plugin), and a service (Samsung Accessory Service). It works perfectly with my device now

Thanks for the info! I'm looking to give a gear fit2 to the wife (stock nexus 5x) as an Xmas gift, but I thought I'd pick your brain if you don't mind.

Are you rooted or stock? Is this solution still working well for you?

Reactions: fretwork13

Shiki~

Jan 4, 2011
Hello everyone.
I just updated my old samsung to a custom rom, and OFC gear fit manager does not work anymore.
So I'm looking forward trying this one.

Is OpenFit_8-22-2015.apk the last one ? (cannot find the apk on google play)
Somehow I cannot install it... I'm on android 7.1

Thanks

jdmst77

Feb 19, 2012
Thanks for the info! I'm looking to give a gear fit2 to the wife (stock nexus 5x) as an Xmas gift, but I thought I'd pick your brain if you don't mind.

Are you rooted or stock? Is this solution still working well for you?

Rooted stock no clue how it would work with a nexus 5x. Hope you got it on the black Friday sale. They may still have them for $70 on slickdeals. At that price, it's a good deal. Target has the Pro on sale for double

Aannie199

Dec 21, 2017
So sorry if this has already been answered, but I just got a pixel 2 after using Samsungs for years, I got this app and it was working perfectly, but now it is showing my texts and calls in Chinese (I think) characters and I have not been able to fix it. Thanks!

jareddlc

Sep 26, 2010
www.
App removed from Play Store, use Gear Fit Pro Lite / Gear Fit Pro. For me works excelent!
^ This developer forked OpenFit and added abit more features, but the base is still OpenFit

Sorry guys, Google removed OpenFit from the play store due to me not including a privacy policy inside the app. Once i get some free time I will be updating it include a privacy policy, and hopefully shortly after an updated version of the app which refactors code and introduces a new UI. No promises on a deadline, but as soon as I get some free time to update I will. Usually the best place to report issues is on the github project, as i dont check XDA often.

regarding the asian like characters on android 8 someone already reported it today on github, and i'll take a look at whats going on once i get the update ready. thanks again guys for using OpenFit.

Last edited:

Rtz23

Jan 9, 2018
Anyone have the latest APK for the app? My one suddenly stopped working. I was using the version from 22nd of August and suddenly keep getting the message Gear Fit Rfcomm failed. This is for HTC 10

Rtz23

Jan 9, 2018
I got the latest version of the app and I get Gear fit connect failed. It was working fine yesterday, any tips or tricks are appreciated :)

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

It works. For anyone who had my issue, clear all Open Fit Data and turn off everything but bluetooth (not sure if that applied) then do not pair beforehand and simply scan then click on the device and connect. I love you Jarred, thanks for this amazing app!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello XDA, I am updating this post to now reflect that this thread is a development thread versus a general thread.

What is OpenFit?

OpenFit is aimed to be an open source alternative to the Gear Fit Manager (which cannot be run natively on non-samsung devices), with hopes that it will provide most/all of the features provided by the Gear Fit Manager app and possibly even more. That being said, this application is in early development and lacks a lot of features.

What can it do?
    • Connect to the Gear Fit
    • Auto Connect
    • Sync time with the Gear Fit
    • Toggle 12-Hour/24-Hour clock
    • Media Controller
    • Alarm notifications (stock android clock app, cannot dismiss alarm from Gear Fit)
    • SMS notifications
    • MMS notifications (does not show mms content)
    • Weather notifications (currently only english support)
    • Weather clock style
    • Phone calls notifications
    • Reject phone calls (quick reply doesnt work yet)
    • Find device
    • Email notifications (does not grab the contents of email, that data is protected)
    • 3rd party apps notifications
    • Pedometer data
    • Google Fit Sync

This app was developed using firmware: R350XXU0BOA2

Download from Google Play: Open Fit

How to install:
    • Download from google play
    • Run OpenFit application

How to upgrade/downgrade firmware:
    Tutorial provided by user: @LilLowEK
    Tutorial here

How to debug:
    • Install and Open CatLog app (Free on google play)
    • Press Menu key on you phone to bring up the record button
    • Press record and when prompted for file name, add filter with text 'OpenFit'
    • Press okay, it will begin to record logs for OpenFit.
    • Perform the action you are trying to debug (try doing it a few times, this helps me figure out the cause of bug)
    • When completed, stop the recording by tapping on the CatLog notification.
    • Email or pm me the logs so I can try fixing the bug

Github: https://github.com/jareddlc/OpenFit
    open_fit-web.png

How did I make OpenFit
    The first thing i decided to do, was to try to research on how the phone and watch communicated. For this I enabled Bluetooth HCI snoop log in the developer options in the CM rom. This would log all traffic from bluetooth. I factory reset my watch and then connected it with the Gear Fit Manager app. I sent/received a test messages, using custom apps and text messages. I then stopped logging bluetooth traffic, and began inspecting the logs using wireshark. For each new connection after a factory reset of the watch, the Gear Fit Manager checks to see if a Firmware update is available and then sends most of the data to the watch; updated texts, images, predefined text etc. Then shortly after I began seeing the logs for the text messages and custom messages. For text messages, nothing was needed, but for custom messages, the app will send to the watch the image of the app along with some metadata, such that the watch can now receive the custom type message (think facebook messenger). So now that I had a nice data set to work with I tried connecting to the watch using androids BLE connections, but I could not connect successfully with it, and so I tried using the BT RFcomm and that worked (I can try to revisit BLE, now that I have more knowledge). Now that I can connect, I tried sending messages (messages from the BT snoop log), however I didnt have any success with this. I realized on each connection, the watch will require a message as a handshake and to my surprise the message was "ODIN" (Samsung's software to flash firmware). After I sent the "ODIN" message, that watch now acknowledge OpenFit and would accept incoming messages. Shortly after I was able to figure out the protocol for sending messages to the watch specifically, setting time and sending a general message. For each type of message, the packet that is sent is different, which is why it time consuming to figure out how to send a particular message. This is where I currently am in the development, I was only able to get this far by using the BT snoop log in conjunction with a decompiled Gear Fit Manager app which I used as a reference. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
    Google Play download

I got a google play link available. I am thinking of making all downloads available trough play, and only have test builds here. :highfive:

Google Play: Open Fit
    I wonder how to switch to 24 hour clock as in your screenshots.
    It would be super cool to have media controller work., too.

Im almost about to release next version, which will have support for notifications. I also thought of adding the option for selecting clock format 12hr/24hr. I will see if I can also release that. I took a break this weekend, but hopefully I"ll get the next release available to download, and im hoping its a functional release :) For the media controls I will have to take time to learn how to work, so that will not be ready in next release. I'll leave a screenshot here of the apps list now with the icons.

WxOGS93.png
    Some more progress shots: The list will need more tweaking, like icons, and click listeners etc

yA1FJRh.png