FORUMS

Uconnect 8.4 ver 17.11.07 trying to "root"

15 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By itsJRod, Junior Member on 18th September 2018, 02:02 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I was posting some questions in the "Rooted Jeep Cherokee '14 Uconnect" thread but I've started this new thread for the 17.xx versions because the methods (if we are able to identify them) aren't the same as the 16.33.29 and earlier firmwares...

I am still trying to crack into that unit with the 17.11.07 software. I have a D-Link USB Ethernet but its a HW revision D and I believe I would need a B if we can get ethernet enabled at all.
Also, if we can get Ethernet enabled we will still need to get SSH password or key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devmihkel

For good or for bad NOT everything appears correct, except the running 17.x version... As of now neither the "commercial jailbreak" supports new versions (well yes they were using exactly the same file to start with Also 16.51.x or newer appears to be no go: uconnect-8-4-8-4an-update
EDIT: haven't got 17.09.07 to try, but on 17.11.07 manifest.lua has changed and the last block/ search keyword is "ota_update" instead. Otherwise all the same, image valid after the edit and script.sh gets fired - at least on 16.33.29 that is @HanJ67 Did you actually try to mount installer.iso after the edit and checked /etc/manifest.lua for the end result before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devmihkel

Yeah, 2nd attempt is much better as last lua block is correctly terminated and your script might actually run, but unfortunately no successful 17.x runs have been reported so far SWF scripts are not involved in update/jail-breaking run, these ones become relevant only once you are in (and need to enable some app or wifi or navi features etc). Afaik 17.x blocks ethernet dongle usage as well, but let's see if even the USB driver/link gets activated at all?

Do you have a 16.33.29 version I can try this on? I'm wondering if it will get me far enough to execute the "manifest.lua HD_Update" hack you and @HanJ67 were discussing.
I've used the 17.43.01, then finally found a 17.11.07 and had no luck there either.
In my latest attempts on the 17.11.07, I was able to hex edit the "ifs-cmc.bin" on the UPD and replaced the SSH-RSA key with my own. I think this bin will be flashed to the MMC during an update.
That SWDL.UPD got past the initial check and rebooted into update mode, but then it fails the second ISO check and loops. I had to use an unmodified image to finish the update and get back up and running.
I keep reading about making changes only after the 2048 Byte mark in the older versions with the "S" at 0x80. Is this still relevant
in later ISO/UPD images and to the second ISO check?
Right now, I'm looking to find a way to disable that check so that my modified .bin will be written to disk? I think this route would work to also modifying and getting WiFi enabled after a flash of the edited image.
If I had I 16.33.29 or similar older UPD version to attempt the HD_UPDATE hack in the Manifest.lua file I would give that a shot to be thorough.
19th November 2018, 10:25 PM |#2  

More
Do You have an idea how to connect by USB2LAN adapter to uConnect ?

Do You know if there is an UART pins on the mainboard ?
1st January 2019, 07:17 PM |#3  
Flag Ferrara
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsJRod

I was posting some questions in the "Rooted Jeep Cherokee '14 Uconnect" thread but I've started this new thread for the 17.xx versions because the methods (if we are able to identify them) aren't the same as the 16.33.29 and earlier firmwares...

I am still trying to crack into that unit with the 17.11.07 software. I have a D-Link USB Ethernet but its a HW revision D and I believe I would need a B if we can get ethernet enabled at all.
Also, if we can get Ethernet enabled we will still need to get SSH password or key.

Do you have a 16.33.29 version I can try this on? I'm wondering if it will get me far enough to execute the "manifest.lua HD_Update" hack you and @HanJ67 were discussing.
I've used the 17.43.01, then finally found a 17.11.07 and had no luck there either.
In my latest attempts on the 17.11.07, I was able to hex edit the "ifs-cmc.bin" on the UPD and replaced the SSH-RSA key with my own. I think this bin will be flashed to the MMC during an update.
That SWDL.UPD got past the initial check and rebooted into update mode, but then it fails the second ISO check and loops. I had to use an unmodified image to finish the update and get back up and running.
I keep reading about making changes only after the 2048 Byte mark in the older versions with the "S" at 0x80. Is this still relevant
Right now, I'm looking to find a way to disable that check so that my modified .bin will be written to disk? I think this route would work to also modifying and getting WiFi enabled after a flash of the edited image.
If I had I 16.33.29 or similar older UPD version to attempt the HD_UPDATE hack in the Manifest.lua file I would give that a shot to be thorough.

Hello, any news about it?
12th March 2019, 12:01 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
hi,
can you explain how to change SSH key in "ifs-cmc.bin" file?
thanks a lot

Quote:

12th March 2019, 05:36 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofro1988

Hello, any news about it?

I have not had had much time to work on this.
I actually had an idea last week that brought me back to this. I plan to use a custom flash drive to present an unmodified ISO for verification, then swap nand to an identical image that has been he's edited to enable usb Ethernet and add a custom key for ssh access.

I thought to stack a NAND on top of the original on a is flash drive, then breakout the Chip Enable pin to a switch. I've seen this done for with guys modifying game consoles to be able to run modified firmware.

Once the 2nd NAND is in place I will restore an image of the original nand containing the unmodified update, then hex edit the required portions to allow access after updating.

If this method works, I should be able to pass the verification with the original nand chip, then switch it (hopefully there's a big enough window to do this by hand) then present the modified nand before it begins the flash procedure.

Hopefully someone more intimately familiar with the update scripts can verify I'm not missing anything in the process
12th March 2019, 05:39 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajadela

hi,
can you explain how to change SSH key in "ifs-cmc.bin" file?
thanks a lot

I used a hex editor to find the Ssh RSA key and replace it. This passed the initial check to reboot into update mode, but wouldn't pass the full check in update mode. I'm hoping my attempt below will pass that check and still update with the modifications.
12th March 2019, 06:51 PM |#7  

More
Quote:

I used a hex editor to find the Ssh RSA key and replace it. This passed the initial check to reboot into update mode, but wouldn't pass the full check in update mode. I'm hoping my attempt below will pass that check and still update with the modifications.

thanks for answer.
I saw an ssh key with the hex editor, but I would like to see exactly what you have replaced.
if it's not too much trouble, it would be interesting to see with some screenshots the changes you've made.
So we could work on two fronts. The idea of the double nand is good, but not very simple to make ...
17th March 2019, 10:25 AM |#8  
Flag Bradford
Thanks Meter: 99

More
Just thinking out loud here, when you say it passes the initial check, does it then give you any confirmation of that or any message on the screen before rebooting to upgrade mode?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
4th April 2019, 02:42 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquithyX

Just thinking out loud here, when you say it passes the initial check, does it then give you any confirmation of that or any message on the screen before rebooting to upgrade mode?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I tried much the same thing -- the swdl.upd is another CDROM filesystem:

martinb$ file swdl.upd
swdl.upd: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data 'CDROM'

It contains three more .iso files : installer.iso, primary.iso, and secondary.iso

installer.iso is a CDROM image, but is not mountable on my linux system
primary.iso is a CDROM image, and has the usual /bin, /etc/, and /usr filesystem for an install
  • the /bin directory has one file - update_nand
  • the /etc directory has the usual mfgVersiontxt, nand_partion.txt, system_etfs_postinstall.txt, system_mmc_postinstall.txt and version.txt
  • the /usr/share directory is all the firmware for various components - EQ, HD_FIRMWARE, IFS, MMC_IFS_EXTENSION,OTA,SIERRA_WIRELESS,V850, and XM_FIRMWARE

What's interesting to me is that they did update the SIERRA_WIRELESS firmware -- and have done some housecleaning:
Code:
#---------------------------------
# sierra_wireless_disable_flowcontrol.file
# \d == 1 second delay

SAY " Send AT \n"
'' AT\r
OK \d
SAY "Disable flow control\n"
'' at+ifc=0,0\r 
OK \d
SAY "Send SMS command CNMI\n"
'' at+cnmi=2,1,0,1,0\r
OK \d
SAY "Clear emergency number list\n"
'' AT!NVENUM=0\r
OK \d
SAY "Set emergency number to 911\n"
'' AT!NVENUM=1,"911"\r
OK \d
SAY "Save Setting\n"
'' at&w\r
OK \d
Also in the IFS directory, when you hexedit the ifs-cmc.bin file it reveals another little treat... an SSH root public key ( not as nice as a private key, but hey )
(Sorry about the formatting, this is cut/paste right out of the hex editor)

Code:
ssh-rsa [email protected]
2E..IwU.Q....njle8r9nrJ7h8atg4WfqswU0C0Rk/Ezs/sQs5ZA6ES82MQONjHBd7mw
uo8h0xfj3KeeSHMXCEBpmU26guNE4EqfvdioLFCDUxtvMYswlUZjsvd/NYz9lnUZg2hy
pwzFQjXgSzmHVrHjkKKvq7Rak/85vGZrJKxlvHnowA8JIl1tVNVQjPMNgDDJabaETtfw
LL1KlvAzI81cKOG/3IRn9lU6qyYqyG+zYoza0nN\..7/AtxdL481k81Go5c3NQTnkl2U
68lbu8CpnwrYCU098owLmxdI4kF5UOL4R61ItJuwz30JSESgT..!8RDgM6XEiHUpK9yW
vvRg+vbGWT/oQn0GQ== [email protected]
in /usr/share/MMC_IFS_EXTENSION/bin/cisco.sh and dlink.sh there's another good hint - what adapter you need for USB ethernet

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Handle an Ethernet connection via the CISCO Linksys USB300M adapter
or
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Handle an Ethernet connection via the D-Link DUB-E100 adapter
The static IP it brings up if no DHCP is offered is : 192.168.6.1

There's tons more in there -- like the V850 chip has access to the Sierra Wireless CDMA modem, but can configure it for voice calls through the car speakers:

"AT!AVSETPROFILE=8,1,1,0,5" ( embedded in the cmcioc.bin update file )

secondary.iso is a CDROM image and only has /etc/ and /usr
  • the /etc/ directory has speech_mmc_preinstall.txt and xlets_mmc1_preinstall.txt
  • the /usr/ directory has /usr/share/speech and /usr/share/xlets ( tons of information about sensors in the car, etc in xlets )
4th April 2019, 01:08 PM |#10  
Flag Ferrara
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbogo1

I tried much the same thing -- the swdl.upd is another CDROM filesystem:

martinb$ file swdl.upd

swdl.upd: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data 'CDROM'

It contains three more .iso files : installer.iso, primary.iso, and secondary.iso

installer.iso is a CDROM image, but is not mountable on my linux system

primary.iso is a CDROM image, and has the usual /bin, /etc/, and /usr filesystem for an install

• the /bin directory has one file - update_nand
  • the /etc directory has the usual mfgVersiontxt, nand_partion.txt, system_etfs_postinstall.txt, system_mmc_postinstall.txt and version.txt
  • the /usr/share directory is all the firmware for various components - EQ, HD_FIRMWARE, IFS, MMC_IFS_EXTENSION,OTA,SIERRA_WIRELESS,V850, and XM_FIRMWARE

What's interesting to me is that they did update the SIERRA_WIRELESS firmware -- and have done some housecleaning:

Code:

# sierra_wireless_disable_flowcontrol.file

# \d == 1 second delay

SAY " Send AT \n"

'' AT\r

OK \d

SAY "Disable flow control\n"

'' at+ifc=0,0\r 

OK \d

SAY "Send SMS command CNMI\n"

'' at+cnmi=2,1,0,1,0\r

OK \d

SAY "Clear emergency number list\n"

'' AT!NVENUM=0\r

OK \d

SAY "Set emergency number to 911\n"

'' AT!NVENUM=1,"911"\r

OK \d

SAY "Save Setting\n"

'' at&w\r

OK \d

Also in the IFS directory, when you hexedit the ifs-cmc.bin file it reveals another little treat... an SSH root public key ( not as nice as a private key, but hey )

(Sorry about the formatting, this is cut/paste right out of the hex editor)

Code:
ssh-rsa [email protected]

2E..IwU.Q....njle8r9nrJ7h8atg4WfqswU0C0Rk/Ezs/sQs5ZA6ES82MQONjHBd7mw

uo8h0xfj3KeeSHMXCEBpmU26guNE4EqfvdioLFCDUxtvMYswlUZjsvd/NYz9lnUZg2hy

pwzFQjXgSzmHVrHjkKKvq7Rak/85vGZrJKxlvHnowA8JIl1tVNVQjPMNgDDJabaETtfw

LL1KlvAzI81cKOG/3IRn9lU6qyYqyG+zYoza0nN\..7/AtxdL481k81Go5c3NQTnkl2U

68lbu8CpnwrYCU098owLmxdI4kF5UOL4R61ItJuwz30JSESgT..!8RDgM6XEiHUpK9yW

vvRg+vbGWT/oQn0GQ== [email protected]

in /usr/share/MMC_IFS_EXTENSION/bin/cisco.sh and dlink.sh there's another good hint - what adapter you need for USB ethernet

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Handle an Ethernet connection via the CISCO Linksys USB300M adapter
or

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Handle an Ethernet connection via the D-Link DUB-E100 adapter

The static IP it brings up if no DHCP is offered is : 192.168.6.1

There's tons more in there -- like the V850 chip has access to the Sierra Wireless CDMA modem, but can configure it for voice calls through the car speakers:

"AT!AVSETPROFILE=8,1,1,0,5" ( embedded in the cmcioc.bin update file )

secondary.iso is a CDROM image and only has /etc/ and /usr
  • the /etc/ directory has speech_mmc_preinstall.txt and xlets_mmc1_preinstall.txt
  • the /usr/ directory has /usr/share/speech and /usr/share/xlets ( tons of information about sensors in the car, etc in xlets )

Have you tried connecting to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5th April 2019, 06:54 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofro1988

Have you tried connecting to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I managed to connect with the cisco adapter (usb / ethernet), but I don't know the root password. is the problem at the moment insurmountable ..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)