FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Increase forum privacy

439 posts
Thanks Meter: 144

By BlankBlackDroid, Senior Member on 10th August 2018, 02:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Results for forum.xda-developers.com:
5 third-party cookies (.facebook.com ; .scorecardresearch.com ; .viglink.com ; .cdn.viglink.com ; www.facebook.com
74 (-3 which XDA related) third-party requests to 20 unique hosts (Google ; Criteo ; Facebook ; VigLink ; comScore ; Cloudflare ; Servebom)

You should remove that external stuff to increase our privacy, which also increase our security too.

More infos:
Quote:

The site loads fonts from Google Fonts. While these are hosted on resource-specific domains and no cookies are sent, Google could possibly cross-reference the data (IP and browser fingerprint) with other Google services to identify visitors. Do they? Their own FAQ is vague: "We do log records of the CSS and the font file requests, and access to this data is on a need-to-know basis and kept secure." What "need-to-know basis" means is not explained.

-> Fonts can easily be self-hosted. The tool google-webfonts-helper lets you select one or more fonts, generates the proper CSS and prepares a zip file with the fonts. For a command-line alternative, the shell script google-font-download provides similar functionality.

Quote:

The site is loading libraries from one or more CDN:s.

-> Self-host the files.

Quote:

The site is using Google Analytics. While this is a powerful tool, we think you should respect your users' privacy and not tell Google about them — at least not without your users' consent.

-> Matomo (formerly Piwik) is an excellent alternative. It's free software (PHP & MySQL) and you run it on your own server, meaning you are in control of the data. It offers various privacy settings and, unlike Google Analytics, it can be used without cookies. (While analytics might be considered essential by some websites, another alternative is don't track people just because you can. Visitors do not, in fact, have an implicit obligation to help you optimize things.)

19th August 2018, 04:41 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
*push*
No answer?
19th August 2018, 08:17 PM |#3  
Moderator Committee / XDA Labs Contributor
Forest stage inhabited by robot bats, mechanical hares and atomic chickens
Thanks Meter: 17,427

More
Maybe @bitpushr or @MikeChannon could help here?

Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wood Man For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wood Man Ad-Free
20th August 2018, 10:38 AM |#4  
Forum Admin
Thanks Meter: 11,995

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankBlackDroid

*push*
No answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Man

Maybe @bitpushr or @MikeChannon could help here?

Thanks

These things are mostly outwith my scope but there are ways to block or stop some of these things like viglink, google analytics:

https://www.xda-developers.com/xda-d...rivacy-policy/

Other ways might include editing your hosts file eg.

1. Run Command Prompt as an administrator. This can be done by searching for “cmd” and then right click on the entry for “cmd” and then click on “Run as administrator.” For Windows 10 users, you can right click on the Start Icon and then click on “Command Prompt (Admin).”
  2. Type in the command notepad "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts"
  3. At the bottom of the text file add a new line with the value of 0.0.0.0 google-analytics.com along with a line for the domain www.google-analytics.com.
  4. Save the text file and then close out of all web browsers you have opened. Sometimes you will need to restart your computer for changes to take place.
As I said above though, these things are under the control of @svetius , @bitpushr

Mike
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeChannon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MikeChannon Ad-Free
20th August 2018, 11:18 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Block stuff isnt a solution.
A change on forum side is needed.

Thats the reason for this thread
20th August 2018, 04:00 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 5,822

More
Due to the size of this forum, moving things from a cdn to self hosting is not going to work. The forum would never load.

They will be using analytics to determine data/traffic etc...all required. Its information for them to better serve you.

cookies are cookies...nuff said.

Using google fonts offsets server load - Again, required due to the size of the forum

I do most of this on my own website, its standard practice - I also use cloudflare which speeds things up.

XDA is not harming your security or privacy doing things this way
20th August 2018, 04:43 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Its standard practive to sell user data to companies like google? Please.
Also fonts isnt a server load problem.

I think you dont understand what i post here. Cookies are dont just cookies. Cookies from own domain (first-party) are okay, but not third-party-cookies from companies which doesnt increase anything and just sell the user data.
Its hard to read such a "i dont care about user privacy" statement.
20th August 2018, 04:57 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 5,822

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankBlackDroid

Its standard practive to sell user data to companies like google? Please.
Also fonts isnt a server load problem.

I think you dont understand what i post here. Cookies are dont just cookies. Cookies from own domain (first-party) are okay, but not third-party-cookies from companies which doesnt increase anything and just sell the user data.
Its hard to read such a "i dont care about user privacy" statement.

i doubt anything anyone posts here will satisfy you
The Following User Says Thank You to DSA For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DSA Ad-Free
20th August 2018, 07:52 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 535

More
If some of the cdn libraries used on this site is included with this add-on you can use Decentraleyes..that's all I can think of
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...decentraleyes/
20th August 2018, 08:27 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Again, a change on server side is needed.

I already use uBlock Origin, uMatrix, Decentraleyes, PiHole, and so one. But this doesnt increase the whole "privacy by default" and "data minimization"
Its your choice if you want increase the privacy for all users or just dont care and only recommend ways how to block stuff and may got not all features the forum provide
21st November 2018, 01:12 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
*Push*
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
forum, privacy, security, webkoll

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)