FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

XDA not loading well in Chrome

1,871 posts
Thanks Meter: 753

By calisro, Senior Member on 20th October 2016, 02:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
For months now i've had problems using xda. The loading would hang and wait. If I looked at the developer tools in chrome, I can clearly see that for some reason it was constantly pending loading at objects attached to hosts like this:

www1-lw.xda-cdn.com
www2-lw.xda-cdn.com
forum.xda-cdn.com
forum-lw-1.xda-cdn.com
forum-lw-2.xda-cdn.com

It was failing to load with Chrome on Android, Linux, and Windows. Firefox would load correctly. Interesting thing is that when I connect via a VPN and then test with Chrome it would load fine. I would say it is just my IP address and routing but this has been over a period of time when my ISP IP address has changed. I've verified that and it is still an issue. I have no other issues with any other site.

If there are details I can provide, let me know. If this is the wrong forum for a problem like this, let me know that too. I've gotten to the point that I block the listed cdn addresses in my hostfile so that they immediately fail and my pages load but obviously that rids me of images and other elements along with not letting you guys recoup cost for ADs.

There seems to be something with the CDNs XDA uses.

20th October 2016, 07:01 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 26,917

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisro

For months now i've had problems using xda. The loading would hang and wait. If I looked at the developer tools in chrome, I can clearly see that for some reason it was constantly pending loading at objects attached to hosts like this:

www1-lw.xda-cdn.com
www2-lw.xda-cdn.com
forum.xda-cdn.com
forum-lw-1.xda-cdn.com
forum-lw-2.xda-cdn.com

It was failing to load with Chrome on Android, Linux, and Windows. Firefox would load correctly. Interesting thing is that when I connect via a VPN and then test with Chrome it would load fine. I would say it is just my IP address and routing but this has been over a period of time when my ISP IP address has changed. I've verified that and it is still an issue. I have no other issues with any other site.

If there are details I can provide, let me know. If this is the wrong forum for a problem like this, let me know that too. I've gotten to the point that I block the listed cdn addresses in my hostfile so that they immediately fail and my pages load but obviously that rids me of images and other elements along with not letting you guys recoup cost for ADs.

how is your internet connection? and do you use a an add blocker?
20th October 2016, 07:18 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag noneya

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

how is your internet connection? and do you use a an add blocker?

Connection is fine. Its a 100M UP/DOWN connection. No adblocking. Zero issues for anything else. I stream a lot of data from various sources. Im a very heavy user and never have any issues with any site but XDA. The fact that it works over the VPN is interesting since it would route it through a different path. The fact that it loads fine without the VPN connection in firefox only is also interesting. As I said, this has been going on for a long time. I'm quote sure it isn't my 'connection'. Of course it could be routing or a problem with the CDNs.

All other page elements load correctly except for all the CDN URLs according to the developer tools in Chrome. The problem is the page won't actually 'render' anything until the CDNs timeout.
20th October 2016, 07:39 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 26,917

More
Quote:

Connection is fine. Its a 100M UP/DOWN connection. No adblocking. Zero issues for anything else. I stream a lot of data from various sources. Im a very heavy user and never have any issues with any site but XDA. The fact that it works over the VPN is interesting since it would route it through a different path. The fact that it loads fine without the VPN connection in firefox only is also interesting. As I said, this has been going on for a long time. I'm quote sure it isn't my 'connection'. Of course it could be routing or a problem with the CDNs.

All other page elements load correctly except for all the CDN URLs according to the developer tools in Chrome. The problem is the page won't actually 'render' anything until the CDNs timeout.

i know ill probably get a talking to, but try an ad blocker. xda is chalk full of ads, very very many! that could have an affect. btw, i use adfree http://adfree.odiousapps.com/adfree.apk
20th October 2016, 09:10 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag noneya

Donate to Me
More
It goes further. Even with an adblocker, the page doesn't load properly. Some of those CDNs load real elements. So even with ads being blocked, page would still not load.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calisro For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift calisro Ad-Free
12th November 2016, 02:36 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 226

More
Same here. Browser is irrelevant. "Waiting for www1-lw.xda-cdn.com..."
24th November 2016, 05:39 AM |#7  
Flag London, UK
Thanks Meter: 1,650

More
I'm having the same issue. "Waiting for www1-lw.xda-cdn.com..."
17th December 2016, 07:48 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:

www1-lw.xda-cdn.com
www2-lw.xda-cdn.com
forum.xda-cdn.com
forum-lw-1.xda-cdn.com
forum-lw-2.xda-cdn.com

Are you using chrome 53? Upgrade to Chrome application and platforms with version 55, then try again.

https://knowledge.rapidssl.com/suppo...ewlocale=en_US
17th December 2016, 02:04 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Noticed this, has this to do with adblocker?
22nd December 2016, 08:39 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
My chrome will load slow/hang if i visit xda(open many tabs) with whitelisted adblock(ublock). When hang I can see under taskmanager the page consuming 1gig+ ram. Sites like gsmarena is fine whitelisted, no performance issues so maybe you can see what they're doing right.
23rd December 2016, 01:03 PM |#11  
Colchester
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I haven't been able to go to the main xda page for over a week now on Chrome, with or without adblock on, it loads in IE but who wants to use that?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)