Our Groceries app available - "Your Grocery List" in Gear app store

Search This thread

Redflea

Nov 23, 2009
I used the app while shopping today at two different stores, and I felt like **** Tracy. :D For those too young to know, **** Tracy was a detective in the Sunday comics who had a watch he could make video calls on.

But I think this app is even cooler than that. ;)

Redflea

Nov 23, 2009
@cm_walkaround - Christof:

Can you tell me the name of the app (the "package" name, if you know what I'm trying to refer to, not the name of the app in the Gear store).

I'm trying to launch your app from a watch face in WatchMaker app, but the WM app has a bug that is blocking launching non-Samsung apps from their built in tap action options. So I'm going to try launching your app from a command in a script.

The command will be like below, including both the app nick name and the package name:

wm_action("w_app:Your Grocery List`com.xxxxxxx.xxxxxx.xxxxxxx")

I need the nick name (which I assume is Your Grocery List) and the package name.

Thanks.

cm_walkaround

Feb 20, 2017
Hi Redflea,

I extracted this from the manifest:
application id="JqzWEo2vMN.OurGroceries" package="JqzWEo2vMN"
The SDK gave it a somewhat strange ID (not the usual com.* pattern).
Hope this helps.
Regarding one of the requests I got for the app in the app store: I use the watch-widget "flaunt" to keep the grocery list alive during my shopping tours. I'll try to implement this later on but for now, Flaunt works very well.
Best
Christof

Reactions: Redflea

10urshin

Jan 7, 2014
@cm_walkaround - Christof:

Can you tell me the name of the app (the "package" name, if you know what I'm trying to refer to, not the name of the app in the Gear store).

I'm trying to launch your app from a watch face in WatchMaker app, but the WM app has a bug that is blocking launching non-Samsung apps from their built in tap action options. So I'm going to try launching your app from a command in a script.

The command will be like below, including both the app nick name and the package name:

wm_action("w_app:Your Grocery List`com.xxxxxxx.xxxxxx.xxxxxxx")

I need the nick name (which I assume is Your Grocery List) and the package name.

Thanks.

You can run
Code:
pkginfo --listapp
in shell to list all application infos on your watch including app ids.

Hi Redflea,

I extracted this from the manifest:
application id="JqzWEo2vMN.OurGroceries" package="JqzWEo2vMN"
The SDK gave it a somewhat strange ID (not the usual com.* pattern).
Hope this helps.
Regarding one of the requests I got for the app in the app store: I use the watch-widget "flaunt" to keep the grocery list alive during my shopping tours. I'll try to implement this later on but for now, Flaunt works very well.
Best
Christof

For some reason tizen developers go with 10 chars limit for web applications, so all web applications have random id's like that.

Redflea

Nov 23, 2009
You can run
Code:
pkginfo --listapp
in shell to list all application infos on your watch including app ids.

For some reason tizen developers go with 10 chars limit for web applications, so all web applications have random id's like that.

Excellent! Used sdb shell and then your command and it listed everything.

I'm running it in a "DOS" command window. (You can tell how old I am now.) :) The command lists all the apps but the scroll buffer in the window CMD window runs out of space. Is there a way to direct/pipe the output to a file on my (Win10) laptop?

Since I'm running the command in a shell (won't run w/just plain sdb...) is there a way to send the file to my laptop from the shell? I can't pipe it to a file on the watch and then pull it, as when I try to pipe to a text file I get "read only file system."

I have only a slight understanding of what I'm doing, if that's not clear. :D Eager, but sort of non-tech poli sci/mba type.

Last edited:

10urshin

Jan 7, 2014
Excellent! Used sdb shell and then your command and it listed everything.

I'm running it in a "DOS" command window. (You can tell how old I am now.) :).

There is an ansicon.exe in the same path as sdb.exe, better use that instead of dos/cmd.

The command lists all the apps but the scroll buffer in the window CMD window runs out of space. Is there a way to direct/pipe the output to a file on my (Win10) laptop?

Yes
Code:
 sdb.exe shell pkginfo --listapp [B]> asd.txt[/B]
will output into asd.txt

You can also do
Code:
pkginfo --listapp | grep Appid
if all you need is app ids.

Since I'm running the command in a shell (won't run w/just plain sdb...) is there a way to send the file to my laptop from the shell? I can't pipe it to a file on the watch and then pull it, as when I try to pipe to a text file I get "read only file system."

either use
Code:
sdb push{local_file_path} {remote file_path}
and
Code:
 sdb pull {remote_file_path} {local_file_path}
to push pull files or use Connection Explorer view in tizen studio. To get around "read only file system" push your files into /tmp/

Last edited:

Redflea

Nov 23, 2009
@10urshin, thanks! I have my text file exported to my PC via this from you. The info you provided above is going into my "save forever" cache. :)

Code:
 sdb.exe shell pkginfo --listapp > asd.txt

So my evil plan is to use this info to launch the Christof's app from a watch made in the WatchMaker app, using a script. There is an option in the WM app to set Tap actions and choose apps from the watch via a drop-down, but for some reason the built-in tap actions don't work (yet?) with non-Samsung apps on the watch.

So I'm trying to use the Lua-based scripting in the WM app to use a short script to launch the WM app from an object on my watch face. I'm using the following script suggested by another person in the WM G+ forum, which does not work, unfortunately. I've tried several variations of below, swapping package and appid places, etc.

syntax: wm_action("w_app:<package>'<Appid>")

Code:
wm_action("w_app:JqzWEo2vMN'JqzWEo2vMN.OurGroceries")

App info from the pkginfo command:
Appid: JqzWEo2vMN.OurGroceries
Package: JqzWEo2vMN
Exec: /opt/usr/apps/JqzWEo2vMN/bin/JqzWEo2vMN.OurGroceries
Apptype: webapp
Appcomp: uiapp
Pkgtype: wgt
Icon: /opt/usr/apps/JqzWEo2vMN/shared/res/JqzWEo2vMN.OurGroceries.png
Label: YourGroceryList
Effectimage-Type: image
Aliasappid:
component: uiapp

Any experience w/Lua that would suggest a different approach to launch Christof's app via script?

Christof - apologies for thread hijack, but I hope that this will enable others to launch your app from their watch faces for quicker/easier access.

Last edited:

10urshin

Jan 7, 2014
@10urshin, thanks! I have my text file exported to my PC via this from you. The info you provided above is going into my "save forever" cache. :)

Code:
 sdb.exe shell pkginfo --listapp > asd.txt

So my evil plan is to use this info to launch the Christof's app from a watch made in the WatchMaker app, using a script. There is an option in the WM app to set Tap actions and choose apps from the watch via a drop-down, but for some reason the built-in tap actions don't work (yet?) with non-Samsung apps on the watch.

So I'm trying to use the Lua-based scripting in the WM app to use a short script to launch the WM app from an object on my watch face. I'm using the following script suggested by another person in the WM G+ forum, which does not work, unfortunately. I've tried several variations of below, swapping package and appid places, etc.

syntax: wm_action("w_app:<package>'<Appid>")

script: wm_action("w_app:JqzWEo2vMN'JqzWEo2vMN.OurGroceries")

App info from the pkginfo command:
Appid: JqzWEo2vMN.OurGroceries
Package: JqzWEo2vMN
Exec: /opt/usr/apps/JqzWEo2vMN/bin/JqzWEo2vMN.OurGroceries
Apptype: webapp
Appcomp: uiapp
Pkgtype: wgt
Icon: /opt/usr/apps/JqzWEo2vMN/shared/res/JqzWEo2vMN.OurGroceries.png
Label: YourGroceryList
Effectimage-Type: image
Aliasappid:
component: uiapp

Any experience w/Lua that would suggest a different approach to launch Christof's app via script?

Hmm I don't really have Lua experience much but even if i did that wm_action method is inside the watchmaker, so unless you have knowledge about how that method works, lua experience wont bring much to the table.

I saw this post by developer of watchmaker Alex Curran https://plus.google.com/102436534884531510368/posts/YEq6tiFFict , that is the version he implemented tap actions for gear, maybe you didn't updated the companion app or samsung did not released it on store yet? Better ask a question tagging Alex on Google+ group to get a better answer.

Redflea

Nov 23, 2009
Hmm I don't really have Lua experience much but even if i did that wm_action method is inside the watchmaker, so unless you have knowledge about how that method works, lua experience wont bring much to the table.

I saw this post by developer of watchmaker Alex Curran https://plus.google.com/102436534884531510368/posts/YEq6tiFFict , that is the version he implemented tap actions for gear, maybe you didn't updated the companion app or samsung did not released it on store yet? Better ask a question tagging Alex on Google+ group to get a better answer.

Thanks very much. WM app actually uses Lua for its scripting, interestingly.

Yes, I'm running the Tizen beta that supports this, and have asked Alex in the G+ forum and via email and he hasn't responded, unfortunately. I'll ping him again... :) Thanks for all the help you provided!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

cm_walkaround

Feb 20, 2017
Hi @ all,

FYI:
I will recode this app in native C/C++ style for the next release to get all the features we need (the web-app was just to get the job done quickly). Accordingly, the ID will also change..

Best
Christof

Reactions: Techvir and Redflea

Redflea

Nov 23, 2009
This works on my S2

wm_action("w_app:JqzWEo2vMN`JqzWEo2vMN.OurGroceries")

Thanks! Someone in the G+ community also figured it out...have to use ` and not ' between the package and app ID! So subtle I missed it even when looking at the corrected version next to what I was using. :)

Now we have the secret recipe to launch. When the ID changes w/the new native version, Christof can share the new ID (or we can pull it) and keep launching. :)

Redflea

Nov 23, 2009
Hi @ all,

FYI:
I will recode this app in native C/C++ style for the next release to get all the features we need (the web-app was just to get the job done quickly). Accordingly, the ID will also change..

Best
Christof

That sounds great, Christof. I really wish I had been born w/the right wiring/talent to write software, I imagine it's quite rewarding to create. :)

Thanks for sharing your cool toys w/us.

Redflea

Nov 23, 2009
Hi @ all,

FYI:

Best
Christof

Christof:

Checking back to see if you're still thinking about a C/C++ version.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mr neutron

Dec 5, 2015
not in East Africa
@christof
No new suggestions to add. Those already stated are excellent ones.
Just wanted to say thanks for this app. Installed it on Gear S2 with a GearWatchDev face that I made which includes a tapzone using the previously mentioned app id.
Ready to make a PayPal donation to you or to pay on Gear App Store when the kinks are worked out.

Wishing you Great Success.:good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just started..

Hi folks,
    just started to code a client for ourgroceries on the S3 (just asked OurGroceries if its ok for them to use the name in the app.. lets see).
    Still need to implement a store for the credentials, but apart from that the minimal version is almost finished. "Features" are:
    - show all lists -> select a list (also with bezel-scroll)
    - show all items of selected list -> tap to cross off
    For now, I am not displaying crossed off items at all (="shopping" use-case). But I plan to extend that asap.
    I hope to get this minimal thing working by the end of the week and hope, ourgroceries is positive about my request.

Best
    Christof
    Submitted

Hi folks,

the developer gave me a positive feedback and I finished & submitted the app to the store.
    I also noted in the app-description, that I am a private developer and not in any way related to the OurGroceries-service.
    It should take some days for the review process, but I hope it goes through.
    Thanks for your suggestions, I'll upgrade the app from time to time (I do this in my free-time which is needed for other things for now).
    Would be happy if you leave feedback here or in the app store.

Best
    Christof
    NEW

The Your Grocery List app is available in the Gear app store! Install it from the Gear app on your phone, enter your email address and PW to sign into your Our Groceries account on the watch, and start shopping! Thank you, Christoff!

Requires an account w/Our Groceries. Does not require the Our Groceries app on your phone, but that is highly recommended (it's simply a great shopping list app - once you/your family start using it you'll wonder how you got by without it). :)

You can create your Our Groceries account from the Our Groceries app on the phone, or at www.ourgroceries.com.

This is a community developed app, Christoff (developer) contacted Our Groceries and they were supportive of him releasing it. :)

Currently the app does not have "push" auto-sync w/the Our Groceries server, so use the Refresh button in the app to update before shopping (in case changes have been made to the shopping list from another client). All changes on the watch to your shopping lists are immediately sync'd w/the Our Groceries server. Christoff is investigating auto-sync from the server to the watch.

Old:
    Any enterprising developers who also have to go shopping for groceries (100% of you!) - you could look into the Our Groceries app!

It's probably the best shopping list app available on Android (nearly instant sync across multiple devices, extremely flexible list management, super easy to use UI, regular maintenance and updates from developer, etc.

Would be great to have a Tizen client to view current list of items and check off as purchased from the watch.

Willing to provide beer money to help get this started. :)

UPDATE: Member cm_walkaround has started working on a native app solution for Our Groceries sync. See this post (#6).

UPDATE 2 WOOT! Christoff just announced that he released the app to the Gear store today (Feb 21) in this post (#9). It will take several days to a week for Samsung to review and approve it. They control the final actual release of the app in the Gear watch store, so hopefully they will complete their review promptly.

The app is called Your Grocery List. (Christof did not call it "Our Groceries" to avoid confusion about the source of the app).

Thanks (mine and all other Our Grocery users) for looking into this!
    Hi folks,

seems to be plausible - the app simply requests an item to be checked and returns immediately. I will insert an update indicator that prevents you from checking things too fast. I hope to implement a better syncing routine in the future (=delayed sync) - currently, I can only work with the functions that I got from their website (don't know how they implemented it in the app).

Sorry for the limited functionality..
    Best
    Christof

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

I will fix this by auto-updating the grocery-list.

Best
    Christof
    Hi everyone,

wow - that is some instant & constructive feedback, thanks a lot :)!

1. The login entry field is cut-off on ...
    You're right, this is pretty annoying. This should be easy to fix - will be in the next release (after the one that is currently in validation).
    2. Just thought I'd share this for others, who like me, ..
    I'll try to improve that as good as possible.. I have to look at other apps how this is solved.
    3. My favorite feature in the app on the phone is the long-press
    Right, in my current testing it was also pretty annoying to accidentally cross off an item. I'll try to make this a little safer (without adding hassle to the uix).
    4. Can you explain about the Update button in the app, please?
    Currently, there is no push from the server that informs my app about changes in the lists. So this update button has to be pressed, each time you think that the list could have been updated externally. All changes within the watch-app are of course synced immediately (an offline/delayed sync would be great.. but that will take some time).
    This is kind of a workaround until I can implement such a push/autosync-behaviour (I don't know how this is done in the android client.. might take some time to figure out).
    5. Can you add visual feedback on the List of Lists ..
    Absolutely, I'll do this in the next release.
    6. When scrolling through the List of Lists, if you pause
    Interesting.. while programming, I figured out, that sometimes exceptions are called when clicking lists (in that case, nothing happened and you had to click it again..). This happened in around 4-5% of all clicks, so it was hard to debug.. Maybe this is related to your observation. I'll try to fix that asap (no promises).
    7. The Menu option (three dots) currently goes directly to an option to change
    I planned to do a separate "settings" section comparable to other watch apps as soon as there are more options to change (which will be quite soon). I wanted to implement an auto-tilt feature, so you could scroll through a list by tilting your arm back and forward (this can be turned off of course & speed and accel. will be adjustable). Goal is to not have to use your other hand to use the app (together with "Flaunt", which keeps the screen open, this should be possible).
    8. The current sort for the List of Lists is alphabetical. ..
    This should be easy to do.. I will also try to implement a relative sorting feature as mentioned by DaWeav, so the order depends on how you crossed-off your items last time.. don't know how easy that is, though.
    Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I know you wanted to make this for your own uses, but you could have done so and just used it on your own, but you chose to share which is a very nice thing to do.
    Thanks for the nice words! I really have to say, that I enjoyed this little project so far.. and making other people happy is a nice add-on.

I don't know when the next release will go online.. March will be quite busy for me, so maybe start of April? Lets see.. -
    Best
    Christof