FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Chuwi Hi10 Air Linux Installation Guide

3,180 posts
Thanks Meter: 8,984
 
Post Reply Email Thread
6th May 2019, 10:14 PM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Hi everybody
Did kernel 5.1 resolve any problem. I use mint 19 but it seems that nothing happened
 
 
7th May 2019, 09:02 AM |#12  
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikmag

Hi everybody
Did kernel 5.1 resolve any problem. I use mint 19 but it seems that nothing happened

5.1 includes the touchscreen fix on it's own so you don't need to use the kernel I provided anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to Myself5 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th May 2019, 07:59 PM |#13  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Thanks for your reply. I had 5.09 and I installed 5.1 but no touchscreen activation. I had to return to 5.09. Any update for Bluetooth drivers? I installed them manual, it seems to be active but cannot see any Bluetooth device . Also the problem with the bios or boot screen is always in vertical position and not touchscreen or other way to select OS. I use windows 10 and Mint 19.1 Thanks again.
8th May 2019, 01:47 AM |#14  
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikmag

Thanks for your reply. I had 5.09 and I installed 5.1 but no touchscreen activation. I had to return to 5.09. Any update for Bluetooth drivers? I installed them manual, it seems to be active but cannot see any Bluetooth device . Also the problem with the bios or boot screen is always in vertical position and not touchscreen or other way to select OS. I use windows 10 and Mint 19.1 Thanks again.

So it does work with my 5.09 kernel though, right? Otherwise you'd have forgotten to install the touch drivers (see the OP on how to do that).

Bluetooth works flawless for me on Arch. Maybe Mint has some other packages that don't fully work with the chip yet?

As for Grub: there's nothing we can do about that. As it currently stands grub has no support for touchscreens or screen rotation. You could try different UEFIs (rEFInd comes to mind here) but other than that it's not possible. I thought about possibly mapping the volume buttons to up/down for selection, but that would still leave us without an enter key.

Although, now that I think about it again: it might be possible to register the windows touchkey as "enter". I guess I'll take a look into that
12th May 2019, 11:13 PM |#15  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Actually I did not use your 5.09 kernel. I had already done a successful procedure with different kernels before reading your post. Yes probably is Mint issue. I need to find some time to install Arch. If you manage to do something with buttons it will be wonderful. I boot to Mint and then with a command a switch to win10. Are you pleased with the active pen? I really thank you for your support. I would also like to help if I can.
13th May 2019, 04:13 PM |#16  
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikmag

Actually I did not use your 5.09 kernel. I had already done a successful procedure with different kernels before reading your post. Yes probably is Mint issue. I need to find some time to install Arch. If you manage to do something with buttons it will be wonderful. I boot to Mint and then with a command a switch to win10. Are you pleased with the active pen? I really thank you for your support. I would also like to help if I can.

According to a quick Google search custom keymapping for grub seems to be harder than expected. rEFInd seems to have touch support for some tablets though. I might look into that instead.

The "active Pen" on Windows is useless because it's not "active". It does get prefered over your hand, but the Hi10 Air doesn't have proper pen support. So the 256 pressure level touchpen they sell you is effectively as good as your finger. There is no pressure sensitivity support. On Linux this get's even worse because the pen is apparently using a different kind of calibration, so if you use it it's horribly offset. I was looking to use it for Notes during lectures, which is impossible to do. Even on Windows it's just not working. I've been in contact with my contact at Chuwi (who also sent me the device) and he just kept on talking around the topic. He never officially claimed the Pen would be supported but also never denied it. All he did was keep on sending me different touch drivers to "make the pen work" (although the definition of the term "work" can mean everything here).

TL;DR: Not pleased AT ALL.

P.S: I just updated the OP. the 5.1 kernel is released and works flawless on my Hi10 Air.
16th May 2019, 12:59 PM |#17  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Hey everyone.
Can't make touchscreen work even on 5.1.2
see some screenshots:
https://imgur.com/598zrHM
kernel version:
https://imgur.com/qGtHJoc
16th May 2019, 02:10 PM |#18  
Quote:
Originally Posted by heenry20

Hey everyone.
Can't make touchscreen work even on 5.1.2
see some screenshots:
https://imgur.com/598zrHM
kernel version:
https://imgur.com/qGtHJoc

So which tablet do you have? A normal Hi10 Air?
16th May 2019, 02:20 PM |#19  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself5

So which tablet do you have? A normal Hi10 Air?

Yes, running kde neon.
18th May 2019, 01:51 PM |#20  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
M5 you are right, the finger is much better than 'active' pen! I bought also nebo app for recognition but the pen is totally invisible. Probably you checked drivers from you know https://forum.chuwi.com/thread-6861-1-1.html. It will be a big help if you manage to do something with rEFInd . Thanks
19th May 2019, 05:26 PM |#21  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Another issue is that the screen in bios and Lightdm (login screen) is always in vertical position. I use keyboard and it is not so easy during booting. Automatic rotation works in Mint 19.1 xfce after login. What I do is to login automatically with no password. Then from Mint I can switch to Windows.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chuwi hi10 air, linux support

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes