FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

What are your thoughts on the upcoming Red Hydrogen One?

137 posts
Thanks Meter: 39

By Eclipse457, Senior Member on 15th September 2017, 12:18 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
What are your thoughts on the upcoming Red Hydrogen One? It's specs and software?
Also, do you think the display will be "holographic" as they claim it to be, or just another gimmick?

Drop your thought below. Try not to post links, though you are free to attach pictures.
Eclipse
The Following User Says Thank You to Eclipse457 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Eclipse457 Ad-Free

11th January 2018, 12:17 PM |#2  
Flag Mayberry
Thanks Meter: 942

More
The Red Hydrogen intrigues me for several reasons.
First, and foremost, Jim Jannard. Many here may not know why that name is important, but Jim founded Oakley and innovated in an industry that was lacking; completely changing the industry irrevocably. Jim redefined the science and design of eyewear forever as Oakley X Metal was the culmination of impeccable design and perfected materials. Something about my X Metal XX makes me want to see the Titanium version of the Hydrogen One. Jim is a perfectionist and devoted 1000% to what he does. I expect this to be the same.
I expect the approach I've seen in Oakley to continue with RED, and so far, based on everything I have read and seen, the science, technology, and innovation the man is known for is evident in RED devices' design language. Check out Marquee Brownlee's video of the prototype on Youtube. You can see the same principals applied
Another reason I am excited is Holographic display. This will be an industry game-changer. So far, we haven't had a look at it, but soon (i infer from the proto video) we will.
Modular accessories are another aspect that pique my interest. I can say i dislike moto mods due to the bulk it adds to a device, but the implementation on the RED device appears to be similar. (pins, magnets). Soon we will see how much better (or possibly worse) this implementation is.
In an age where the average flagship is already close to $1000, it honestly makes sense for a perfectionist like Jim to enter the scene with the drive, vision, and knowledge to innovate and improve an industry that has had shortcomings prevalent for years. (death of project ara, loss of headphone jacks, puny batteries (looking at you, Moto Z anything), and sub-par quality parts on premium flagship devices. May RED change the landscape of Android forever.

EDIT: well, nope. not happening. Hydrogen One is pointless. Would have been okay a year ago. Releasing what it is, despite whatever future plans is for modules, etc, is still an exercise in futility. What was the vision here? well, aside from riding the coat tails of the RED name while having nothing RED about it. Clearly, I am generally a JJ fan, but not in this instance. i am embarrassed for hyping this for even a millisecond. If you want to make phones, hire someone that knows something about the enthusiast market, bc we drive the whole industry. just ask One Plus. They figured that out 5 years ago. Always ask the users what they require. the 4 view feature is cool, but ultimately limited and novel at best. the modular system, done right (like Google and Motorola failed to do decently) would be amazing. i even had an ad imagined....[Kid rides his bike to the mail box. gets small box with component board (brain module) goes home and slaps it in his RED phone which reboots into a new OS, graphics, etc.]
That phone should be made of titanium bc while it may not last a lifetime, it will outlast a typical glass or aluminum body. that is the leap Jannard should have had his team taking with 2+ years of R+D and his background and knowledge of titanium. the forever phone. instead of a giant hunk of poop like the hydrogen one is.
11th January 2018, 02:02 PM |#3  
Flag Mayberry
Thanks Meter: 942

More
Sorry for the DP, but i downloaded the spec sheet (for now). It doesnt say much aside from giving some pricing and materials and a screen size. Useful information to an extent, but again, it really doesn't delve into SOC, RAM, Battery.

edit: Battery: Huge.
Ram: Mediocre at best
SOC: total insult to anyone paying more than $500 for a phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180111-085625.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	4386166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180111-085642.jpg
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	4386167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180111-085652.jpg
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	4386168  
5th October 2018, 03:13 PM |#4  
Flag Brooklyn
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Does this have wireless charging?
12th October 2018, 07:10 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCell

Does this have wireless charging?

Although I cant say for sure, since the phone isnt out yet, it seems like it wont due to the lack of a glass or ceramic back. Also the back of the phone seems to be a terrible surface to wireless charge on from a design perspective. It could get a module addon though so fingers crossed.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)