FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Installing a tablet as a backup camera monitor in my car

30 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By SilenceFiction, Member on 18th January 2017, 07:36 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I've had this fantasy of installing a tablet in my car's dashboar to act as a car computer. That means I will be able to access my google music cloud, using it as a radio, navigation system, OBD scanner, etc... (I plan on getting a tablet with cellular connectivity).

But the thing that looks most complicated to me is to hook it up with a reverse backup camera and to make the camera feed pop up every time i put the car in reverse, and close when I put it out of the reverse gear.
Does anyone have an idea of how I could make this happen?
21st January 2017, 05:23 AM |#2  
onedementedsmurf's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
You'd have to, not only, find a way to interpret the reverse signaling via USB or through the OBDII connection, but also accept the video input from the backup cam. Considering most aftermarket backup cams use a standard RCA connection for video and reverse light for a trigger, I'd say you're better off either getting a headunit that supports a backup cam input or a rear view mirror with a ghost screen.
21st January 2017, 08:02 PM |#3  
SilenceFiction's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by onedementedsmurf

You'd have to, not only, find a way to interpret the reverse signaling via USB or through the OBDII connection, but also accept the video input from the backup cam. Considering most aftermarket backup cams use a standard RCA connection for video and reverse light for a trigger, I'd say you're better off either getting a headunit that supports a backup cam input or a rear view mirror with a ghost screen.

Yea I've seen some people on youtube managing with it. Some used RCA to USB OTG adapter.

Some examples:
This guy used this this which connects to the reverse lights' power.
This guy did it with a webcam so there would be no need of using RCA adapter. The only question is how do you make the video feed pop up automatically when going into reverse gear.
21st January 2017, 11:50 PM |#4  
onedementedsmurf's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
You'd have to find something that understood the reverse signaling or interface with the OBDII on the tablet, other than that I have no idea.
19th March 2017, 03:49 AM |#5  
Junior Member
Sterling, VA, USA
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Actually, if you just wired the camera to use the 12v+ from the reverse lights, then the camera would only be on when the car was in reverse. Then it's simply a matter of having the system display an image when one is being transmitted, and turn off the app when video transmission stops. Seems this would be much easier than trying to tap in to OBDII and look for an R signal.
19th March 2017, 12:16 PM |#6  
SilenceFiction's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickjames8

Actually, if you just wired the camera to use the 12v+ from the reverse lights, then the camera would only be on when the car was in reverse. Then it's simply a matter of having the system display an image when one is being transmitted, and turn off the app when video transmission stops. Seems this would be much easier than trying to tap in to OBDII and look for an R signal.

Yea I managed to get to that idea already. But, I will probably abandon this project since in my annoying, full of bureaucracy country it is illegal to mess with your car's electricity if you don't have an electornics engineering degree.
20th March 2017, 06:34 PM |#7  
Junior Member
Sterling, VA, USA
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Wow. That is crazy. I had no idea that vehicle laws in Israel were so strict. Would you be allowed to install the system if it all plugged in to the cig lighter? Therefore it could be seen as a complex accessory, rather than a modification? I'm just curious.
20th March 2017, 08:34 PM |#8  
SilenceFiction's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickjames8

Wow. That is crazy. I had no idea that vehicle laws in Israel were so strict. Would you be allowed to install the system if it all plugged in to the cig lighter? Therefore it could be seen as a complex accessory, rather than a modification? I'm just curious.

Uhm, could be I honestly have no idea
16th April 2017, 06:02 AM |#9  
RangerLT's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Wifi connected reverse cam
You should check out how Garmin codes for this scenario. The BC30 connects to the reverse 12V and only transmits when in reverse. They use a wifi receiver that is integrated into the power cord. There is a setting in the OS to either auto switch to camera or only switch when told to. They use 2.4GHz
16th April 2017, 09:16 AM |#10  
SilenceFiction's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerLT

You should check out how Garmin codes for this scenario. The BC30 connects to the reverse 12V and only transmits when in reverse. They use a wifi receiver that is integrated into the power cord. There is a setting in the OS to either auto switch to camera or only switch when told to. They use 2.4GHz

What do you mean I should check how they code? Will they provide me with a source code?
25th April 2017, 04:54 AM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I am also exploring this idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilenceFiction

What do you mean I should check how they code? Will they provide me with a source code?

I have sourced a wifi based reversing cam , but the problem is that when it transmits my samsung galaxy note drops its internet connection and therefore google maps etc. I am a newbie, so there might be a way to hold two connections open simultaneously? Any ideas?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
car, car accessories, car audio, navigation, tablet

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes