FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Review of Anker PowerCore+ Mini 3350 mAh lipstick battery w/lots of pics!!!

3,401 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,642

By vectron, Senior Member on 29th May 2015, 02:17 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is a Review of Anker PowerCore+ Mini 3350 mAh �lipstick� external battery. http://www.ianker.com/product/A1105011.

When it comes to external batteries, bigger capacity doesn�t necessary mean a better battery. Yes, we always look for the best price/performance/capacity ratio, but with batteries you need to figure out the capacity per need ratio. When you are at home and need a backup battery, get the largest capacity you can find � there is no need to drag it around so it could be as heavy as it comes. When you are traveling, maybe a compromise of a smaller capacity in exchange for a lighter weight is the better way to go. But for everyday portable use where you need an emergency backup � the smallest footprint with the largest capacity you can find is what you should be looking for. Even so Astro is already small and portable, it will be hard to beat Anker�s latest �lipstick� PowerCore+ Mini with 3,350 mAh.

I know some will say capacity of only 3,350 mAh?!? We get spoiled quickly with 10,000 mAh or 20,000 mAh external batteries, but when you take a look at this tiny 95 x 23 x 23mm (3.7 x 0.9 x 0.9in) size lipstick cylinder in a quality aluminum drop-tested shell with a weight of only 3oz � you will really appreciate size/capacity ratio. On top of that, it comes with Anker�s typical drawstring small storage pouch and a quality usb to micro usb cable. And since it�s available in a variety of colors, including some colorful pink and blue finishes, this battery can also be used as a �fashionable� accessory for the ladies.

The design itself is very minimalistic and elegant. I already mentioned about aluminum shell finish which feels very solid in your hand and gives you extra peace of mind if you accidentally drop it. The shell covers the entire cylinder in one solid piece, leaving only the top open where you have full size USB port to connect cable to your phone or tablet, micro USB port to charge this battery, and a small led/power button. To display the charging capacity, led has 3 colors to indicate: green 50%-100%, yellow 20%-50%, and red 5%-20%. It�s obviously not as accurate as Astro�s 10-led indicator with 10% increments, but considering this small footprint � it works fine. Plus keep in mind, most of the time you will probably get one or two full charges from this battery, so accuracy is not as important.

In terms of performance, Anker mentions it uses a premium Panasonic cell which is always a plus. The battery itself has a rather high efficiency of almost 92% (confirmed) which means you still get a solid 3,080 mAh of charging from this battery after internal 5V conversion through usb port. Most of the other lipstick batteries are typically in 80% efficiency range due to less efficient converters. The charging of the battery itself will not be lighting fast since input port is 5V at 1A, so expect a little over 3hrs of charging from empty. The ext charging port is only able to supply 1A of output power at 5V, though I actually confirmed it to provide 1.2A with my Note 4. It does offer PowerIQ intelligent charging current adjustment, but it doesn't matter since you are not going between 1A, 2A, or 2.4A charging speed. Most likely it will run around 1A-1.2A which is OK for emergency charging when you are on a go.

Overall, if you are looking for a super portable external battery for your phone or tablet, and need the smallest compact footprint to put it in your shirt pocket or a purse without adding too much weight, and still want to have enough capacity for emergency fast charging � this new Anker PowerCore+ Mini might be the one for you. 3,350 mAh is a pretty good capacity for on-the-go emergency charging, and if you factor in high efficiency, quality build with aluminum solid shell, included travel pouch and usb cable, and Anker�s 18-months warranty � this is one cool gadget to keep with you in a pocket for under $20.

Here are the pictures.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vectron For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vectron Ad-Free

8th December 2015, 10:57 PM |#2  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I have two of these, neither achieves anywhere near that efficiency with either Galaxy S4 or Note 5, with the cable provided, which the phone entirely turned off.
Both provide around 2300-2500mAh effectively, that is efficiency net of battery, powercircuit, cable and phone charging circuit losses, or around 70%.

Anker officially also confirms an efficiency of around 70% or, quote: "an almost one full charge to a Galaxy S6" (< 2550mAh), respectively.
So I am not just making this up. I tested this with an inline USB meter as well as with Battery Monitor Widget.
In their English that is almost one full charge for my Galaxy S4, or about 3/4 charge for my Note 5 (phones off while charging, duh!)

This is still a handy little thing to have, but Anker is very shy to openly say how efficient their devices are. All about that sale and Amazon tags after all.
9th December 2015, 02:08 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaefers

I have two of these, neither achieves anywhere near that efficiency with either Galaxy S4 or Note 5, with the cable provided, which the phone entirely turned off.
Both provide around 2300-2500mAh effectively, that is efficiency net of battery, powercircuit, cable and phone charging circuit losses, or around 70%.

Anker officially also confirms an efficiency of around 70% or, quote: "an almost one full charge to a Galaxy S6" (< 2550mAh), respectively.
So I am not just making this up. I tested this with an inline USB meter as well as with Battery Monitor Widget.
In their English that is almost one full charge for my Galaxy S4, or about 3/4 charge for my Note 5 (phones off while charging, duh!)

This is still a handy little thing to have, but Anker is very shy to openly say how efficient their devices are. All about that sale and Amazon tags after all.

Are you sure you are not talking about PowerCore Mini, rather than their latest PowerCore+ Mini? "+" is an updated version.
12th December 2015, 08:25 PM |#4  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Yes, Anker PowerCore+ mini 3350mAh. I got one for my Note 5 thinking should be a full charge, but wasn't the case.
After that, I went to the reviews on Amazon and also http://www.ianker.com/support/A1104041, they actually say it's 70-80%, mine was more around 70-75% with the Note 5 off while charging.
It's not Anker-specific though, Anker is doing relatively well, Aukey 5000mAh is only around 65%...
Also, either way, for 10 GBP it's really not bad. Just love how 90% of customers incl myself buy something without knowing better b/c it's all in the fineprint.
12th December 2015, 10:13 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
The quote from ianker website:

The efficiency of this powercore is around 70%-80%. The internal circuit board is 92% efficient, accounting for power lost through circuit heat and voltage conversion, which is up to 5% above the industry average. Energy is also lost within the charging cable and the device being charged (approximately 15-20%). Additionally, the efficiency can be affected by the cable length and the age of the device being charged.

Where the efficiency of conversion under ideal condition is over 90%. They trying to be conservative saying overall it could drop to 70%-80% depending on your phone model, internal battery age, and the most important - cables which can overheat (if they are cheap thin with loose connection). In one of my reviews testing battery charge monitor and different cables I demonstrated variation of different cables which could affect efficiency as well.

But anyway. This lipstick battery is for emergency boost (not a reliable full charge, but a boost to keep you afloat ) and doesn't even allow a fast charging. If you really need a backup, get a higher capacity more advanced battery from Anker with PowerIQ chip.
19th September 2016, 01:15 PM |#6  
Flag Zheleznodorozhny
Thanks Meter: 24

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectron

the most important - cables which can overheat (if they are cheap thin with loose connection)

And what about a cable supplied with this device?
20th September 2016, 01:34 PM |#7  
Flag Zheleznodorozhny

Donate to Me
More
Bought one yesterday, did 2 full charge-uncharge cycles:
1) Razr Maxx XT910 +35% (65->91%) and Nexus 9 +12% (27->40%)
2) Nexus 9 +33% (27->60%). Charging current was 1.25A.

A chinese device showed that Anker got about 3200ma*h from power supply. And it delivered about 2200 ma*h to Nexus 9, which really looks like 33% of its 6700mah battery.
21st September 2016, 09:43 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andray

A chinese device showed that Anker got about 3200ma*h from power supply. And it delivered about 2200 ma*h to Nexus 9, which really looks like 33% of its 6700mah battery.

I'm not sure what you got, but the review was for 3350 mAh lipstick battery from Anker, this model on Amazon. Not 6700mAh battery. Wonder if you got something fake?
22nd September 2016, 12:03 PM |#9  
Flag Zheleznodorozhny

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectron

I'm not sure what you got, but the review was for 3350 mAh lipstick battery from Anker, this model on Amazon. Not 6700mAh battery. Wonder if you got something fake?

no, no! I mean that powercore+ mini managed to give additional +33% to Nexus 9's 6700mah battery.
4th January 2017, 09:11 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andray

I have tested 3 of these.....
multiple charge/discharge cycles gave similar results....

My usb monitor shows. for full discharge (100-0)%....

Capacity: 1.657Ah ( @5v ) , 8.622Wh := 2.23Ah (@3.7v) ...or 2230mah
This is almost identical to what you got.

Charging(from usb power -->> anker mini ) : 15.858Wh = 3170mah .....from (0-100)%
also similar to what you got..... confirmation of your results ( and mine).

Yes, it's only useful as a partial boost......
(Note5 : 5% to 83% ... real world test)
......for todays high-end smartphones
The Following User Says Thank You to fixfox2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fixfox2 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)