FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

UMI IRON, 5.5" IPS Full HD, MTK6753, 3GB RAM, Sony IMX214, Android 5.1, Eyeprint ID

1,364 posts
Thanks Meter: 974

By s7yler, Senior Member on 5th June 2015, 11:30 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
FULL IN-DEPTH REVIEW
FULL UNBOXING & HANDS ON
TEARDOWN & BEND TEST
TURN THE ON SCREEN BUTTONS TO HARDWARE BUTTONS
----------------------

UMI IRON, new leaked pictures of the upcoming new model from UMI. In my opinion it looks very stylish and cool. I really like the design, what do you think?

The specs known so far is, 5.5" FHD 1920x1080 LTPS screen, Front LED, Sony IMX214 sensor, Rear camera with 13MP and Front camera with 8MP. Android 5.1, Mediatek Octa Core chipset and 3GB RAM. The body should be of metal and about 7.9mm thin. Inside we also find a 3000mAh battery.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to s7yler For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift s7yler Ad-Free

6th June 2015, 09:03 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogoo

More information can be learned from http://proandroidnews.com/624/

Thanks Drogoo

UMI are soon going to release their next model, the UMI Iron.
According to the leaked picture it has an alloy unibody and Dual LED on the back.

There are unfortunately still not many infos or specifications out yet of this device, but it should soon come.
Hopefully it will get a larger and better battery

UPDATE more info leaked:
UMI IRON, Octa-core MT6795 with 2K display?? Last friday UMI leaked a new phone called IRON.
From the photo we can see that the device appears to be a unibody alloy phone, with dual LED flash.
Again UMI facebook just post a picture showing Android 5.1, Octa-core. And it show half spec of CPU MT67???
Rumor said it might be the MT6795 that could support 2K video display!
If it could be released in time this could be the first MT6795 phone by far!

- 5.5 Inch Screen, 2K???
- MT6795 Octa Core???
- 3GB RAM + 16GB ROM
- 13 MP Rearcamera + 5 MP Frontcamera
- Android 5.1 OS
- Network: Supports 2G & 3G & 4G LTE Network

Here the leaked picture:

17th June 2015, 08:43 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
From yesterdays leak on UMI facebook tells us that the IRON has built-in 25MW directpath from Texas Instrument, in order to have the best headphone Hi-Fi audio.

Feature of the 25MW directpath

- Great noise cancelation, Omnibearing noise suppression (including active click and pop/ system noise pickup between audio source and the headphone amplifier/ ground lop noise/ power supply noise)
- Prevent Acoustic Shock
- SAVE! Short-Circuit and Thermal-Overload Protection
- Excellent Low Frequency Fidelity

So the sound quality should be extraordinary and super with headphones.

On the UMI Facebook they also leaked a picture https://www.facebook.com/umicommunit...7080594791653/
showing some specs about the camera.

Front camera is on 8mp with LED flash light. So selfies should be really good, also in the dark.
The rear camera is a 13mp Sony IMX214 camera, so this should also be very nice.

More over it should come with Android 5.1, a Mediatek octacore chipset and 3GB RAM. The body should be of metal and about 7.9mm thin.

Update:
Finally we know for sure that UMI IRON is a 5.5 inch smartphone using LTPS display which provides faster speed, higher resolution and brighter light on the screen compared with other regular LCD display.

28th June 2015, 03:16 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
The UMI IRON release date is now 10 July....
29th June 2015, 10:01 AM |#5  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 94

More
I have purchased UMI IRON from http://www.pompmall.com/umi-iron.html , now, i want root this phone, How can we root this device?
1st July 2015, 06:10 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 642

More
What I don't get is the screen. How exactly does a FHD LTPS screen compare to Gorilla Glass in terms of durability? Will a tempered glass protector hinder this type of panel in any way? Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way. It does look nice tho.

Also how does one contact Umi? I can't seem to find an email address for sales/marketing/customer service anywhere.
1st July 2015, 08:14 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondohow

What I don't get is the screen. How exactly does a FHD LTPS screen compare to Gorilla Glass in terms of durability? Will a tempered glass protector hinder this type of panel in any way? Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way. It does look nice tho.

Also how does one contact Umi? I can't seem to find an email address for sales/marketing/customer service anywhere.

You should not compare these 2 things like that.
FHD LTPS is just that it is Full HD resolution with Low-temperature polycrystalline silicon - that has nothing to do with the glass on top.

Gorilla Glass is just the glass on top, that has nothing to do with if the screen is HD or FHD.

But I can say that the screen is VERY sharp, good colors and very bright. The glass on top, I am unsure of what type it is. Could be normal glass, but with the Magic Glass (tempered glass protection) on top your very well protected, and if you drop the phone nothing should happen to the screen. You can try to contact UMI on their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/umicommunity
The Following User Says Thank You to s7yler For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift s7yler Ad-Free
1st July 2015, 08:29 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
I have opened up the back to confirm the battery on 3000mAh
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s7yler For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift s7yler Ad-Free
2nd July 2015, 05:44 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 642

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7yler

You should not compare these 2 things like that.
FHD LTPS is just that it is Full HD resolution with Low-temperature polycrystalline silicon - that has nothing to do with the glass on top.

Gorilla Glass is just the glass on top, that has nothing to do with if the screen is HD or FHD.

But I can say that the screen is VERY sharp, good colors and very bright. The glass on top, I am unsure of what type it is. Could be normal glass, but with the Magic Glass (tempered glass protection) on top your very well protected, and if you drop the phone nothing should happen to the screen. You can try to contact UMI on their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/umicommunity

Thanks for the clarification. Everything I read online made me second guess myself. I would definitely like to give one a try.

Any plans on doing a follow up video after using this for a day or two?
2nd July 2015, 10:50 AM |#10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Maine
Thanks Meter: 12,370

Donate to Me
More
How about LTE specs? What USA bands are supported?
3rd July 2015, 05:07 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94

How about LTE specs? What USA bands are supported?

In USA you use a lot of different bands, the carriers are not using the same ones for LTE. So I can't really answer you on that. You need to check on http://willmyphonework.net and then the phone.

The UMI IRON supports - Band: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz, WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100MHz, FDD-LTE B1/B3/B7/B8 (1800/2100/2600)

But it looks like that most US carriers (if not all) are using other LTE bands, so LTE will generally not work in the US for this phone. Only 3G it seems.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
dual led, umi iron, unibody alloy

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)