Running apps for Gear S

Search This thread

drjosephkim

Jan 28, 2015
I'm sure that some of us are runners who chose to get the Gear S so that we don't need to carry a smartphone when we go for a run. I've observed that there is some confusion regarding the fitness/running apps that are available for the Gear S. For example, the Samsung S Health app has a "running" mode that allows you to use the built-in GPS (outdoors) and built-in HR sensor on the Gear S while it's on standalone mode. But, this app won't track your pace when you're running indoor on a treadmill.

The Nike+ app can also use the built-in GPS to provide speed/distance information. The Nike+ app seems to be the only app so far that uses the built-in sensor found in the Gear S to estimate your speed when you're on a treadmill. I can't seem to find a way to calibrate this function. Also, I can't seem to find a way to get the Nike+ app to use the built-in HR monitor when I'm running.

Other apps like MapMyRun and Endomondo are simply "companion" apps that require that you run the app on the phone and the Gear S simply becomes an extension of the screen. Users who expect these apps to run in standalone mode (not paired to phone) will be disappointed.

Why can't we get a standalone running app for the Gear S that uses the built-in GPS (outdoor), the built-in sensor to track pace when you're running on a treadmill, and use the built-in HR sensor? Neither the S Health nor the Nike+ does all of that together.

gman901

Feb 11, 2011
I have the same question, but I'm trying to Google the resolution since I haven't had any luck with folks responding on this forum. I need to find a user forum for the Gear watch that's friendly do doors like me.

rquinn19

Feb 10, 2007
Phila
I have the same question, but I'm trying to Google the resolution since I haven't had any luck with folks responding on this forum. I need to find a user forum for the Gear watch that's friendly do doors like me.

Not sure what you mean, but the OP is more of a statement and not a question. There is no app that does it all. They all have their positives and negatives.

sadek169

Nov 20, 2006
Endomondo has launched standalone app dedicated only for Sony smartwatch ... any hope to port this app to Gear S ?????

ebroker

May 7, 2008
Ooops meant to post this in the Trackwatch thread... but liking the Nike+ app as a stand alone recorder...

Last edited:

lauerp

Apr 12, 2015
Well, the only way that I found was to move Android port, so I can use some apps like My trails. But as it's under development, it has a lot of bugs and some sensors aren't working by now but will do on a close future (hope so) like heart rate monitor and light sensor, but it's still better than Tizen in my opinion.