Its Easy to run Full Android on Tewee 2

Search This thread

rocker196

Mar 28, 2020
please help

anybody can help i have teewe 2 streaming stick but i am not able to connect it to wifi as main app support is now gone...and i have smart handy tv installed in it.

Cool_Ansh

Mar 29, 2013
Hi guys,

I was just playing with my Teewe 1 today and decided to try this out. Everything worked so far. But as everyone knows WiFi settings were not available. But turns out the Tewee apps have nothing to do with it. I disabled all the Teewe apps(it runs atleast twice as fast now) from auto-starting using 'Autostarts' app, but still I was connected to WiFi. So I thought of accessing the WiFi settings through ADB using the the following intent :
Code:
./adb shell am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.wifi.WifiSettings

It opens up the usual android Wifi Settings and everything works!
Now all we need to do is just pull the settings app and change the Name and Intent of the option from Ethernet to WiFi. If someone can do it it would be great. Otherwise I will probably do it in some time.

Also since I disabled the Teewe apps from startup, so it directly boots up to the launcher!

Thanks sonalswaroop for the code to access wifi setting.

Kindly share the settings.apk with ethernet modified to wifi. that would help a lot.

i own Tewee -1 past few years and it was lying idle, now searching over internet i came across few threads and now i am using as per following:-
1- Installed nova launcher (its running smooth for me)
2- its pre rooted, but i updated su binary & installed SU. Thanks to coolhunk4o2 in first post of this thread
3- Installed Mx player
4- since only 1gb is available so install the apps only which is needed & with 1gb ram, my MX player easily runs 720p/1080p videos with file size upto 1gb.

- on USB port i am using 4 port usb hub (1 port is for wireless mouse & other for USB pendrive (currently using 64gb to play movies/videos etc)
- 1 micro usb is for powering through TV usb port (or you can use mobile charger etc)
- 1 micro usb is spare

Here's a little help for others, as how i did it (right from start - OR you can reset to start afresh) :-
** I removed cover and using the PCB card as it is - open to air (for fast cooling purpose) & also the cover blocks all port on my tewee device.**

Pre-requisite:-
As tewee runs on Android 4+. Download apk files of requisite softwares for android 4+ from apk sites (google it, if you are unknown to such sites).
Put all apk file in a folder in your mobile phone, preferably in phone storage (not on SD card).
a wifi mouse is preferred.

1- Android mobile phone - With app2fire application installed.
2- switch on tewee - it will enable tewee hotspot by default
3- connect your android mobile to tewee via wifi (mobile data should be turned off)
4- open app2fire application on mobile. Go to setup and Search for Fire TV's (if you know the IP of your tewee device, enter it) & press Save
5- Click Upload Button (second from top right corner). it will open your mobile phone file manager. go back upto /storage/emulated/0. Your mobile phone folders will be visible here.
6- go to the folder of apk files for tewee device. Click Nova Launcher.apk (in my case, your can be different, but it should be compatible with Andoid 4+) and Click Install. Usually, it will install the launcher. In case there is error in installing, UPLOAD the file. once uploaded, go to next step.
7- Install file manager apk. I used FX file manager as i used it in my previous phones and handy for me. Now go back in app2fire main screen & click FIRE TV APPS.
8- Apps installed above can be launched by this screen. Usually apps on top are the once installed. Click FX.apk to go to file manager OR Launcher.apk to go to launcher. If launcher was not installed at Point 6 above, then the same can be installed using file manager easily.
9- Once launcher is started, it will ask for default launcher.
10- Launch setting.apk & goto Apps > All running apps & disable anything with name Tewee on it (can be uninstalled too after rooting/updating su binary - refer first post).
11- any app can now be installed using app2fire OR using pendrive on usb HUB (since only 1 port is available on device, so mouse will not work, if hub is not used)
12- there is small reset button - which can be used anytime

Hope this thread is compilation of evry question asked so far.

Now waiting for sonalswaroop for the settings.apk to push in tewee and start using wifi settings easily.

Regards
Ansh

EDIT 1:- sonalswaroop, I opened wifi setting using the code. checked the box to open wifi, but nothing happened after that. Cant click on WPS OR + to add wireless AP and the scanning feature is also not working. i think wireless is disabled in build.prop. if you can check and let us know how to connect to wifi.

EDIT 2:- Can anyone please help with updating setting.apk as sonalswaroop mentioned in post. it would be of of great help.

EDIT 3:- using this apk helps accessing wifi setting directly

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=diewland.settings.wifi

Thanks to developer.
Now the Teere device is running nicely.

Last edited:
Reactions: pawanpazi

Cool_Ansh

Mar 29, 2013
Tewee 1 Dongle - Hardware update

This is what Tewee 1 dongle PCB looks like.

I assume that the Green arrow is showing the wifi anteena over the PCB. The reception is very poor :(.

There are 2 holes punched on the dongle PCB (can be seen in Blue Circle in attached pics).
Can i solder a SMA female connector on it, for installing a 2/5 dbi external antenna for better reception :confused:.

Any expert senior here can help regarding the problem.

Regards

Attachments

• Tewee_Front.jpg
    Tewee_Front.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Tewee_Back.jpg
    Tewee_Back.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Ravijond

May 18, 2020
Teewe 2 latest 2020 app

Using teewe 2 . Some latest working app
1. Cetusplay (very good),2 . Handy smart TV , 3. Smartyoutubetv.apk ( ultimate youtube app play 720-4k) 4. Amazon prime (3.0.261 hangs little bit but play all movies) 5. Netflix . Plz post if any app for mirroring. Available mirroring app hangs lot. Other good app if any..

---------- Post added at 04:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 AM ----------

Jio TV, jio cinema, Disney hotstar plus not working. Zee5 older apk working but it's loading only old fixed content evertime which I already watched. Latest content not loading. Eros , Sony live not tried

Cool_Ansh

Mar 29, 2013
Hi seniors
I was using tewee2, 6 months back but now I am unable to setup for new WiFi and also not highlighted setup option in tewwee 2 app in mobile. Please guide so that I can start reusing device. thanks in advance. ????
Hi,
There is a code to access wifi settings in android OS. Hope it will work on yours too.

If you have saved any wifi password before OR your mobile hotspot and it's still getting connected to your tewee device, you can do following:-

- connect your tewee device with known wifi (AP or Hotspot)
- connect your laptop to same wifi network.
- use wifi net watcher or cmd prompt to know your tewee device IP address.
- then use adb connect and above mentioned wifi setting command from your laptop to access the wifi setting page.
- use wifi mouse on tewee device for entering credentials.

Regards
Ansh

Hi,
There is a code to access wifi settings in android OS. Hope it will work on yours too.

If you have saved any wifi password before OR your mobile hotspot and it's still getting connected to your tewee device, you can do following:-

- connect your tewee device with known wifi (AP or Hotspot)
- connect your laptop to same wifi network.
- use wifi net watcher or cmd prompt to know your tewee device IP address.
- then use adb connect and above mentioned wifi setting command from your laptop to access the wifi setting page.
- use wifi mouse on tewee device for entering credentials.

Regards
Ansh
I am very beginner so please explain step by step. Thanks in advance

pargat89

May 7, 2021
Did anyone was able to update the firmware Android version from 4.4 to something new? Kitkat is like 6+ years old now and nothing works on it..!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had purchased Teewe 2 Dongle from flipkart during Big Billion days for ₹999/-.
    For your information Teewee is a HDMI dongle just like Google chromecast using which you can play the media stored on your phone/pc on your TV with HDMI. So i wasn't expecting much other than playing my media from the phone/pc.

But to my surprise Teewe 2 is running a full blown Android 4.2.2 . You can convert your TV into android smart TV using Teewee. Just follow the instructions below:

Requirements:
    1. You need a Teewee dongle (obvious)
    2. You need an android phone

Thats it.

Instructions:
    1. Install ES File Explorer and Handy Smart TV on your android phone.

2. Download Handy Smart TV Launcher apk from mod edit - link removed
    3. Connect Teewee to your TV and power it on.

4.Open ES File Explorer and select the Android TV option from the menu. It will display a device called rkXXXXXX. click on it and Select Applications

5. From the menu select install and browse to the location where you downloaded Handy Smart TV Launcher.apk. Voila The launcher is installed on your Teewee

6.. power off and power on your teewee.

7. open handy smart tv app on your smart phone. It should have connected to your teewee by now. In case it is not connected connect it by clicking the icon on the top right side. it should turn into blue from grey. press the home button on the Handy Smart TV app. It should launch the handy Smart TV launcher. U can also launch the Handy SMart TV launcher from the ESFileExplorer app from your android phone.

8. To learn how to use Handy Smart TV Launcher visit here

How to Install Google Play Store

1.you need to have adb tools installed on your PC and should have knowledge on how to use adb.
    2. type the following command on your PC.
    Code:
    adb connect 192.168.1.101
    where 192.168.1.101 is the IP address of the teewe dongle

you should get a response as
    Code:
    connected to 192.168.1.101
    type
    Code:
    adb shell
    on your PC
    you should get a shell prompt which is already has root access
    Code:
    root@android:/ #
    Now mount the /system folder with r/w access by the following command
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/st19 /system
    exit
    unzip files in the Gapps.zip , move to /system/app on your PC and type the following commands
    Code:
    adb push GoogleBackupTransport.apk /system/app
    adb push GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk /system/app
    adb push GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk /system/app
    adb push GoogleLoginService.apk /system/app
    adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk /system/app
    adb push NetworkLocation.apk /system/app
    adb push OneTimeInitializer.apk /system/app
    adb push Phonesky.apk /system/app
    adb push SetupWizard.apk /system/app

The device is already rooted but the su binary is not updated and has root access to adb shell only so to have root access to other apps push the files in Root.zip . This is an optional step only for those who need root access.
    Code:
    adb push busybox /system/bin
    adb push su /system/bin
    adb install Superuser.apk
    adb shell
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

and finally mount /system as r/o.
    Code:
    mount -o remount,ro -t rfs /dev/block/st19 /system
    exit
    adb reboot
    same problem with me.
    i am trying to play movies from my PC via SMB protocol, but quality for 720P is also not good. i mean, they are playing slow video and normal audio for most of time with 700-900MB files.

any setting for it? i am expecting 720p Playing only !!
    I used these settings and its working fine for me. No more issues with smb. Sometimes movie stops inbetween abruptly...thats it.

I hv also changed subtitle positions from bottom to end of picture.. now subtitles are also running fine. Erlier there was overlap in subtitles.

Settings... I hope its ok to share these settings. I have taken these from origional kodi.wiki site.

advancedsettings.xml
    <advancedsettings>
    <network>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <cachemembuffersize>157286400</cachemembuffersize>
    <readbufferfactor>20</readbufferfactor>
    </network>
    </advancedsettings>
    Can we use this on Tewee (Version 1) as I couldnt find it when I searched if this has been replied to.
    Should work on tewee1 too. I think Teewee 1 is better than teewee 2 as Teewee 1 has USB and SD card provision too ( u need to open the Teewe 1 dongle). U can attach a wireless mouse to the USB Port and avoid all this remote mouse business.
    Very useful guide

Few tips :
    1. Device goes to sleep after few min
    > go to developer options
    > select stay awake

2. Select default launcher
    > go to adb shell
    > open launcher dialog by : am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -c android.intent.category.HOME
    > select launcher by : input keyevent <num> ( enter : 66, up : 19, down : 20, left : 21, right : 22 )

3. Setting display to 1080p
    > go to settings, display, HDMI mode, select 1080p ( mine was 720p )

On restarting the device, the Teewe app opens on start. You can press the home button on app to go to the launcher. When in launcher, press back button 2 times to go to the Teewe app.

I had one question. I installed the google play services, then installed youtube via play. But the app is only showing 720p as the highest quality. On pressing the menu button in the app, and choosing settings, the app crashes. Anyone facing this issue ?

Also, if you install any other launcher, how do you control it ? ( never used android tv before ) the handy smart tv launcher has an client app to control it. But what about the rest ? The google remote control app doesn't find the TV ( probably because the google android tv launcher is not present )

I wanted to install this launcher ( play ( dot ) google (dot ) com/store/apps/details?id=net.i.akihiro.halauncher&hl=en )

Is there any other TV Launcher with a good client ?
    Thnk u so much :)

i followed ur steps carefullly and its worked !
    thank you so much for sharing this awsum information ..im so happy :D:D:D:D