Post Reply Email Thread
28th June 2019, 08:59 PM |#31  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 9,060

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveemashfaq

Hi guys. I am waiting for my chuwi hi10 air to arrive and stumbled upon this thread.

I have some experience with linux on i tel atom tablets as my previous tab was acer switch.

Regarding pen being out of calibration, you need to run
to see what devices are recognized as pointer. Then we can use xinput calibrator package to calibrate all the individual devices. My previous device acer switch had the same silead touchscreen and using evdev driver instead of libinput helped me a lot.

Regarding linux with good touchscreen support, gnome is miles ahead of the competition. I haven't tested fedora or arch but ubuntu was snappy enough to be used as daily driver. It also has support for screen rotation natively. And your login screen will also inherit the same orientation as your desktop.

If you want to implement screen autorotation in other DEs, you need to install iio-sensor-proxy package and then get a script.

You will truly be astounded by using gnome/ubuntu on tablet as far as usability is concerned. Its miles ahead of even windows 10. Glad to help out if any help needed.

Thats not going to work. The device is not separating between Finger and Touchpen input. It doesn't have any special digitizer for this.

TL;DR: Calibrate it for Pen -> Finger will be offset
Calibrate it for Finger -> Pen will be offset

Also with the HiPen 2 (Chuwis recommended Pen) you wont have any Pressure sensitivity or Palm rejection, simply because the panel doesn't support it.

28th June 2019, 09:29 PM |#32  
Flag warangal
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself5

Thats not going to work. The device is not separating between Finger and Touchpen input. It doesn't have any special digitizer for this.

TL;DR: Calibrate it for Pen -> Finger will be offset
Calibrate it for Finger -> Pen will be offset

Also with the HiPen 2 (Chuwis recommended Pen) you wont have any Pressure sensitivity or Palm rejection, simply because the panel doesn't support it.

Hmm. Interesting. I am having a tough time believing this because pen uses a different technology from touchscreen. Do you mind sharing the output of xinput --list

And how is the calibration of touchscreen on wayland and what drivers are you using? For me, the touch was not calibrating in libinput driver in xorg. I had to use evdev. BTW, I used the script to extract windows driver and convert it into .fw file. Maybe that was why I had conflict with drivers.

And please try gnome and share results. I think you will find gnome to be awesome with touchscreen. Not sure about if you will face problems with wayland though because ubuntu uses xorg
29th June 2019, 12:35 AM |#33  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Hmm. Interesting. I am having a tough time believing this because pen uses a different technology from touchscreen. Do you mind sharing the output of xinput --list

And how is the calibration of touchscreen on wayland and what drivers are you using? For me, the touch was not calibrating in libinput driver in xorg. I had to use evdev. BTW, I used the script to extract windows driver and convert it into .fw file. Maybe that was why I had conflict with drivers.

And please try gnome and share results. I think you will find gnome to be awesome with touchscreen. Not sure about if you will face problems with wayland though because ubuntu uses xorg

Would gladly share the xinput output if my tablet didnt decide to kill grub after running out of battery lately. This thing just keeps on giving. Iirc xinput would only report silead_ts though (well and mouse and keyboard and that stuff). I'm using the latest windows drivers converted (the ones linked in OP). Thats the only available driver anyways. I hate gnome as well as Ubuntu with a passion so thats not going to happen. #ArchMasterrace. I experimented with a few DEs in the initial days though. Unity was somewhat fine, Deepin was the best in terms of DPI and rotation friendlyness. HOWEVER: both were TERRIBLE in terms of performance. Couldn't do a single thing without huge lags.

P.S: The touchscreen doesn't have a digitizer. There is no different input technology. Whereas it SOMEHOW detects the Pen which is provable because it prefers the pen input over your finger input and because the evdev border on the pen are offset from the finger (max is 1930 vs 1980) the Pen input is not labeled as such inside the OS on both, Linux and Windows. There is no seperate input device for the Pen listed and Windows does not detect the tablet as "compatible with Pen input".

I spent a lot of time trying to figure exactly this out, so I am 99% sure I am right on this. If there is anything I possibly missed or if you have any other ideas though, please don't hesitate to hit me up because I would love to get this working too.
29th June 2019, 05:51 AM |#34  
Flag warangal

More
Quote:

Would gladly share the xinput output if my tablet didnt decide to kill grub after running out of battery lately. This thing just keeps on giving. Iirc xinput would only report silead_ts though (well and mouse and keyboard and that stuff). I'm using the latest windows drivers converted (the ones linked in OP). Thats the only available driver anyways. I hate gnome as well as Ubuntu with a passion so thats not going to happen. #ArchMasterrace. I experimented with a few DEs in the initial days though. Unity was somewhat fine, Deepin was the best in terms of DPI and rotation friendlyness. HOWEVER: both were TERRIBLE in terms of performance. Couldn't do a single thing without huge lags.

P.S: The touchscreen doesn't have a digitizer. There is no different input technology. Whereas it SOMEHOW detects the Pen which is provable because it prefers the pen input over your finger input and because the evdev border on the pen are offset from the finger (max is 1930 vs 1980) the Pen input is not labeled as such inside the OS on both, Linux and Windows. There is no seperate input device for the Pen listed and Windows does not detect the tablet as "compatible with Pen input".

I spent a lot of time trying to figure exactly this out, so I am 99% sure I am right on this. If there is anything I possibly missed or if you have any other ideas though, please don't hesitate to hit me up because I would love to get this working too.

Today's laptops are making do without in-built battery (CR2032) for maintaining time and keeping BIOS settings alive. This means that whenever your battery falls to zero, the BIOS settings will reset to default and time and date will also vanish. I guess that is the reason grub is not working. The whole setup is present there but boot order is reset and hence you are booting into Windows (maybe)

Unity and Deepin are really very heavy weight so using it is out of contention. I am on the same boat as you and hated gnome a lot. Infact, I use XFCE as my daily driver because for how much screen real estate gnome eats up and the non-conventional layout. But trust me, I have used my tablet with cinnamon, kde, xfce, lxqt and gnome for more than 2 months and once you are on a touchscreen, gnome is a revelation.

And I remember reading somewhere that ubuntu 19.04 has performance optimizations to speed up responsiveness. I did not try fedora or arch to validate this but gnome in ubuntu 19.04 feels very snappy with minimal lags. The only time you are reminded that you are using a low power PC is the app load times. Rest, I dare say it is as good as XFCE in performance.

The finger input is 1930x1080 to accommodate for the touch windows key whereas the pen only reads 1920x1080. This proves that there is a separate technology powering the pen which is different from touch screen. You just have to calibrate individual devices separately in the config files (the 10-evdev.conf file) and it would work.

Can you please post the output of lshw and xinput --list when you manage to get your linux going again. And trust me, try live booting ubuntu 19.04. You are in for a surprise.
29th June 2019, 12:25 PM |#35  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Today's laptops are making do without in-built battery (CR2032) for maintaining time and keeping BIOS settings alive. This means that whenever your battery falls to zero, the BIOS settings will reset to default and time and date will also vanish. I guess that is the reason grub is not working. The whole setup is present there but boot order is reset and hence you are booting into Windows (maybe)

Unity and Deepin are really very heavy weight so using it is out of contention. I am on the same boat as you and hated gnome a lot. Infact, I use XFCE as my daily driver because for how much screen real estate gnome eats up and the non-conventional layout. But trust me, I have used my tablet with cinnamon, kde, xfce, lxqt and gnome for more than 2 months and once you are on a touchscreen, gnome is a revelation.

And I remember reading somewhere that ubuntu 19.04 has performance optimizations to speed up responsiveness. I did not try fedora or arch to validate this but gnome in ubuntu 19.04 feels very snappy with minimal lags. The only time you are reminded that you are using a low power PC is the app load times. Rest, I dare say it is as good as XFCE in performance.

The finger input is 1930x1080 to accommodate for the touch windows key whereas the pen only reads 1920x1080. This proves that there is a separate technology powering the pen which is different from touch screen. You just have to calibrate individual devices separately in the config files (the 10-evdev.conf file) and it would work.

Can you please post the output of lshw and xinput --list when you manage to get your linux going again. And trust me, try live booting ubuntu 19.04. You are in for a surprise.

[email protected] ~ $ sudo lshw | haste
https://paste.myself5.de/fVFR3nffEx
[email protected] ~ $ sudo xinput --list | haste
https://paste.myself5.de/r66vVHi3oj
1st July 2019, 01:17 AM |#36  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

Thanks to @StarClosures testing I was able to figure out that there are multiple variants of the Hi10 Air and that some of them are not detected by the Kernel due to different namings in the DMI configs.

Based on information I had for my device and from StarClosure I built a new version with different detection. To everyone having issues please try to install the build from here:
[...]

@Myself5 Thank you for how-to and all your contribution. Your guide assured me that I can have linux on Hi10 Air and was main reason I bought the tablet. It arrived to me a few days ago and then I started linux installation which mostly went quite smooth. I had only the same problem as StarClosure but with you custom linux kernel, touchscreen is working

Unfortunately I can't get working automatic rotation When I run 2in1screen, I get:
Code:
ls: cannot access '/sys/bus/iio/devices/iio:device*/in_accel*': No such file or directory
Unable to find any accelerometer.
I checked dmesg and found:
Code:
bmc150_accel_i2c i2c-BOSC0200:00: Invalid chip 3
which, as I suppose, is the root cause. Here is my dmidecode:
Code:
 hastebin.com/ififexogaq
I would really appreciate any help. I tried to figure out what's wrong but no success.
2nd July 2019, 05:31 PM |#37  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookanio

@Myself5 Thank you for how-to and all your contribution. Your guide assured me that I can have linux on Hi10 Air and was main reason I bought the tablet. It arrived to me a few days ago and then I started linux installation which mostly went quite smooth. I had only the same problem as StarClosure but with you custom linux kernel, touchscreen is working

Unfortunately I can't get working automatic rotation When I run 2in1screen, I get:

I checked dmesg and found:

which, as I suppose, is the root cause. Here is my dmidecode:

I would really appreciate any help. I tried to figure out what's wrong but no success.

Can you also get an
Code:
sudo lshw
? I've seen zhis issue before on another users device but his eMMC suddently died so we could look into it any further.

From the looks of it, it appears that you have a different rotation sensor than I do.
2nd July 2019, 08:34 PM |#38  

More
Quote:

Can you also get an

Code:
sudo lshw
? [...]

Yes, sure, here is my lshw:
Code:
https://pastebin.com/vi84zNga
8th July 2019, 05:47 PM |#39  
Flag warangal

More
Hi guys. Just got my Chuwi delivered today. I have installed Ubuntu in dual boot mode but I cannot make boot default to Ubuntu. I can manually go to UEFI and select boot to Ubuntu manually but if I change the boot order, it resets everytime and boots to Windows.

Any ideas, guys?
8th July 2019, 11:20 PM |#40  

More
Quote:

Hi guys. Just got my Chuwi delivered today. I have installed Ubuntu in dual boot mode but I cannot make boot default to Ubuntu. I can manually go to UEFI and select boot to Ubuntu manually but if I change the boot order, it resets everytime and boots to Windows.

Any ideas, guys?

I had the same issue after installation. I solved it with combination of efibootmgr and AFAIR (but not sure) disabling in BIOS (Advanced -> Trusted Computing): Platform Hierarchy, Storage Hierarchy.
13th July 2019, 11:39 AM |#41  
Flag warangal

More
Finally, I backed up the existing file system and Windows and did a deep dive into Linux. I have some strange observations to report. When I installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, sound didn't work because of kernel 4.12. Next stop was Fedora. I clean formatted and installed Fedora and ran into strange issues. For some reason, the BIOS assumes that it has Android installed and puts that as boot priority 1 and then comes Fedora. So everytime, boot failed. I had to select at every boot that I want to boot into Fedora. Everything worked fine except for touchscreen. Libinput is a mess. No matter what I do, it would not accept touchscreen calibration. Tried and gave up because even if I could figure it out somehow, I would still have issues with boot failing everytime.

I came to Ubuntu 19.04 and everything works except for wifi. For some reason, wifi decided to not work at all. It has the firmware binary files, I also tried replacing the firmware files with the ones from Fedora but wifi is not working for some reason no matter what I try. Currently frustrated due to lack of wifi. Any solutions, guys?

It seems that Chuwi actually planned to make an Ubuntu version of their device because Boot priority hard coded in BIOS is Windows > Ubuntu > Android. Any other OS is detected as last. @Myself5, does arch boot directly or did you have to do anything to make it higher up in the boot order
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chuwi hi10 air, linux support

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)