FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax - The Legal Battle (Portal thread comments)

19,556 posts
Thanks Meter: 11,776

By pulser_g2, Developer Admin / Senior Recognized Developer on 18th December 2014, 02:10 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This thread is available for comments on the featured portal article.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to pulser_g2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

18th December 2014, 02:33 PM |#2  
Flag Utrecht
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Thanks for the extensive read! Too bad that a community project like CyanogenMod will be harmed through the company that controls it.. I am waiting for a move from OnePlus, they should be able to build a good case.
18th December 2014, 02:40 PM |#3  
Flag void (0)
Thanks Meter: 2,958

Donate to Me
More
it's a clear case of back biting by Cyanogen Inc. They have done this to a lot of developers when Cyanogen Inc was formed, and now they do this do their partner.

The emails sent by Kirt clearly show they were aware of what the agreement was, and that they had already decided to end the relationship with OnePlus. Those emails are rude as hell and I guess Kirt needs a rap for that.

Micromax is nothing but an Indian company who has put a brand name on Chinese phones. Yeps Chinese phones were very popular in India and with Android all they needed was to put a name on phones. Yes, they do sell like hot cakes because of the pricing but yes they are no-where close in terms of quality to HTC or Sony.

All in all, a bad move by Cyanogen and it's not the first time. Yes, they may be pioneers in the Android custom rom world but right now it's the success getting to them and they are going to fall hard.

What can I do about it, well ever since the incident with xplodwild I have stopped using CyanogenMod or any roms based of it. Yes, I want the latest Android version running on my device but not from someone who cheats and stabs people behind the back.

It's time for PA, Omni, Slimkat and others to rise to the occasion. Yes, building a rom as popular as CM will take time but patience is the key.

Over and Out.

Edit
One thing I forgot to mention, I am from India and trust me I would never buy a MicroMax device even if it's running CM. I wanted to buy a OnePlus One but after all the lies they had in the basket I had to pass. Yes, I want the latest hardware at the cheapest price but not from peeps who lie.

PS:- This is my personal opinion

Peace.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to munchy_cool For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift munchy_cool Ad-Free
18th December 2014, 02:46 PM |#4  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 154

More
Sign
Looking forward to California Case. Anyways, XDA has many AOSP roms other than CM running good on OPO. Any device that gets love of people/dev stays alive.

Looks little dangerous for startup hardware partners.
The Following User Says Thank You to emanoj.i9103 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift emanoj.i9103 Ad-Free
18th December 2014, 02:49 PM |#5  
Flag Madrid
Thanks Meter: 38

More
I'm an OnePlus and CM customer (not only a user, I've paid for their products) and I'm worried. I though OPO was going to be CM flagship and they were going to make an effort to show they can produce and deliver good software, I'm afraid I can't confirm that.
Of course Micromax is a more lucrative project but they have customers.
I chose OPO because of the hardware and because of CM, I've been using CM for years. I didn't chose this phone for the money, I could have paid $600 for another phone, I just didn't like any other phone, I trust Nexus line mostly because of the software but I don't like Nexus 6 so CM software was a nice solution at the time.
So my next phone won't come with CM since I can't trust this company anymore. For me the most important point to choose a phone is software support and CM is no different than Samsung or LG updating their products.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guille26 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guille26 Ad-Free
18th December 2014, 02:55 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 331

More
Service Thats Ridiculously Buggy
I don't understand how childish The cyanogen team's action to send an email and just cut off a tie with legally well documented contract with oneplus.by the way,its us...the users will suffer the most.Maybe oneplus will move on with the launch of their own ROM for their devices but I doubt cyanogenmod's future and reputation in the Dev forums...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrNinjaa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DrNinjaa Ad-Free
18th December 2014, 03:00 PM |#7  
Flag Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 186

More
Kirt deserved my piss.

They (Cyanogen Inc) have dropped the development dreams since back then when Cyanogen Inc was up and running. And since then too so many good dev's noticed it and left Cyanogen Inc to start a better one like Omni's/PA's.

It is sad to see a super-great phone development, aimed for the enthusiasts, went this way. Cyanogen = Bad for business. They were like stupid cartels in Mexico downtown. Their rom is not that excellent anyway, i am more interested on AOSP-based team nowadays.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wajahebat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wajahebat Ad-Free
18th December 2014, 03:10 PM |#8  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,476

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guille26

I'm an OnePlus and CM customer (not only a user, I've paid for their products) and I'm worried. I though OPO was going to be CM flagship and they were going to make an effort to show they can produce and deliver good software, I'm afraid I can't confirm that.
Of course Micromax is a more lucrative project but they have customers.
I chose OPO because of the hardware and because of CM, I've been using CM for years. I didn't chose this phone for the money, I could have paid $600 for another phone, I just didn't like any other phone, I trust Nexus line mostly because of the software but I don't like Nexus 6 so CM software was a nice solution at the time.
So my next phone won't come with CM since I can't trust this company anymore. For me the most important point to choose a phone is software support and CM is no different than Samsung or LG updating their products.

One thing I have to say is - I've spoken to one member of OnePlus' new internal software team. If the rest of the team as as competent as he is (as in: I know his work and he's smart), they'll do well.

You make a good point - Cyngn is doing a lot of things that people used to go to CyanogenMod to get away from. What is interesting is that OEMs are also noticing this market trend, which is why you're seeing Motorola put forth minimal skinning (a massive difference from the disaster that was Blur), and Sony's skins are fairly light and minimal. (In my opinion, they are done with enough care that they're almost always a positive improvement. Sony devices are the only ones where I've frequently found no desire to unlock the bootloader to flash something else or even to root. My Xperia Z3 is STILL, after more than a month, bone-stock. I'll eventually work on Omni for it, but right now... It's nice and solid as it is, it would be hard to improve upon that.)

Similarly, OnePlus' new team are intelligent enough to realize that just by doing a base Qualcomm CAF bringup with a few minor tweaks, you can actually do far better than the OEMs that go overboard with ricing.

As to Kirt - of interest is his past work. He was the founder of Boost Mobile.

Also of interest is that Cyngn has signed a pretty juicy exclusivity deal with an OEM that is universally hated in those areas where Cyanogen has brand recognition.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th December 2014, 03:21 PM |#9  
Flag void (0)
Thanks Meter: 2,958

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

Also of interest is that Cyngn has signed a pretty juicy exclusivity deal with an OEM that is universally hated in those areas where Cyanogen has brand recognition.

We Indians change our phones a lot. The reason for that is we are not tied to any carrier contracts with our devices, we buy them at full price. We loose our phones, break them, they get stolen whatever be the reason but we change phones whether it's by choice or by force.

That's one the reasons we cannot spend 50,000 INR on a device every time we buy one, we have to look for cheap options and that's where Micromax cashed in. Touchscreen phones from a brand for less than 15,000 INR is good enough.

Very rarely do people care about the quality, all they want is a touch screen phone. Now the nerds and techies like us know the truth about Mediatek devices and that's why we prefer OEM's like HTC, Samsung, Sony etc.

But Micromax, No way! I was even surprised when Google tied up Micromax, karbonn and Spice. All of these supposed OEM's have just rebranded Chinese phones and put Android on them.

The only truly Indian OEM which I had hope from was Notion Ink, but they couldn't compete with the big guns.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to munchy_cool For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift munchy_cool Ad-Free
18th December 2014, 03:33 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
"as long as OnePlus didn’t breach the agreement in the first 30 days, Cyanogen “shall not engage in the integration of CyanogenMod with any other mobile device manufacturer for the purpose of distributing such device in the permitted territory”."

This part of the article is incorrect as if you look at what was actually written in the report it states:

"Provided OnePlus is not in breach of this Agreement, for a period of thirty (30) days after the Launch Date, Cyanogen shall not engage in the integration of CyanogenMod with any other mobile device manufacturer..."

If you look at the position of the comma in the actual statement in the report, you can see that these conditions are only applicable for the first 30 days after launch
The Following User Says Thank You to vvarma1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vvarma1 Ad-Free
18th December 2014, 03:55 PM |#11  
Flag Cleveland, Texas USA
Thanks Meter: 63

More
How disheartening that Cyanogen has gone so corporate so fast. I wonder if it's just the new faces they have for the company and Steve Kondik & Co. were as surprised by what happened as OnePlus was. I can't imagine the actual devs have changed that much, but they definitely let the new corporate "suits" they hired run them into the ground fast.......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WA_Bob For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift WA_Bob Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)