[Review] FNF Ifive Mini 4s tablet

Search This thread

bkores

Aug 12, 2016
Staten Island, NY
Hi,

Did you tried to disable the "force 2d hardware acceleration" from the "developers options" ? (to get to developer options you have to tap 7-8 times on the "Build number" from the "Settings>About" )

Regards

I can confirm this works. I disabled this the very first time I turned on the tablet and I have not had a single SOD occurrence.

Last edited:

roblade

Aug 26, 2017
my tablet is still happening SoD! Now i'm with 1.0.8W

There are very few SOD but sometimes it's stuck. I'm going to try with the stock ROM 1.1.1C...

my tablet is still happening SoD! Now i'm with 1.0.8W

There are very few SOD but sometimes it's stuck. I'm going to try with the stock ROM 1.1.1C...
Even with 2D option disabled?

---------
I'm experiencing a different issue anyway.. When I reboot the tablet I have to remove and insert again my SD (Kingston 32GB - Manufacturer Phison - so as long as I know it's a legit one).
Weird.. I used a Samsung 16GB and didn't notice this before.. I should make some test with it again..
Once inserted after booting the device no problem whatsoever with the SD..

roblade

Aug 26, 2017
Even with 2D option disabled?

---------
I'm experiencing a different issue anyway.. When I reboot the tablet I have to remove and insert again my SD (Kingston 32GB - Manufacturer Phison - so as long as I know it's a legit one).
Weird.. I used a Samsung 16GB and didn't notice this before.. I should make some test with it again..
Once inserted after booting the device no problem whatsoever with the SD..

Yes, with 2D off. I have very few SoD now (before 2D was every time tablet came idle) but i'm still one trouble.

--

I'm not using SD card, sorry :(

Reactions: brainvision

foxyone0809

Oct 4, 2015
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
Honor 8
What a big surprise! Battery capacity is 6700mah instead of 4800 mah. => +39% battery life.
No bug with last firmware. Perfect tablet, better than the description.

And only 10 days delivery from HK-2 warehouse to France in colissimo shipping without taxes.

Attachments

• Screenshot1.jpg
    Screenshot1.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 309
  • Screenshot2.jpg
    Screenshot2.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 306

emaen

Oct 7, 2010
Hi all :) !!

foxyone0809 said :
What a big surprise! Battery capacity is 6700mah instead of 4800 mah. => +39% battery life.

With this new battery, How many time can you use your tablet (idle and in normal use) before recharge it ?
Does it change anything ?

Its short lifetime, as everyone seemed to said it, has always prevented me to buy it until now :( ...

Is there any changes, now ?

Last edited:

lelecureuil

May 24, 2016
No bug with last firmware. Perfect tablet, better than the description.

And only 10 days delivery from HK-2 warehouse to France in colissimo shipping without taxes.

is the buzzing noise over audio jack problem still present on the latest revision?

foxyone0809

Oct 4, 2015
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
Honor 8
Hi all :) !!

With this new battery, How many time can you use your tablet (idle and in normal use) before recharge it ?
Does it change anything ?

Its short lifetime, as everyone seemed to said it, has always prevented me to buy it until now :( ...

Is there any changes, now ?

In sleep mode with all the background apps, 20 days.
Before installing all these app, only lost 4% per 24hours.
In play mode I think at least 4hours with medium light and wifi. But I'm not sure, it is a present for my daughter's Christmas. Only use a few hours to install apps and movies

Last edited:

cochon99

Oct 5, 2007
The sound with audio jack is perfect !

I can confirm this too. Knowing there was a problem and listening for it hard, I can't detect any sound issues with a Nov. 2017 vintage tablet.

Battery life is much like earlier reviews but perfectly usable for a few hours eyeball time. Camera is still shockingly bad, but the screen is the jewel in the crown for this price point.

emaen

Oct 7, 2010
@ foxyone0809 and cochon99 : thank you for your replies !
I want to use it like a photo album (pictures stored in NAS).
Its screen (and price) seems perfect for this goal... and now battery life, too ;) !

Thank you for all.

ipknightly

Nov 13, 2015
What I don't get about the design (same for ipad mini):
So you have the larger bottom/top bezels for gripping the device while gaming in landscape mode. But...
This 4:3 ratio is supposed to be great for reading/browsing but you've got no side grip in portrait mode because of the thin bezels. So you've got to wrap you hand around the entire device. Fine for short periods but unless you've got Chuck Berry hands, it's not comfortable for long.
Also, when you buy a tablet, it would naturally be the go-to device for occasional nav. Scrap these worthless cameras once and for all and put in gps, that would be a smarter design imo.

Sina.Alhazen

Jan 7, 2018
Some people in this thread mentioned that 2D hardware acceleration is forced, instead of the system deciding what should be accelerated.

Remember that the "force" options are used by developers to test their apps. However, leaving them enabled outside the development process... well this only calls for trouble.
I guess someone from FNF must have forgotten to disable it before releasing the ROM (software).

Direct consequences are battery drain and unexpected application behavior, as some were not build for hardware acceleration.

So, hopefully you won't have any issues with your tablet from now on. I might buy one as well.

I still have the same issue after disabling 2D hardware acceleration, can you help me?
I'm still using sod killer now

mikasand

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks for the review!
A few quick questions!

Are you still happy with this tablet after your review?
About the memory (2GB+32GB) are these memories handled as a "unified storage" (single storage) meaning you can install all apps on the whole memory area and not only on the 2GB RAM ?
I know my older chinese tablets did not have unified storage, resulting I only have possibility to install Apps in the tiny 1 or 2 GB RAM.
Regards, Mikael

Thanks for the review!
A few quick questions!

Are you still happy with this tablet after your review?
About the memory (2GB+32GB) are these memories handled as a "unified storage" (single storage) meaning you can install all apps on the whole memory area and not only on the 2GB RAM ?
I know my older chinese tablets did not have unified storage, resulting I only have possibility to install Apps in the tiny 1 or 2 GB RAM.
Regards, Mikael
What? There's no device that will install apps or program into RAM (that is per definition a non written memory)

Inviato dal mio A0001 utilizzando Tapatalk

lukas12p

Nov 25, 2006
Hi
I have just received the "new" version of tablet w S/N CCM10... and latest firmware 1.11.
Battery is still the same 4800 mAh, I have measured it while charging (5->100% = 4700 mAh), so AIDA is reporting wrong capacity (6700).
Second proof is that, if You go to Android battery settings it will show that miscellaneous is using a lot of battery and this is the difference between battery capacity reported by Android (6700) and system measured used capacity.

Reactions: lelecureuil

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have now had my FNF Ifive Mini 4s, that i ordered from China, since March 7th (Shipping took only 14 days) so i think it is time for a review :)

tmN9EzG.jpg

qIHy3xT.jpg

Key features
    • Android 6.0
    • 7.85" 2048*1536 display
    • RK3288 Quad Core CPU at 1.8Ghz
    • Mail-T764 GPU
    • 2 GB DDR3 RAM
    • 32 GB Internal storage
    • 4800mAh Li-Po battery
    • SD-Card slot
    • 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4Ghz+5Ghz WIFI
    • Bluetooth 4.0

Disadvantages
    • Batterylife is only around 2 hours of screen on time with maximum brightness.
    • Bottom speakers instead of front-facing.

Design and build quality
    I really like the bezels on this device. They are nice and small on the sides and a little bigger on the top and bottom. This makes using the tablet for media consumption really comfortable, since there is just enough space for your thumbs on each side of the tablet when it is tilted to the side.

W97XBnI.jpg

The front of the tablet is all glass. The frame is made of metal and the back has glass in the top and bottom and plastic inbetween. This combined makes an overall sturdy tablet. The tablet has no flex at all when trying to bend it or press down on different spots, so this makes me confident it wont break on normal use.
    The buttons are much better than on other tablets at this price point. They dont wobble too much and I am confident they wont fall out or get stuck. The MicroSD-slot works nicely and so does the 3.5mm headphone jack.
    The dimentions are 230 x 169 x 7 mm.
    E6cGAya.png

Display and screen
    The display on this tablet was what made me buy it in the first place. A 2048*1536 display on a 150 USD tablet seemed crazy, so i bought it to see for myself. The display is truly great and very enjoyable to look at, even for long periods of time. In the time I have had it, I have seen severeal movies on it and even read an e-book. Since the screen is 7.85" it has a pixel density of 326.11 PPI :D

Android 6.0.1
    The tablet comes with stock Android 6.0.1. It comes with no bloatware at all which I appreciate alot and it is updated regularly. In the time I have had it, I have gotten 3 updates, which fixed the small amounts of problems it had when I first recieved it. The ROM runs smoothly with no stutters at all thanks to the RK3288 CPU and Mail-T764 GPU.

Camera
    The camera is not that good, only 8MP in the rear and 2MP in thefront. I can not really see a use for a camera in a tablet anyway, since I think it is too big for that, so this does not matter to me.

Benchmarks
    Antutu
    Eam8N0G.png

Basemark OS II
    MszE8TK.png

Battery Life
    When the brightness is set to max and the tablet is used normally I get around 2 hours of screen on time. When the screen is set to the minimum brightness I get around 5-6 hours of screen on time. The battery life is okay, but I think they should have made the device a little thicker and added a little more battery. With my use I have to charge it either every night or every other night.

Conclusion
    I think the FNF Ifive Mini 4s definently is worth its price. It is a great tablet for watching movies and Youtube videos, browsing the internet and playing games (but dont expect a high framerate on titles like Grand Theft Auto). I would definently recommend buying this tablet. It is simply an amazing tablet concidering its price of only approximately 150 USD.

I rate it 8.5 out of 10

If you appreciated my review feel free to press the "Thanks" button ;)

EDIT: I just updated to 1.0.8-W, which should work on all devices, new as old, and this seems to boost perfomance nicely. To update, use this tutorial, but use this tool and img instead of the ones mentioned inside the tutorial :) Thanks to RVA84 for letting me know this in the comments.
    Thanks for the review. Shame it has such poor battery life, but a battery pack should make that not so much of a problem. What is battery life like when it is sitting idle?

For you and anyone else complaining about the poor battery life/battery drain:

1. First - The battery is 6700mAh and not 4800mAh as declared everywhere on web so that's should be enough for everyday usage (currently I got 4-5 SOT for web browsing and lite gaming)
    2. Upgrade to the latest firmware version 1.06.
    3. After upgrade wipe the system cache.
    4. Disable ''Keep Wi-Fi during sleep''.

5. Turn on Android's developer mode and disable animations:

-Go to Settings > About, then tap on Build number several times to enable Android developer mode
    -Go to Settings > Developer options, and scroll down to Window animation scale, Transition animation scale, and Animator duration scale.
    -Tap on each of the animation options and turn them off.

6. For more speed, install a lightweight launcher (for this tablet I prefer Nova Launcher)

Hope this helps.
    Great! Feel free to share with us if you make improvements.:)
    I have a tablet with the SN CM10BFCxxxxx, can indicate which the latest firmware for it?