FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

NoScript, uBlock, and XDA forum posting

149 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By AllanonMage, Senior Member on 30th May 2018, 07:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
It's been a while since I posted (I usually read more than post), and I had to turn off a few things I normally keep on to protect my web browsing. I was wondering if there was a specific list of settings to manipulate to make XDA work properly.

Today, I had to disable uBlock Origin to be able to post. I had to allow scripts from several domains to be able to post and search the forum. It wasn't exactly obvious what I needed, and for the forum search you have to allow cloudflare before you can allow the search provider.

I can't recall a time I've had to disable uBlock before I could interact with a webform either.

Is there a list of minimum scripting and ad domains?
How are ad networks' scripts/ads related to be able to post?

Reading the forum works fine with no scripting allowed, and ad blocking turned on. I block scripts and malware to prevent malvertising and malware infections.

10th April 2019, 12:18 PM |#2  
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Same issue with me today. Looks like XDA is using a new login form/method and now I can't login easily like I used to.

I'm using UBlock Origin with Vivaldi. If I delete ALL cookies and try to login, the login process doesn't complete successfully. If I turn off UBlock Origin for XDA-Developers OR I whitelist the site, I still can't login. If I do that and delete all cookies, still can't login. The ONLY fix is to disable Ublock Origin completely, delete all cookies, then I can login OK.

So it looks like XDA has some sort of script that detects if adblockers are in use. Even if you whitelist the site in the adblocker, you can't seem to login properly. I also have anti-adblock killer userscripts and extra integrations with Ublock Origin and I guess neither of those are doing its thing on XDA.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)