Recommendations for an Android based Double Din head unit with navigation, backup cam

Search This thread

sattech200

Mar 17, 2014
S.W. Michigan
Hi everyone!

Wondering if anyone can point me to a decent/good no-name head unit? I have a Ford explorer with a double din opening. Looking for something on the cheaper side but don't mind paying extra at all if it's money well spent.

I work for USPS delivering mail so it would be REALLY NICE to if I could somehow load a route into navigation and have it run from the head unit instead of my phone. Have had problems finding something that works decent even on my phone but think I've found something that sort of works. I am a sub so I'll be learning and helping on many different routes over the next few years and this would be a tremnedious help untill I get the route memorized! Otherwise I wouldn't even worry if it was just one route.

Would also LOVE LOVE LOVE it if I could make the unit become a DVR for a dash cam. Support for multiple cameras would be a huge bonus. But I'm also thinking a dedicated backup camera with DVR support would probably work better...maybe!

Could careless about CD capability.

I've never played with one before to be honest but really hoping for one that can be rooted. I have pleanty of experience with phones and tablets. (I am on a grandfathered unlimited data plan so not worried about data.)

Would also like to consider name brand units if anyone knows which ones are Android based. Alpine is my favorite and don't care much for pioneer but will def consider it if it'll do what I need it to.

Thainglo

Apr 4, 2018
I just purchased yesterday a Pumpkin 8.0 direct from their website (autopumpkin.com). Sounds like we are looking for the same functions - navigation, cameras, etc. I am installing this into a 2008 Toyota Tundra, and found the need for a backup camera as soon as I bought it. You didn't define "cheap", This unit is $310 including shipping.

Another unit i considered is the xtron TE706PL. A little cheaper at $290 on Amazon. Both units are 4G ram and 32G rom. I went with the Pumpkin because I wanted the volume knob.

Best of luck in your hunt!

nja4k

Oct 22, 2012
Any update on what you choose and performance?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

May 6, 2017
I have owned an universal Dasaita HU and highly appreciated. I also recommended to my 10 friends to upgrade their entertainment system with Dasaita. They all really enjoyed.