FORUMS

All in one Chinese car radio, How to change boot image?

30 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By gr8twhite, Member on 23rd April 2020, 10:19 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Last year, I purchased one of those "all in one" entertainment units.

This is the sellers auction page: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/272979971179?ul_noapp=true

It runs windows CE6.0. Here's some of it's info:

head unit info

I've been trying to figure out how to change the boot image. Making an image in the right colors, size and format is not a problem. But I cannot for the life of me find or figure out how to upload a boot logo/image to the unit or open an image from the firmware to know what format, size, color depth etc to make the new image in.

Right now, it has a "Chevy Bowtie" image but I would like a more Corvette specific one (it's in a 1988 Corvette). I can get into the factory settings to select from preloaded boot images, but there is no option to add a new boot image like you can with the wallpaper. I've contacted the seller and while they could give me the factory options codes, they knew of no way to upload a custom boot image.

I even have the original firmware from the seller, but it seems to be above my pay grade to figure out where the boot images are stored in the bin files.

Here's the firmware/files (it's only an image of the included files) I got from the seller:

I guess I'm just not programming savvy enough to figure it out. I can get around in an OS, but changes are something I'm very limited in knowledge about. I'm guessing i need to find a way to unpack the bin and then a way to edit it. I tried a couple things I found on the internet, but nothing seems to work to unpack the files to an interface I can use to change things. There's no way in heck I'm going to be able to edit hex, that's pretty much just all gibberish to me. I have edited in hex before, but I was following someone's directions who knew what they were doing.

Anyone venture a guess into how to find and change the boot image to a custom one?

To be clear: I can get into the factory menu options and change the boot image, I just can't upload a custom image to the radio. I can for wallpaper section, but not for boot image...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)