FORUMS

XDA pop up to malware site..ads

104 posts
Thanks Meter: 11

By elliotn, Senior Member on 9th June 2016, 06:26 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
This annoying really, I know XDA needs to make money buy those pop redirect malware sites makes the whole XDA experience hell. It has happened couple of times were I automatically redirected and had to close that tab to get away from them. On Android it's worse as just navigating the xda-developers just redirect to this ads... please XDA those ads are annoying. Anyone seen this or its me
14th June 2016, 09:34 AM |#2  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 102

More
Yes, I've had this a couple of times. Pop-up window and a large alert box, also triggers haptic feedback and blocks use of the back button. Only ever seen this on XDA, too.

I appreciate that XDA needs to make money from advertising, but this why it's no real surprise that people turn to ad blockers.
15th June 2016, 01:43 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
This happened to me. It is off putting. Hopefully something gets resolved.
15th June 2016, 08:20 PM |#4  
XDA:Administrator
Thanks Meter: 2,780

More
We 'forbid' popup ads, however sometimes they get through our ad partners' filters and show up on the site, hopefully not for long. If you ever see them, you can report them on the ad thread - if you have screenshots of the ad it helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to bitpushr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bitpushr Ad-Free
17th September 2016, 09:38 PM |#5  
Flag Backwoods NC
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Same here. Get some redirect with a pop up, and it vibrates my phone. You don't need a screenshot, just browse the forum with Chrome and no ad blocking, and you'll get hit. I also think it 'injects' something in chromes data as once I get hit here, I can browse other sites and get the same pop up until I clear Chromes data (losing my history and logins). I don't know what the pop up is because I don't take time to read it as it freaks me out and I close it.
20th September 2016, 03:11 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I've been hit with ads like this a lot too. It's a shame there's no option in Chrome to disable vibration, it's super annoying.
22nd September 2016, 07:58 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 82

More
+1

I am getting redirected like crazy today - its annoying!

Omg!
I was getting redirected 6 times trying to edit this post!

Fix it please!
25th September 2016, 10:31 PM |#8  

More
And today no redirects but a lot of prompts from *.js files which wants to be opened.
25th September 2016, 11:37 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
This is the reason I only come here when I absolutely have to.

Don't use ads for revenue. You are literally being paid by malware distributors to infect users.

It's especially bad because it's a site about mobile, but you have to visit the site on a desktop with adblock, otherwise you risk becoming infected by a 0day.

Drop your ad network partner NOW, they clearly have no intention of cleaning up their act.

Not only are there spam ads, pop-ups, and redirects, the ads that dont take over make the page SUPER slow on a mobile. They eat up JS the performance.

It's time for a change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160926-070638.png
Views:	86
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	3886246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160926-070646.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	3886247  
30th September 2016, 09:25 PM |#10  

More
Still a lot of .js files popping up wanting to be opened

Hello XDA admins - you are using a rogue advertiser who seems to want to infect my PC - wake up?!?
3rd October 2016, 05:20 PM |#11  
Senior Moderator - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"
Thanks Meter: 59,081

Donate to Me
More
Members there is a thread in place, use it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1696660

Thread here closed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Castle For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Frank Castle Ad-Free
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread