Reviews:

Quote:

My own review: Post #2 & #3

25th September 2017, 09:31 PM |#2  
Review (part 1)
Introduction

This is the CUBOT X18.

Hardware

In the last few weeks many 18:9 devices started to appear, some of them copying the Galaxy S8 design, others just using a "taller than usual" screen in a pretty standard body. The CUBOT X18 covers the last case, with a 18:9 design but an already known design, similar to most CUBOTs. It runs on a Mediatek MT6737T with 3GB of RAM and 32GB of Storage, with a 1440x720 HD+ 5.7" screen with the aspect ratio i mentioned before.

Unboxing

Following previous CUBOTs, also this one comes with almost no accessories: 1x Micro-USB Cable, 1x 5V/1A USB Charger, 1x Quick Start Guide, 2x Certification Papers, 1x TPU Cover, and the Smartphone (of course). A screen protector is already applied.

Keeping the good and old removable back cover, most of the times, forces the company to use a plastic body instead of metal, and with the last few models from CUBOT this is something always present. Even though there is no metal for the body, the device feels solid, build quality is OK (the back cover should be more polished) and there is no flex at all.

It is 16.00x7.39x0.92cm, tall and narrow as you would expect from this type of screen, but due to the generous bezels, it is even taller than usual, with a weight of 175g.

On the front side there is the nowadays standard 2.5D Curved Display and the upper front side of the device features a Front-Facing Camera supported by a small Flashlight, an Earpiece, and the Sensors hole that includes Light, Proximity and Gesture Sensors. A Notification LED is here, but it only supports one color: blue.

On the lower front side there isn't anything at all because on-screen software keys are used instead, even though there is so much wasted space here...

On the back side there is the removable back cover, the most glossy plastic cover i have ever seen.

The upper rear side of the device features the camera sensor (pretty similar to a Galaxy S1) supported by Single-LED (no Dual-Tone) Flashlight.

On the lower rear side there are just some Certification Logos with the CUBOT brand because the Speaker is placed near the Micro-USB port.

Device

Screen

Compared to another device i reviewed with a similar screen, the one used by CUBOT on this device is great, with excellent color reproduction, decent white balance and no visible gap between the screen and the glass. Definitely an high-quality one.

Light Sensor supports smooth light changes, this is its maximum brightness. Sufficient for outdoor usage.

Viewing Angles are as good as you would expect from an IPS screen.

Camera

First of all, it is important to report that on CUBOT's website it is reported a Samsung sensor for the front camera but, as you will notice, i am not able to confirm that.

This is where it is easily noticeable that we are dealing with a cost-friendly device. Even though the back camera sensor is a decent Sony IMX135, photos quality isn't great. Sometimes there is lots of noise while shooting photos outdoors. Let's say an usable camera for some random shots, not a camera phone.

Some photos look over-exposed even with HDR, while photos indoors look almost impressive, especially macros.

The little single-LED flashlight is just enough to help the sensor in low-light conditions, i would have preferred something more powerful.

As regards Video Recording, the camera is able to record 1080p Videos at ~25FPS, and the quality is decent.

With an OmniVision 8MP camera sensor for the front, i would have expected some great photos, but, again, the noise level is high. Hopefully a software update will reduce it. The front-facing flashlight is working fine, nothing to complain about. Also, as you can notice, it seems to be a wide-angle variant.

Audio

Speaker's quality is average, with the usual lack of low-frequencies and a medium volume. The same can't be said for the Earpiere though, that is just perfect, one of the best i have ever tested.

As regards the Microphone, it seems to be a bit "quiet", but it is perfectly usable. It may get better with an OTA update.

GPS

GPS Quality is pretty good, with GLONASS support and high accuracy even indoors.

Indoors on the left, outdoors on the right.

Telephony, Mobile Network & WiFi

Testing all smartphones in the same position, i am able to get a precise measurement of the signal level thus the maximum speed reached in 4G. Its signal reception is average, not the best neither the worst.

4G Network Speed is decent, i might have expected an higher result but it isn't that bad.

This device doesn't support WiFi Dual Band (5GHz). Connected to my 2.4GHz network, it manages to obtain a pretty standard result, almost the maximum possible on this network.

Battery Life

Battery Capacity matches the declared value (measured 3295mAh, declared 3200mAh), with a little extra juice i find on almost all CUBOT devices. Always appreciated.

Considering the battery capacity and the screen size, this PCMark Battery Test result is as good as i would have expected, getting just a bit higher than 9 hours.

With a small 5V/1A charger it is impossible to expect any type of fast charging, neither it is possible to improve the situation by using a more powerful charger since it is limited via software. Expect more than 3 hours to charge the device completely.

Software

Something i always appreciate about CUBOT is the lack of software customization in all devices they release, and this one is no exception. Running on Android 7.0 Nougat with no bloatware pre-installed, there are no lags noticeable at all, buttery-smooth everywhere.

MiraVision is here, but other Mediatek's features such as double tap-to-wake or gestures are missing.

Unfortunately there is no Compass/Magnetometer and Gyroscope here.

No malwares detected using Malware-Bytes Anti-Malware app.

The fingerprint scanner is accurate but not super-fast to unlock the device, as you can notice. It can be configured as easily as on all modern Android devices.

25th September 2017, 09:33 PM |#3  
Benchmarks

I have used 3DMark, AndroBench, Antutu Benchmark, Epic Citadel, GeekBench 4, GFXBench, PCMark (Work 2.0, Computer Vision, Storage & Work 1.0) and Vellamo to stress the device to the limit. I won’t test Games or Video Playback because there are already some related tests included in these Benchmark suites.

3DMark – Decent 3D Performance considering the low-end GPU.

AndroBench – eMMC Performance is slighly unbalanced, with good read speed and a bit too low write speed.

Antutu Benchmark – I won’t say anything about this benchmark, this isn’t as reliable as others. I’m providing this just for benchmarks lovers.

Epic Citadel – Unexpectedly with the HD+ resolution this GPU seem to handle the benchmark pretty well.

GeekBench – It isn't possible to expect something better from this CPU (4x Cortex-A53), average score.

CPU

Compute

GFXBench – Just like what happened with Epic Citadel, also this one provides some unexpected high results.

PCMark – A bit low storage score, but everything else is just fine.

Work 2.0

Computer Vision

Storage

Work 1.0

Vellamo – For some unknown reasons, the device is recognized as an "iRulu" (what?) X18, even though this should be GMS certified thus properly recognized. Weird.

Conclusions

Being the second device i review with this type of screen, i can already say that its implementation might result a bit confusing if you consider the original Galaxy S8 target: providing a larger screen in a smaller body. This time, with the CUBOT X18, the smaller body isn't here unfortunately since bezels have been kept and not even limited.

Anyway, the device itself is actually pretty good, one of the few available with a removable battery and decent performance. I hope CUBOT improves the camera department because it CAN work better.

So, do I recommend it? If you are looking for a pretty cheap device with a sort of "Infinity Display", yes.

Pros:

Excellent Screen Quality
Removable Battery
Solid Performance
Notification LED

Cons:

No Magnetometer and/or Gyroscope
Disappointing Camera Quality (both)
Bezels are still here

Rating: 8.2

Packaging and Accessories: 8
Design and Materials: 8
Performance and Heat Dissipation: 8
Screen: 9
Camera: 6
Sound: 8
Battery Life: 7.5
Software: 9
OEM Support: 9
Price: 9

You can find full-res images (I know, Quality isn't excellent) here: https://imgur.com/a/RvYmP

Official Website: https://www.cubot.net/smartphones/x18/

You can buy it on many online shops. Official, and authorized, Retailers are listed in the CUBOT website.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alberto96 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th December 2017, 05:21 PM |#4  
Flag Strasbourg
Thanks Meter: 1

More
How to root this X18 ?
Hello, and thanks for the review !

I bought a X18 for 70 $ at Cybermonday, and it's a very good phone in its class, espacially for this price.

Just for the fun (and to be able to install adaway) I would like to root it but didn't find a way to do it.
I managed to unlock the bootloader and to create a boot.img, but when I try to patch the boot.img with magisk (latest version 14.0) Magisk crashes and force close each time (found no solution for this in the magisk threads)
As far as I saw there is no TWRP recovery for this model, and I don't feel comfortable enough to port an existing TWRP.

So, with the (little) knowledge I have I'm stuck.

If somebody has a clue ??

Roland
The Following User Says Thank You to Rollmops67 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Rollmops67 Ad-Free
22nd January 2018, 01:08 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmops67

Hello, and thanks for the review !

I bought a X18 for 70 $ at Cybermonday, and it's a very good phone in its class, espacially for this price.

Just for the fun (and to be able to install adaway) I would like to root it but didn't find a way to do it.
I managed to unlock the bootloader and to create a boot.img, but when I try to patch the boot.img with magisk (latest version 14.0) Magisk crashes and force close each time (found no solution for this in the magisk threads)
As far as I saw there is no TWRP recovery for this model, and I don't feel comfortable enough to port an existing TWRP.

So, with the (little) knowledge I have I'm stuck.

If somebody has a clue ??

Roland

Same could someone pls help ?

22nd January 2018, 01:14 PM |#6  
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudwp

Same could someone pls help ?

Oops i am really sorry guys, i forgot to update the thread. Please wait

EDIT: Here it is, dev. & support thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...pport-t3738890
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberto96 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
18:9, cubot, infinity display, mt6737t, x18

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)