FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Debian Linux Wakeup Problems

6 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By kentborg, Junior Member on 5th July 2018, 07:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I managed to get Debian booting on my Gemini PDA wifi version pretty easily.

Certainly there are rough edges, but it looks like it will be useful...but for one problem. I can't reliably get it to sleep and wake.

I don't mean the "Sleep" and "Hibernate" options from the "Leave" menu--I have never gotten them to work at all. I'm just trying to get the "Off" feature on the Esc key to work. Or the lid close, either would do.

Trying to reproduce the problem I have had lots of theories of what exactly it takes to make it fail, but none seem to verify. The problem is frequent but erratic.

I do have a clue. The world map screen (the one with the various sized circles) where I type my password tends to do a brightness change; it appears bright, then I think adjusts to the ambient light. In the cases where I see it fail I think it does the same thing, but instead of adjusting to a new brightness it goes black. (No, I can't successfully type my password blind.)

When this does happen, I think the computer is still running, I think I have been ssh-ed in and that was still alive.

Any others had problems with the lockscreen and found what's the problem or a workaround?

Thanks,

-kb

5th July 2018, 09:00 PM |#2  
OP Junior Member

More
More Info: Network Related
More experimenting and the lockscreen seems reliable as long as wifi is on. If wifi is turned off, it is unreliable. Not 100% failure, but significant.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

-kb, the Kent who wants wifi off to save power.
19th September 2018, 01:36 AM |#3  

More
I can confirm this issue. And Wifi-on does not avoid it, as I had WiFi always on when this happened. Genrally Fn-ESC for screen locking works and unlocking (world map) also. But sometimes, always after longer times of inactivity, the device does not wake up at all. Screen stays black, blind-typing the password does not work, at least the screen stays black. Only solution in this case I found so far is Fn-ESC (aka "Off") until the device is powered off and reboot.

Edit:
Just happened quite shortly after a reboot, so the "always after longer period of inactivity" seems not to apply.
And the UI seems not to work/respond at all. Trying to - blindly, via keyboard - login and shutdown via systemmenu does not work too - typing pwd, Enter, Ctrl+Esc, three times cursor up, one time right, four times down and two times Enter
19th September 2018, 11:45 AM |#4  

More
Partial workround
Using ssh
sudo service sddm restart
gets you to the initial login screen.

As I'm not allowed to post links: See my post on oesf.org forum, topic 35528 for further comments/notes
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)