Peugeot 208 Full mirroring/Android Auto

Search This thread

blaz1ng

Jan 4, 2017
Evening all,

I recently acquired a 2016 Peugeot 208 - Much to my dismay however it only supports Apple Carplay and mirrorlink, which is not ideal for me as a Samsung S7 edge user with the advent of Android Auto as the very superior UX.
Whilst mirrorlink works for the odd app I find it all in all useless and so for now I just have my phone mounted below the head unit using the android auto UI on my phone.
Peugeot have iced the cake by telling me that they can't add Android Auto functionality to my head unit in February when they release the new 208s with it, which strikes me as ridiculous given it has a USB interface which means if it can run Apple Carplay it should be able to run Android Auto (if someone can confirm this for me just so I know I'm not being stupid that'd be great as I'm going to go and push them in the garage in February if I dont hear otherwise).

After quite some googling I have come across nothing: Does anyone have a way to completely mirror the screen of my android phone to the head unit of my car, or alternatively make it so Android Auto is miraculously supported by Mirrorlink? The wonders of rocksound appears to have been patched since it immediately recognises I'm trying to access my home screen and tells me it is not supported. For now I'm stuck either with my phone mounted or alternatively plugging an old iPhone in and tethering it, but that's not ideal given I want all my notifications etc, plus Android is just better anyway. I considered ripping out the entire head unit and putting an entire new one in but that's impractical and expensive.

If anyone has any input on this (or a link to something I've missed explaining how to fully mirror it) it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

blaz1ng

Jan 4, 2017

Thanks - that seems to partially work, however I am finding that whenever I interact with anything within for example android auto, or when I try to launch an app, the smeg says that the application is not supported and I have to reselect LG mirrordrive to keep going (the same happens when starting voice control since presumably the launching of the google now overlay that triggers it) - okay whilst Im sitting still but a touch impractical for when Im driving. It's certainly a decent workaround for now, however if there's something I can change that will make it either so it doesnt error with every app being opened or an alternative, that would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Reactions: shaggyxda

JoeyXD

Nov 11, 2010
Evening all,

I recently acquired a 2016 Peugeot 208 - Much to my dismay however it only supports Apple Carplay and mirrorlink, which is not ideal for me as a Samsung S7 edge user with the advent of Android Auto as the very superior UX.
Whilst mirrorlink works for the odd app I find it all in all useless and so for now I just have my phone mounted below the head unit using the android auto UI on my phone.
Peugeot have iced the cake by telling me that they can't add Android Auto functionality to my head unit in February when they release the new 208s with it, which strikes me as ridiculous given it has a USB interface which means if it can run Apple Carplay it should be able to run Android Auto (if someone can confirm this for me just so I know I'm not being stupid that'd be great as I'm going to go and push them in the garage in February if I dont hear otherwise).

After quite some googling I have come across nothing: Does anyone have a way to completely mirror the screen of my android phone to the head unit of my car, or alternatively make it so Android Auto is miraculously supported by Mirrorlink? The wonders of rocksound appears to have been patched since it immediately recognises I'm trying to access my home screen and tells me it is not supported. For now I'm stuck either with my phone mounted or alternatively plugging an old iPhone in and tethering it, but that's not ideal given I want all my notifications etc, plus Android is just better anyway. I considered ripping out the entire head unit and putting an entire new one in but that's impractical and expensive.

If anyone has any input on this (or a link to something I've missed explaining how to fully mirror it) it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I'm in a very similar (worse) situation as you are. I have a Nexus 6P, which doesn't even support MirrorLink... only Android Auto. And my 208 has CarPlay and MirrorLink, but no Android Auto :rolleyes:.

Is this true, that the new 2017 models have the Android Auto installed? We should see which SMEG unit and version 2017 models have installed... the 2016 model has a SMEG IV2 unit and software versions starting with 6.x.x.x (my current installed version is 6.1.D.R8).

I found a 6.3.C.R11 update on the internet, but i'm not sure if it includes the Android Auto.

F_Jones1993

Apr 17, 2017
I have a 2017 model and a htc one m8s. The idea behind android auto is fantastic - unfortunately, my phone keeps disconnecting and rendering the google maps redundant after 4 mins driving! I think this is probably my phone's fault, but I am interested to see that others are having trouble....

erSchistan

May 27, 2016
Works for me. With the right cable.

My reply comes a little late, but might help others coming here with the same problem...
I got my 2017 Peugot 208 yesterday and one of the first things, I tried, was connecting it to my phone(s). Although the manual only says, it supported Apple Carplay and Android Mirrorlink, I can confirm, that it also supports Android Auto. At first, it didn't work for me. I had to use 6 different USB cables, until I found one, it worked with.
With the first cable, it tried to connect, but before I even had a chance to press OK, the dialog disappeared. The phone showed a android auto communication error 16.
With the next four cables, nothing happend. Neither on the car display, nor on the phone. Manually opening the Android Auto app, didn't help either. It only showed it on the phone.
When I was already about to give up, I tried one last cable, that I brought to the car with me. It was a very short one (about 15 cm) from Aukey. With that cable, it worked like a charm. I could confirm the dialog on the car display and instantly saw Android Auto after that.

Later, I found this article: productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/android-auto/LV5HsOjkPyI/MlyOoBoPBAAJ. It seems to be a common problem and in that article, you can find a list of cables, that are supposed to work. One good idea seems to be to use the original usb cable, that came with your phone. I tried that today and it worked right away. It's a Samsung cable in my case (connected to a Galaxy S7 running SuperMan Mod). Here is a link to the cable together with a charger: amazon.de/Samsung-ETA-U90EWE-Ladeger%C3%A4t-Netzadapter-DatenKabel-Wei%C3%9F/dp/B01E9G4IHG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1514492334&sr=1-6&keywords=original+samsung+micro+usb+kabel&linkCode=ll1&tag=yammade-21&linkId=237d676f3199eb607c4e07f09e3fdafb" (Note: I linked to the one with the charger, because this one has good ratings. There are a lot of fake cables on amazon with poor ratings.)

I didn't have a lot of luck with cables from Aukey amazon.de/Ladekabel-Datenkabel-Samsung-Android-Smartphones-Wei%C3%9F/dp/B00TALGDMO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1514491813&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=aukey+usb+kabel+wei%C3%9F+5+st%C3%BCck&linkCode=ll1&tag=yammade-21&linkId=9101b8f12129b7290ece34d35a4f27db". But at least one in four worked, so in case you're desperate, you might give them a try...

Btw, Apple Carplay works too. I used a third party cable and it connected instantly without any problems.

PS: I'm not allowed to post real links, because I'm new in the forums.

Last edited:

ni4rkx

Oct 13, 2012
Hi everyone,
I'm on the same problem than you, I got a 2016 208 with SMEG+IV2 and sadly just like you, android auto is not supported.
Since i'm French I may have found more infos about why and how in French forums.

So basically since february 2017, 208, and most likely all the new Peugeot cars, have a different head unit NAC (Navigation Audio Connectée; Connected Audio Navigation). Which has a better touch screen quality, firmware, buttons and so on. There is no more useless mirrorlink but Android Auto just like Apple Car.
That was my bad when (2 months ago when I recieved my car) I found out that the car I bought was 6 months too old.
I tried to contact Peugeot's staff, they told me they had no idea about if we could replace the head unit to the newest (physically), but they will "keep an eye on the situation and come back to me" ... still no feedback, and even if it was possible, I think it would be hard to find a dealer that would know how to do it.

Anyway that's what I know. (Tried my best to explain).

Pangadaywalker

Nov 23, 2012
Curitiba
Hi,

I have the same situation and my local service doesn't know it either. Does anyone have any news?

Thanks.

In Brazil only Peugeot cars from 2017/2018 have this new Head Unit. I have a 2017/2017 and I can only work with Mirror Link which is fine at the moment. I can work with all apps I want, the only thing is the microphone. I can't seem to make it work on specific applications suck as the search for google maps, or the microphone on the Android Auto App from the phone.

Though if I make a phone call it will work just fine. Strangely enough.

Reactions: NeO_ReVoLuTiOn89

sv8iik

Jun 25, 2013
I have 208 2013mod and a oneplus 5t. can my smartphone mirror with my cars display? whick way can I do this? pleaee for your help

dnysss

Mar 26, 2019
In Brazil only Peugeot cars from 2017/2018 have this new Head Unit. I have a 2017/2017 and I can only work with Mirror Link which is fine at the moment. I can work with all apps I want, the only thing is the microphone. I can't seem to make it work on specific applications suck as the search for google maps, or the microphone on the Android Auto App from the phone.

Though if I make a phone call it will work just fine. Strangely enough.

Hey man, sou do brasil tbm, e tenho um 17/17 208 gt, como vc fez pra usar o mirrorlink? tenho um samsung A7 2017 mas não funcionou irmão, pode me dar uma dica? segue meu whats 47-988394884

bigtony51

Mar 3, 2023
I have a 2016 208 and I'm using a carlinkit 4 to get android auto before this my car wouldn't run android auto as far as I can tell it pushes it through the carplay software

ashwori

Jul 5, 2023
I have a 2016 208 and I'm using a carlinkit 4 to get android auto before this my car wouldn't run android auto as far as I can tell it pushes it through the carplay software
Hi, this might be the answer for me! I've just bought a 2008 (2016 plate) and it doesn't show Android Auto on the screen! I've been trying to find a way to connect my android phone to see maps etc on the car screen. Thanks for the help, I'm ordering one today!!

Top Liked Posts