FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Please increase Thanks limit to more than 8

632 posts
Thanks Meter: 108
 
Thread Closed Email Thread
I understand not wanting to "devalue" the Thanks feature. I get that. But consider this scenario:

You get a brand new phone (like, my new LG G3!). You need a guide to how to hack that specific device, which may need a guide just to figure out which guide to use if there are carrier specific models! You need to figure out how to unlock the bootloader, which requires rolling back the firmware, using a flashing tool, installing a new image, etc. Then you need to root. Then you need a recovery environment. Then you need a ROM, and perhaps a kernel. And some software.

You can see where this is going. That first day, you might want to thank 20 different people for their contributions! These are legitimate thanks, you're just doing more on XDA that day then you usually are.

I really don't see why 8 is the limit in these scenarios. Why not increase it like 20? Still limited, but more realistic on "busy" days like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Protonus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Protonus Ad-Free
6th January 2015, 05:05 AM |#2  
KidCarter93's Avatar
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Coventry, UK
Thanks Meter: 7,272
 
10
Donate to Me
More
I presume that one of the main reasons why the limit is unlikely to be increased is due to what you already stated - devaluing the Thanks feature.
The Thanks count on people's profiles is, in my opinion, kinda irrelevant as is because it doesn't help gauge a members helpfulness/quality of work etc. That's proven by those members who post junk and can still get a bunch of Thanks on that post. Increasing the limit will increase the chances of that happening and will therefore mean the Thanks meter on members profiles will count for even less.

The limit has been 8 for quite a while and will probably stay that way because generally all 8 won't be used in a single day anyway. There are, of course, exceptions (just like the situation you described or perhaps you'd feel the need to use more if you hang around in some of the theme threads for example) but you could always use your available Thanks and then Thank the other posts the following day. I realize that may not exactly be ideal but is certainly a way around.
Using a mobile app to access the forums will give you more to use, so that's probably a more viable option for you, rather than waiting for a different day to hand them out.
6th January 2015, 07:19 AM |#3  
zelendel's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Anchorage
Thanks Meter: 20,925
 
More
What he said. Almost no one even pays attention to the thanks meter any more, only new members even bother with it. It was made pointless long ago.
NOOK!E
6th January 2015, 01:12 PM |#4  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
@KidCarter93 @zelendel

Well, then, in that light, what would you suggest for me (and other XDA users) to do:
  • Continue giving people "Thanks!" when they have earned them even though nobody really cares about them anymore; or
  • Stop giving people "Thanks!" altogether because they are useless and have no value.

Which do you think is the best plan?
6th January 2015, 03:11 PM |#5  
Protonus's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Webster, NY
Thanks Meter: 108
 
Donate to Me
More
I think the thanks is a nice touch. I try to donate to people whenever possible. Some people don't want, or won't accept donations though. I'm sure those people still enjoy being thanked.

I think if the way the older members and site staff feel about Thanks is as indicated above, than the feature should just be removed.

Else, I think the limit should be removed. It's a quick change. I don't really see the harm in a post getting too many thanks.

I have left tabs open in my browser from yesterday, for the people I need to thank still. I still can't thank them because the time hasn't rolled around yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Protonus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Protonus Ad-Free
6th January 2015, 03:56 PM |#6  
orangekid's Avatar
Moderator Liaison / Bacon is Life
Thanks Meter: 9,275
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonus

I understand not wanting to "devalue" the Thanks feature. I get that. But consider this scenario:

You get a brand new phone (like, my new LG G3!). You need a guide to how to hack that specific device, which may need a guide just to figure out which guide to use if there are carrier specific models! You need to figure out how to unlock the bootloader, which requires rolling back the firmware, using a flashing tool, installing a new image, etc. Then you need to root. Then you need a recovery environment. Then you need a ROM, and perhaps a kernel. And some software.

You can see where this is going. That first day, you might want to thank 20 different people for their contributions! These are legitimate thanks, you're just doing more on XDA that day then you usually are.

I really don't see why 8 is the limit in these scenarios. Why not increase it like 20? Still limited, but more realistic on "busy" days like this.

that's maybe 8 thanks right there in your OP (S OFF then root, recovery, ROM, guides), and it's a one time deal... Also that phone is the extreme case...

I don't see where you'd need 20 honestly.
The Following User Says Thank You to orangekid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th January 2015, 10:12 PM |#7  
KidCarter93's Avatar
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Coventry, UK
Thanks Meter: 7,272
 
10
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ИΘΘK¡€

@KidCarter93 @zelendel

Well, then, in that light, what would you suggest for me (and other XDA users) to do:

  • Continue giving people "Thanks!" when they have earned them even though nobody really cares about them anymore; or
  • Stop giving people "Thanks!" altogether because they are useless and have no value.

Which do you think is the best plan?

I'd say continue to use them as you have been considering they still serve a purpose. They were added to the site so that it would cut down on posts simply saying "Thanks", thus cluttering the threads with posts which add no value to the threads. In that respect, the Thanks button has done it's job effectively.

The thing is, even though we've said that not many people really care about the Thanks, it's more the Thanks count which is irrelevant. A lot of members still like to receive Thanks as it's, generally, a quick and easy way for the member to know that they've been able to help someone out in one way or another.

I don't hand out many Thanks these days considering I don't often need help with anything and therefore wouldn't need to Thank someone for helping me out. But when I have been helped out, I will certainly give them a Thank considering that's what it's used for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonus

I think the thanks is a nice touch. I try to donate to people whenever possible. Some people don't want, or won't accept donations though. I'm sure those people still enjoy being thanked.

I think if the way the older members and site staff feel about Thanks is as indicated above, than the feature should just be removed.

Else, I think the limit should be removed. It's a quick change. I don't really see the harm in a post getting too many thanks.

I have left tabs open in my browser from yesterday, for the people I need to thank still. I still can't thank them because the time hasn't rolled around yet.

As mentioned above, it's not necessarily the Thanks button that I have a problem with but more the Thanks count (purely because in a lot of cases it leads to people wanting to get a lot of Thanks, for no real reason, simply so their Thanks meter can look more impressive as they can "beat" other members total Thanks.

That being the case, I still think the limit shouldn't be removed considering it can be a vague (sometimes more vague than others) way to gauge how helpful a member has been over their time as a member. The only part of the Thanks system which I'd like to see removed is the Thanks meter, but as it's still intact there's likely a reason the admins have got for leaving it as is.
6th January 2015, 10:26 PM |#8  
zelendel's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Anchorage
Thanks Meter: 20,925
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ИΘΘK¡€

@KidCarter93 @zelendel

Well, then, in that light, what would you suggest for me (and other XDA users) to do:

  • Continue giving people "Thanks!" when they have earned them even though nobody really cares about them anymore; or
  • Stop giving people "Thanks!" altogether because they are useless and have no value.

Which do you think is the best plan?


The best thanks you can give anyone is by learning and sharing what you learned. Many developers are more excited and happy to see someone that took what they learned and then turned around and gave back to the community.

If it makes you feel better then by all means. Continue to give thanks.
NOOK!E
6th January 2015, 10:30 PM |#9  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCarter93

I'd say continue to use them as you have been considering they still serve a purpose. They were added to the site so that it would cut down on posts simply saying "Thanks", thus cluttering the threads with posts which add no value to the threads. In that respect, the Thanks button has done it's job effectively.

Thank you, and agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCarter93

The thing is, even though we've said that not many people really care about the Thanks, it's more the Thanks count which is irrelevant. A lot of members still like to receive Thanks as it's, generally, a quick and easy way for the member to know that they've been able to help someone out in one way or another.

I also agree and am among the "a lot of members" you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCarter93

I don't hand out many Thanks these days considering I don't often need help with anything and therefore wouldn't need to Thank someone for helping me out. But when I have been helped out, I will certainly give them a Thank considering that's what it's used for.

I am in pretty much the same boat - I mostly help other people nowadays, very rarely do I need or request help. However, I do generally use up all of my Thanks per day on posts that, for example, I don't want/need to reply to but I do want the member to know I saw it and liked it.

So, that's my two cents on the matter. Thanks again!

EDIT - @zelendel, thank you, too, for your sage advice.
8th January 2015, 02:43 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 151
 
More
Question When does the Limit Refreh?
At which time in GMT+1 can i re-do 8 Thanks?
8th January 2015, 09:30 PM |#11  
KidCarter93's Avatar
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Coventry, UK
Thanks Meter: 7,272
 
10
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah Stern

At which time in GMT+1 can i re-do 8 Thanks?

You can use your next days thanks 24 hours after the previous days. So if you use your first Thank at 10AM, your first one the next day couldn't be used until 10AM
The Following User Says Thank You to KidCarter93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KidCarter93 Ad-Free
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
limit, member, xda
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes