Would you still recommend the GearS in 2017??

Search This thread

felacio

Apr 16, 2007
Fayetteville
www.idle-handz.com
Just updated to Oreo 8.0 beta on T-Mobile on S8+ and after a couple hiccups (no notifications, disconnected from phone and needed a reboot and to open the Gear Manager app and force a reconnect) everything seems to be working fine with the newest update.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

frankie4life

Jun 19, 2011
Don't worry about the cradle.

If this happens and I say if since mine is over 3 years old and still fine you can get these cradles on Amazon for $7.88 and they work great. I have a couple extra so I can keep one at home, one at work, and one in my bag.

DirkDH

Aug 23, 2017
Overberg
I bought one almost new on Dutch Ebay for 65 euros. Fantastic watch. Better even than the S3 in my opinion. Large curved screen , does not look big on my wrist. I have 2 SIM cards and use it as a standalone phone and leave my S8 at home. Loud speaker and plays music fantastic.

Too bad Samsung didn;t keep it and perhaps make wireless charger for it.
Very satisfied.

dennistaylor

Apr 4, 2007
My wife got me one brand new in the box for my early Christmas present for $229.95 - I just wish I could find an internet browser that still worked on it. Love this 3 year old watch that's brand new to me. Plays movies great and I can actually see things on the display, as opposed to the gear S2 I got free with the S7 Edge.

bonesnj0

Mar 10, 2007
Opera Mini Works

My wife got me one brand new in the box for my early Christmas present for $229.95 - I just wish I could find an internet browser that still worked on it. Love this 3 year old watch that's brand new to me. Plays movies great and I can actually see things on the display, as opposed to the gear S2 I got free with the S7 Edge.
Use Opera mini Flash over SBD.
Very easy you can put many GWTs on to watch.
I have this watch for 3 years if your phone breaks you always have a backup Keeps track of sleep walking and other fuctions,
Best watch i ever owned,
if you want to get real good battery Life Disconnect from BT 5% in 8 Hours

Reactions: dennistaylor

Crash27

Jun 24, 2010
Peterborough
Question about the Gear S...I have never owned a smart watch and someone had one for sale with everything plus the wireless charger cradle for $100. So i went and bought it not knowing that it only works with Samsung. I spent hours last night trying to find a workaround. Is there anyway to get it to work on a LG G5? I have it paired but would like to get facebook....ect on it

dennistaylor

Apr 4, 2007
Workaround for other phones

Question about the Gear S...I have never owned a smart watch and someone had one for sale with everything plus the wireless charger cradle for $100. So i went and bought it not knowing that it only works with Samsung. I spent hours last night trying to find a workaround. Is there anyway to get it to work on a LG G5? I have it paired but would like to get facebook....ect on it

Yes. There are a few good YouTube videos in which you tap the icon at the top left about 25 times, then press the center of the screen after the screen changes. Here's one of them: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gazJ_1bddJI

Reactions: louforgiveno

TechErik

Jan 16, 2018
Is gear s still alive? So few apps on store. Is there any database i can download and install apps manually? Or should i install android on it? All tips are welcome to get this watch up to date :)

naimmkassim

Jan 6, 2010
Selangor
Don't root it or you will be regret. I flash cm 12.1 on it. The watch is always hot like oven on my wrist. Until one day it keep restart on its own. Then screen below portion not function anymore :( guess motherboard got screw up due to the heat. Luckily i have2 set of this watch black n white version. Rocking the white version now :)

mickier

May 7, 2018
I've been using my gear s for 2 years. Love it - but im on my 3rd charging cradle - and finally the charging contacts wore out on the back of the watch - so I finally bought the gear Sport.

In my opinion, the gear sport is *not even close* to as nice as the Gear S. It is bulky, clumsy, and doesn't display my texts or emails nearly as nicely as the Gear S... The Gear S also responds much better for me - gestures like turning my wrist - the display pops on every time - the Sport has a different gesture - you raise your hand from your side - up towards your face - and *sometimes* the display comes on...

I finally went back to my gear S - I got a new charging connector ckt board which I will try to put in without breaking anything -- I'm also watching for a clean prefereably NEW gear S to come on the market - i still think it's the most comfortable and useful smartwatch ever made - HEY SAMSUNG - TIME FOR A GEAR S refresh!!!! and NOT THE CRAPPY ROUND HEAVY CRAP EITHER!

dainbramage

Nov 24, 2006
San Dimas. PRC
Bought a LG Urbane 2 LTE less than a year ago and was going to retire the Gear S. The LG was OK and the OS was updated often the battery would last two days sometimes. About 3 months ago the original band broke and LG doesn't sell them so I bought one off ebay for $70 because they have the LTE antennae built in. I was happy again until a couple of nights ago when the charger started acting up and finally it wouldn't charge the watch. I tried all the tricks and nothing worked so I was forced to start using the Gear S again. After a couple of days with the Gear S I have no desire to go back with LG. Even though the Gear is ancient it still gets the job done with its beautiful form and screen and I don't feel any urgency to find a replacement.

Bodzium

Sep 27, 2016
This watch still doesn't work with non Samsung devices? Because I know Samsung changed something and Galaxy Wearable is availble on playstore not on Galaxy Apps like before. I wanna buy one but I don't have Samsung phone

Moschino02

May 11, 2010
Cardiff
Wow , just stumbled across my article, which i think was my last comment on here and havnt been back since!!

Thanks for all the comments, everyone.

I did buy the watch in the end. Although i fell in love with the overall design, i tend to wear the watch occasionally so not getting much use out of it. I was thinking of selling it recently , but hard to let it go. I guess i'm not a watch person more than anything really. But i am just interested on how to get Opera Mini browser on there lool

dersie

Mar 26, 2011
Nancy, Lorraine
The watch can be used for non samsung phones.

There is a hidden feature where you have to tap the watch like 25 times for the bluetooth message to appear. There is a youtube video called 5 hidden features. check it out!

Yes but it is not to use with no Samsung phones but just to bypass the GearS first setup and use the watch like a clock and a phone (or BT earphone) with the Sim card. Still can connect to a no Samsung phone. With this, it act like a $5 Chinese watch phone ;)

Reactions: Moschino02

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Opera Mini Works

Use Opera mini Flash over SBD.
    Very easy you can put many GWTs on to watch.
    I have this watch for 3 years if your phone breaks you always have a backup Keeps track of sleep walking and other fuctions,
    Best watch i ever owned,
    if you want to get real good battery Life Disconnect from BT 5% in 8 Hours
    Workaround for other phones

Yes. There are a few good YouTube videos in which you tap the icon at the top left about 25 times, then press the center of the screen after the screen changes. Here's one of them: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gazJ_1bddJI
    The watch can be used for non samsung phones.

There is a hidden feature where you have to tap the watch like 25 times for the bluetooth message to appear. There is a youtube video called 5 hidden features. check it out!

Yes but it is not to use with no Samsung phones but just to bypass the GearS first setup and use the watch like a clock and a phone (or BT earphone) with the Sim card. Still can connect to a no Samsung phone. With this, it act like a $5 Chinese watch phone ;)