AOSP Don't seem so open anymore..

Search This thread

oneprimedroid

Sep 13, 2019
Galveston
I just got a pixel 3a xl a few weeks ago, my first android device since the donut/gingerbread days. I was looking forward to doing some mods and builds.
After doing some building and looking thru code ,it seems that Android is not so much OS anymore...
I get that security is a factor with the new code, but after trying and building (hit/miss) mostly miss. It seems to be more hacking than modding. If that makes sense..
Anyway just my thoughts about my experience.
Thanks to all developers here we are able to make our devices our own even if big brother don't want us to...

PixelPro

Sep 25, 2019
I just got a pixel 3a xl a few weeks ago, my first android device since the donut/gingerbread days. I was looking forward to doing some mods and builds.
After doing some building and looking thru code ,it seems that Android is not so much OS anymore...
I get that security is a factor with the new code, but after trying and building (hit/miss) mostly miss. It seems to be more hacking than modding. If that makes sense..
Anyway just my thoughts about my experience.
Thanks to all developers here we are able to make our devices our own even if big brother don't want us to...

Hi. I just want to understand what you're saying. What about Android or AOSP doesn't seem open to you? Were you able to successfully unlock your bootloader and try a few builds and stuff? What were you unable to do that you wanted to do?

chompie1337

Oct 2, 2019
what specifically were you looking for? there are parts that are closed source yeah. mostly the vendor specific hardware drivers. have you tried looking on http://androidxref.com/ for what you need? you can xref the kernel there too.