FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

FOSS on Android - Where are all the apps i can Trust? There isn't Any!

30 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Divergent Droid, Member on 29th July 2017, 05:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I think Android has a Big Problem - There is little Real FOSS on Android. It's partly Google's fault. It's partly the Linux communities fault. It's partly the Developers fault. Yeah guys i'm talking about You. Or perhaps I'm just really bad at searching but no, I won't accept that. I've seen whats on the Google Play Store.

Sure there is F-Droid which is Awesome but it's not enough. I get that people want to make money. If you have a good app you want to charge for that's fine but Don't expect me to use a Keyboard App for example that wants to access my SD Card and have permission to delete files or view my contact list. Whats wrong with you developers? Don't you even care that most of your apps use unscrupulous practices?

I go about looking for a simple app to increase the size of the icons so my tired eyes can actually read the text below the icon. (Marshmallow 6.0.1) F-Droid doesn't seem to have one. Google Play has lots of ways to do this but they all have ads. O.k. I think, perhaps I can live with an ad or two but then I look at the Permissions and balk! Why does an icon app need to view my network connections or have full network access or change my system settings when all I need it to do is make a bigger icon - It doesn't. ( I won't even go into the Flashlight spying on you issue, Goggle it)

I consider these apps spyware that should NOT be offered on Google Play. That's 99 % of all apps on Google Play. No telling what these apps may be doing in the background and here is the problem. Why this practice seems to be accepted in our society is way beyond me. Or I can admit the truth that we live in a corrupt society where people no longer care.

My 89 year old Mom has had the same IPhone for the past 7 years. It has a tiny screen, poor resolution. She uses it for a phone - that's all. She wont use the internet or any apps on it at all - yet she calls me to look stuff up for her all the time. I'd like to switch her to a much cheaper and more modern Android phone that she can actually use but I Can't and Won't because she don't need the nightmares of ads every 5 minutes and apps that want to access things they have no business accessing.

Android doesn't need virus's, the apps have become the virus. It's sad this has become the norm. Perhaps things will change but I doubt it. Why doesn't Google Play offer a Foss category? Where are all the real Foss apps, does anyone know cus I'm just not seeing them and I think that's sad. It screams volumes that reflect badly on this community. Thank you for reading my rant.

27th January 2018, 02:36 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
https://medium.com/insurge-intellige...e-e836451a959e

Google = CIA
F-droid = can replace most embedded spyware apps. Rooting your device and going nuts with a good root uninstaller are the first steps. Get rid of all Google crap. Installing AdAway is next. Replacement of nearly all bundled spyware is possible.

You will never achieve perfection while using the most popular spyware OS on the planet. But you will not get perfection on Windows or iOS or blackberry or Symbian either. Though it's much worse now.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)