FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How bad is S-Voice really? Why?

32 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By srzbznz, Member on 15th October 2015, 11:16 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi guys, I want to know just how bad the s-voice on the gear s2 really is before I make a final decision. Many reviewers keep saying that the s-voice is one of the only bad things about the gear but they never go in to much detail about why exactly.

Is the S-voice technology the same as the ones already on Samsung phones?? I have been playing around with the one on my S6 Edge and it seems quite satisfactory.

15th October 2015, 11:35 PM |#2  
Flag Orange, CA
Thanks Meter: 879

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by srzbznz

Hi guys, I want to know just how bad the s-voice on the gear s2 really is before I make a final decision. Many reviewers keep saying that the s-voice is one of the only bad things about the gear but they never go in to much detail about why exactly.

Is the S-voice technology the same as the ones already on Samsung phones?? I have been playing around with the one on my S6 Edge and it seems quite satisfactory.

The S Voice on the watch can't set reminders, which is stupid. Hopefully Samsung will fix it soon with an update. Also, the wake up voice is a hit-or-miss.

S Voice works better on the phone.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
15th October 2015, 11:43 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimummind

The S Voice on the watch can't set reminders, which is stupid. Hopefully Samsung will fix it soon with an update. Also, the wake up voice is a hit-or-miss.

S Voice works better on the phone.

Thanks for your input! When the wake up voice doesn't pick up is it due to it simply not recognizing the sound or is the watch too far away from your voice? (is distance or volume relevant when it does not work)

How about when the wake up command is actually working? How is the speed and accuracy of the issued commands afterwards? Comparison to google voice?

Thanks
16th October 2015, 12:53 AM |#4  
Flag Seoul, Korea
Thanks Meter: 167

More
I have found it works alright for dictating replies and basic commands like weather and schedule inquiries. It's a bit slow for inquiries so I tend to only use it for replies.

If anything I have found the mic to be too sensitive. On a couple occasions it has woken S-Voice up without my command and if I'm dictating a reply in a room with background noise it will try to write out what's going on in the background.
The Following User Says Thank You to supersoulfly For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift supersoulfly Ad-Free
16th October 2015, 12:54 AM |#5  
Flag Orange, CA
Thanks Meter: 879

Donate to Me
More
Compared to the processing speed of Google Now, it was about half the speed for me. And it has too many confirmations. For instance, once I tell Google who my wife is and command it to call my wife, it remembers and just dials my wife right away.

On S Voice, it asks me to confirm that I really want to call my wife every single time. It's kinda annoying.

As for voice wake up, my success rate goes up if I place my mouth really close to the microphone hole. Otherwise, I have to repeat several times or raise my voice quite a bit.

The Following User Says Thank You to optimummind For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift optimummind Ad-Free
19th October 2015, 04:28 PM |#6  

More
Mine is nearly unusable for me, we have a long last name and still to this day I cannot compose a text message to my wife. All other SVoice commands on the watch are hit or miss at best. If there is background noise forget about it. Coming from a Moto 360 which I was able to dictate in a live auction with 2 announcers and background noise the S2 voice is the suck in comparison. For that reason I find I use it as I used my pebble, to look at time and notifications and thats it. For that reason if I don't see an update this week it is going back.
19th October 2015, 07:00 PM |#7  

More
Mine seems to work just fine. I don't expect it to be perfect, but if you speak clearly it usually works 4 me.
26th October 2015, 08:10 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 79

More
The frustrating thing is that it seems to pick a phone number out of the air when you say "Text Jane Doe". My wife's mobile phone number is the default number in her contact entry, but it picks her work number when I tell s-voice to text her. Basically renders it useless!!!
28th October 2015, 04:27 PM |#9  

More
SLOW is my biggest complaint with svoice. And it recognizes my 4 syllable wake command 1 out of 10 times. So bad, I don't use it and can't give details of other problems as noted above... starting to feel like a $325 (after tax) pedometer.
12th November 2015, 11:55 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I have 0 issues with my 3g edition S voice. Changed the wake up word to "watch command"
13th November 2015, 10:15 PM |#11  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 81

More
Accuracy is very poor compared to Google
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)