FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

CUBOT Magic - Information & Reviews - 5.0" HD | MT6737 | 3GB | 16GB | Full-Curved

8,291 posts
Thanks Meter: 17,422

Post Reply Email Thread
CUBOT Magic

Specs:

Quote:

Dimensions: 71 x 146 x 10.0 mm
Weight: 165g
Chassis: Plastic
SoC: MediaTek MT6737
CPU: ARM Cortex-A53, 4 x 1300 MHz, Cores: 4
GPU: ARM Mali-T720 MP2 520MHz, Cores: 2
Network: 4G Cat.4 (150MBps) with VoLTE Support
RAM: 3 GB
Storage: 16 GB
Memory cards: microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC
Display: 5.0 in, IPS, 720 x 1280 pixels, 24 bit
Protection:
Battery: 2600 mAh, Li-Polymer
Back Camera: 4160 x 3120 pixels (13MP), Samsung Sensor
Front Camera: 2560 x 1960 pixels (5MP) with Flashlight, OmniVision Sensor
SIM card: Dual-SIM, Dual-Standby
Wi-Fi: b, g, n 2.4GHz, single-band, Wi-Fi Hotspot
USB: 2.0, Micro-USB
Bluetooth: 4.0
Positioning: GPS, A-GPS
Other Features: Notification LED
Colors: Gold Black, Grey Black

Official Website:

http://www.cubot.net/smartphones/magic/

Development & Support:

Reviews:

Quote:

My own review: Post #2 & #3

31st July 2017, 11:07 AM |#2  
Review (part 1)
Introduction

This is the CUBOT Magic.

Hardware

Copying the name and design from the Honor Magic, this CUBOT Magic could be considered its cheap clone. Powered by a Mediatek MT6737 CPU with 3GB of RAM and 16GB of ROM, it is clear CUBOT only wanted to get the same design, and not the same performance.

Unboxing

Packaging is for the first time different than all previous CUBOT devices, and comes with some accessories: 1x Micro-USB Cable, 1x 5V/1A Charger, 1x Quick Start Guide, 1x TPU Cover (no more shock-proof unlike previous CUBOTs), and the Smartphone (of course). Somehow they are not including any screen protector in the box.

The chassis is amazing in my opinion, even though it isn't made of metal. They managed to make it as curved as a piece of soap, and i am not kidding. It literally slips if not used with the TPU cover. There is also something negative though, it is a fingerprint magnet. The oleophobic treatment is completely absent.

It is 14.64x7.09x1.00cm, pretty compact but a bit thick considering the battery size, and it weights 165g, i think it should have been slighly lighter for the same reason written before.

On the front side there is the super-curved screen (more than the usual 2.5D) and the upper front side of the device features a Front-Facing Camera supported by a Single-LED Flashlight, an Earpiece, and the Sensors hole that includes Light, Proximity and Gesture Sensors. A Notification LED is here, but it only supports one color: Blue.

Here you can see the Notification LED in action.

As regards the lower front side there is the soft-keys touch area with Recents, Home and Back keys.

On the back side there is removable back cover that hides the removable battery and all slots.

The upper rear side of the device features the Dual Camera Sensor supported by a Dual-LED - Single-Tone Flashlight, and the CUBOT logo slightly below.

On the lower rear side, excluding the usual certifications and model name, there isn't anything at all because the Speaker is positioned on the lower side of the device.

Device

Screen

Another really positive thing about this device is the screen. It is bright, super-sharp and with an excellent color accuracy with no banding, probably one of the best 5 inches screen i have ever found on a smartphone.

Its light sensor supports smooth light changes with a maximum brightness of ~500lux.

Viewing Angles are as good as you would expect from a good IPS screen, but the more-than-usual curved screen reduces slighly the viewing angles on the sides.

Camera

Of course not everything can be excellent on a device, and this is where it lacks some points. First of all, it is important to say that, even though this device has an MT6737 (not T), the Dual Camera implementation is REAL. The device handles two cameras properly, and both back cameras are recognized.

The software though is still the same as on all dual camera mediatek devices, with the only difference that if you cover one of the back camera sensors, it automatically switches camera between the left or the right one.

Photos look detailed and with some noise pretty noticeable, i would say average quality for the price target.

The Flashlight is powerful, synced with the shot, but as you can notice macros are insufficient.

Here you can see some shots taken using the Bokeh mode that SHOULD be using both cameras in the same time.

As regards Video Recording, with the quality set on "Fine", videos are recorded at 720p30 with a pretty stable frame-rate.

The front-facing camera is decent, usable for video-calls or such, just do not expect super-detailed photos even though there is a Flashlight supporting the shot.

Audio

Just like on most CUBOT devices, the speaker is sufficient, with the usual lack of low-frequencies and average volume. The earpiece though is a completely different story, it is just perfect, with no lack of frequencies at all and a pretty high volume.

As regards the Microphone, it works decently well in any case (in-call, VOIP, etc...), nothing to complain about.

GPS

GPS Quality is average, as good/bad as most MT6737 devices, it might be improved with future OTA updates.

Indoors on the left, outdoors on the right.

Telephony, Mobile Network & WiFi

Providing full european bands support (with 4G Band 20), the device was able to keep a stable connection to my 4G Network, but the speed, somehow, seems to be capped. This is something that should be improved with an OTA Update as soon as possible.

Thankfully the WiFi hardware is noticeably better, even though only 2.4GHz networks are supported, i was able to reach almost ~46Mbps, a pretty rare result for MTK hardware. Impressive.

Battery Life

Battery Capacity seems to be slightly higher than declared, common on CUBOT devices (i will never forget the CUBOT Dinosaur, check my review if you want to see something unbelieable). Declared 2600mAh vs Real ~2850mAh.

The PCMark Battery Test provided a barely sufficient result for a battery with this capacity, i guess this can be improved with future OTA updates. (Lowest brightness, WiFi on, Airplane Mode off, Sync on)

As regards battery charging times, due to limited 5V/1A charger, it isn't possible to charge the device completely in less than 2 hours and 45 minutes more or less. It is limited by software so do not expect faster charging times with a more powerful charger.

Software

Running on Android 7.0 Nougat with latest July 2017 security patches, and most important, with no bloatware preinstalled, the device runs with no issues at all, even though the CPU isn't that powerful. But...the secret was easy to find. In order to avoid the well-known MT6737 performance limitations, they choose to compile the OS with no 64-bit support, meaning that there is less load on the CPU and less RAM usage. The result is just perfect.

All Mediatek Features such as MiraVision, Gestures (somehow in Spanish O_o), and other features are present.

As expected, there is no Magnetometer/Compass and Gyroscope.

No malwares detected with Malware-Bytes Anti-Malware using latest definitions.

31st July 2017, 11:07 AM |#3  
Review (part 2)
Benchmarks

I have used 3DMark, AndroBench, Antutu Benchmark, Epic Citadel, GeekBench 4, GFXBench, PCMark (Work 2.0, Computer Vision, Storage & Work 1.0) and Vellamo to stress the device to the limit. I won’t test Games or Video Playback because there are already some related tests included in these Benchmark suites.

3DMark – Thanks to the 32-bit OS, GPU Performance is higher than some other MT6737 devices.

AndroBench – eMMC Performance is sufficient as regards the Write Speed, good as regards the Read Speed.

Antutu Benchmark – I won’t say a lot about this benchmark, this isn’t as reliable as others. I’m providing this just for benchmarks lovers.

Epic Citadel – Reaching almost 30fps, 3D performance is barely sufficient for smooth gaming.

GeekBench – 4x Cortex-A53 CPU Cores clocked at 1.25GHz, can't be any better.

CPU

Compute

GFXBench – The poor Mali-T720 GPU doesn't have any oxygen to run any of these tests decently.

PCMark – Just like what happened with my last review (MT6580 device), also on this one the Video Editing test fails so i guess there is something wrong with the latest PCMark version.

Work 2.0

Computer Vision

Storage

Work 1.0

Vellamo – This is where you can notice that you are dealing with a low-end SOC.

Conclusions

CUBOT Magic...even though i don't like to see any brand copying a device's design, i have to say that they managed to do a great job with this one. Its design together with the touch-and-feel (i hope this is the right way to say it), does not make it look like a cheap low-end MT6737 device.

Overall the device is good, with enough performance to handle most daily tasks, easy to carry thanks to the compact size and with an in-call quality rare to find on a chinese device. It isn't perfect though, just like all devices, since you have to forget about macro photos and high-speed 4G connection (hopefully fixable with an OTA update).

So, do i recommend it? Unless you can find something more appealing for the same price, yes.

Pros:

Mind-blowing touch-and-feel
Excellent in-call quality
Removable Battery
Plenty amount of RAM (3GB)
Great WiFi Performance

Cons:

Single-Color Notification LED
No Gyroscope & Magnetometer/Compass
Low 4G Connection Speed
Fingerprint Magnet (no oleophobic coating)
Out-of-focus Macro Photos (while using the Flashlight)

Rating: 8.3

Packaging and Accessories: 7.5
Design and Materials: 9
Performance and Heat Dissipation: 7.5
Screen: 9.5
Camera: 7.5
Sound: 8
Battery Life: 7
Software: 9.5
OEM Support: 9
Price: 8.5

You can find full-res images (I know, Quality isn't excellent) here: http://imgur.com/a/l9aYe

Official Website: http://www.cubot.net/smartphones/magic/

You can buy it on many online shops. Official, and authorized, Retailers are listed in the CUBOT website.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberto96 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th September 2017, 08:51 PM |#4  
Flag Switzerland
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Great review and device.

However, maybe I have overviewd, but is there an Fingerprint Sensor?
6th September 2017, 09:06 PM |#5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napfgeist

Great review and device.

However, maybe I have overviewd, but is there an Fingerprint Sensor?

Unfortunately no.
6th September 2017, 09:13 PM |#6  
Flag Switzerland
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto96

Unfortunately no.

Oh, thank you for the quick reply.
Thats a pitty, the specs and design looks really good.

Are there at least some smart gestures to start camera or to wake up the screen?
13th September 2017, 06:31 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Great review Alberto96, if you need help with dev, im happy to do what i can!
i just recieved my Cubot Magic, so far so good im just trying to find a way to root it..
@ Napfgeist, there are none in the settings that i can find however if we can root im sure we can figure something out..
12th October 2017, 03:53 PM |#8  
Flag Suceava
Thanks Meter: 194

Donate to Me
More
Any news on custom rom development?
12th October 2017, 06:16 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Hi, i bought this device 1 month ago and is going good, my question is: if I unlock bootloader and root this device will I lose Warranty?
15th October 2017, 12:20 PM |#11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidGamer02

Hi, i bought this device 1 month ago and is going good, my question is: if I unlock bootloader and root this device will I lose Warranty?

You don't need to unlock the bootloader, but you need TWRP in order to root it, something that isn't available yet.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cubot, cubot-magic, honor magic clone, magic, mt6737, soap

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)