FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[guide] blu life xl (model: #l050u) [root / bootloader unlock / faq]

18 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By TheDarknessz0rz, Junior Member on 23rd May 2016, 02:36 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
The BLU LIFE XL phone is an unlocked GSM platform device.

Currently there are absolutely no threads on the internet with information related to this device. I am not responsible for any damage done to your device, you assume sole responsibility for whatever you do to your devices. If you have questions, please reply to this or PM me, I'll be glad to help any of you!

================

Things you should know before you do anything listed in this post:

- Bootloader unlocking WILL ERASE USER DATA!!!!

- Successful root attempts disable OTA updates. (Unroot + Factory Reset MIGHT fix this)

- You must have OEM unlocking & USB debugging enabled in the developer menu.

- Common sense, don't flash anything you find on the internet randomly, you will cause irreparable damage, I learned that the hard way.

- Download & install the ADB Universal drivers & Android SDK tools (links @ bottom)

================

If you'd like to make a backup of your stock ROM, you can use romdump, it's a nifty tool that does exactly what it says, and it works on pretty much any rooted android phone. (yay) DL: http://d-h.st/ErS

- Download & extract to root directory of your sdcard.
- Open Root Browser (Or any file browser that's for rooted devices)
- Navigate to the path where you copied/downloaded romdump
- Move romdump to /data/local/
- Long press romdump and check all 3 rows of boxes above and press"OK"
- Open terminal emulator (or any equivalent terminal emulator app)
- Type "export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH"
- Type "su"
- Type "chmod 04755 /data/local/romdump"
- Type "/data/local/romdump"
- Wait until the process finishes, do NOT do anything with your device, set it down and leave it.

================

Rooting The Device:

- Have USB debugging, OEM unlocking & unknown sources enabled.

- Download & install the latest version of KingRoot.

- Swipe up three times, press "try it"

NOTICE: If your device restarts through the process, don't worry, your device isn't broken, but there's a good chance the root attempt failed.

================
Unlocking/Locking The Bootloader (THIS WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR DATA!):

- Power off the BLU LIFE XL
- Hold down POWER + VOL UP until the phone turns on.
- Release POWER button, wait for the android to appear on your screen, it might say "No Command", in that case, just press the POWER button once to pull up the recovery menu.
- Use VOL DOWN to navigate down to "Reboot to bootloader" & Press VOL UP
- Plug your phone into your computer
- Navigate to your android SDK folder, and find fastboot. (If you don't have the android SDK downloaded, refer below)
- Type fastboot devices and see if your android device is recognized.
- Type "fastboot oem unlock"
- A menu should appear on your phone screen telling you about unlocking your phone, press VOL UP to unlock your bootloader, or VOL DOWN to cancel.

Alternatively, if you wish to re-lock your bootloader, follow these steps above, however type "fastboot oem lock" instead of "fastboot oem unlock"

================

FACTORY MODE & DEVICE TESTING MENUS:

- Power off BLU LIFE XL
- Press POWER & hold VOL DOWN until the phone turns on.
- Release grip of power button, whilst holding VOL DOWN.

================

Downloads:

Android SDK: https://dl.google.com/android/androi....1-windows.zip

ADB Universal Drivers: http://www.mediafire.com/download/uo...river_v1.0.zip

KingRoot: https://androidmtk.com/download-kingroot-application

Romdump: http://d-h.st/ErS
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheDarknessz0rz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheDarknessz0rz Ad-Free

26th May 2016, 07:28 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
My phone bricked while updating via OTA. It was a fresh L050U, so I don't know why it happened. The only existing stock firmware for repairing is behind a paywall, and I've only found a fw for L050L. Should I use them or what...?
The Following User Says Thank You to redkvothe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redkvothe Ad-Free
28th May 2016, 04:11 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redkvothe

My phone bricked while updating via OTA. It was a fresh L050U, so I don't know why it happened. The only existing stock firmware for repairing is behind a paywall, and I've only found a fw for L050L. Should I use them or what...?

I'm not sure what the differences are between the L050L & L050U. If you could provide me the ROM link, I'll peel through it and compare it to the dumped L050U rom that I have and get back to you.

By the way, I also replied to your comment on reddit.
28th May 2016, 11:08 PM |#4  

More
[QUOTE=TheDarknessz0rz;67059080]I'm not sure what the differences are between the L050L & L050U. If you could provide me the ROM link, I'll peel through it and compare it to the dumped L050U rom that I have and get back to you.
Really could use both those rom links. Can you guys help? rooted my phone and now OTA updates have been disabled.
The Following User Says Thank You to blkkalel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift blkkalel Ad-Free
30th May 2016, 10:45 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
[QUOTE=blkkalel;67070407]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarknessz0rz

I'm not sure what the differences are between the L050L & L050U. If you could provide me the ROM link, I'll peel through it and compare it to the dumped L050U rom that I have and get back to you.
Really could use both those rom links. Can you guys help? rooted my phone and now OTA updates have been disabled.

The ROM I have dumped has personal applications and accounts integrated, I will get around to dumping a clean ROM for you guys soon.

Papa bless
The Following User Says Thank You to TheDarknessz0rz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheDarknessz0rz Ad-Free
5th June 2016, 06:59 PM |#6  
Flag Montezuma

More
BLU Life XL needs all that the mainstream devices have.
Thank you for the info above. It's such a shame this device has such limited info online. I'm not really a Noob, but also not close to a developer. How does one go about creating a custom recovery and a sweet ROM? Do you think you tube might have a how to that is on point or is there a spot here that we as users could request pros to check on it?
1st July 2016, 05:42 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
BLUE LIFE XL (L050U) has anyone else been successful using this root kit? :P
@do_root / TheDarknessz0rz, hey just wondering if the BLUE LIFE XL (L050U) you designed this tutorial for had a specific build that is needed to do this without bricking (like markressler/redkvothe whotf-ever did with his device)? In other words what was the build# of the L050U you designed this root process around? Just wondering man so I can get this done without any worries. I shouldn't have any issues using your root process on my BLU LIFE XL (L050u) Build: ALPS.L1.MP6.V2.15.2_6592.WET_P37 Custom Build version: BLU_L050U_V12_GENERIC, right? I've rooted every android device I've owned back to the original Droid1 without ever bricking during the flashing process. Just wondered if there might be a specific reason this other dude bricked his device.

Thanks in advance for even making a root kit for this device. Would appreciate any advice you have here.
-jim

Edit: I'm ready to do this - just wanted to hear your feedback before I give it a rip.
14th July 2016, 01:04 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
@heatgap, I also have a L050U device. Where you able to unlock bootloader and root your BLU LIFE XL using the procedure desribed above? BTW, Thank you @TheDarknessz0rz
I am new at rooting, etc... Any additional steps you had to do? Or any advice you might give a rookie/noob to be able to get this done?
Many thanks!
Sisafokker
8th August 2016, 02:39 PM |#9  
Flag Fairbanks, AK
Thanks Meter: 20

Donate to Me
More
MOSTLY Stock images / Seeking assistance with recovery
Okay, I've dumped all of the raw images.
Most of them are stock, with the exception of system.img and recovery.img

recovery: insecure ADB, which really does no good until I can put together a custom recovery, or at least get a shell.
system: pre-rooted with SuperSU. Also, will NOT reflash recovery to stock on reboot.

Coming from stock, after you've backed up your user data (because it will be wiped), boot into fastboot mode.
Issue a "fastboot oem unlock-go" to unlock the bootloader. (This only has to be done once.) THIS WIPES EVERYTHING!
Then "fastboot flash system system.img" (This takes a while.)
After first boot and setup, download SuperSU from play store, install and update.

I'm working on putting together a working custom recovery, but I'm not an expert at this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tzenrick For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tzenrick Ad-Free
13th August 2016, 05:29 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Succeded!!! Rooted device!
Following @TheDarknessz0rz initial post, plus some additional help from other posts (I am a noob, needed extra help) I was able to Root my Blu XL Life. Thank you @TheDarknessz0rz for you post, I took the liberty to expand on it in to make it more "Noob friendly" :

BTW, my Blu Life XL is:
Custom Build Version: BLU_L050U_V13_GENERIC
Android Version: 5.1

This is exactly what I did:
1 - Installed Android SDK on your computer: download the program, extract, Start the "SDK Manager" file and deselect everything except “Android SDK Platform-tools”)
2 - Power off the BLU LIFE XL
3 - Hold down POWER + VOL UP until the phone turns on.
4 - Release POWER button, wait for the android to appear on your screen, it might say "No Command", in that case, just press the POWER button once to pull up the recovery menu.
5 - Use VOL DOWN to navigate down to "Reboot to bootloader" & Press VOL UP
6 - Plug your phone into your computer with a USB cable. Your phone should indicate that the device is connected.
7 - On your computer, Navigate to your android SDK folder , open the "platform-tools" subfolder and Shift+Right Click on an empty area. Choose “Open a Command Prompt Here”
8 - On your computer, On the Command Prompt: Type "fastboot devices" and see if your android device is recognized.
9 - On your computer, On the Command Prompt: Type "fastboot oem unlock"
10 - A menu should appear on your phone screen telling you about unlocking your phone, press VOL UP to unlock your bootloader, or VOL DOWN to cancel.
11 - You should see on your computer´s command prompt "OKAY, Finished total time 20.4345 sec" (approx).
12 - Your phones screen should remain black, with a few rebooting options available. In my case, I had to type on the command prompt "fastboot continue" to make the phone reboot as the "volumen up or down" were not recognized when I pressed them on my phone.
13 - Phone will be hard rebooted. All data errased.

After you have successfully unlocked your Bootloader,
Download the Kingo Root and Root Checker apps
Run Kingo Root (I had to run it two times as the first time it rebooted when at 20% and it failed) and root the device
Run Root Checker to verify the device has been rooted.
CONGRATULATIONS, this is the first step.... read below.

Once your device has been rooted, then you need to:

1) Install Custom Recovery:
I was able to install a custom recovery on my device following a youtube tutorial: search on youtube for "CUSTOM RECOVERY TWRP PARA EL BLU LIFE XL" by Luis Robert (sorry, cannot post external links)

2) Update your SU Binary (you will be told about this when you open either SuperSu or Kingo Super User...
I had massive problems updating the SU Binary, tried 5 different methods but the only one that worked was this youtube tutorial: search for "How to Replace Kinguser KingRoot with SuperSU No PC" by Iron Tech. The tutorial was meant to replace KingoRoot by SuperSU, but in the process it updated my SU Binary (I spent at least a full day trying different methods that did not work for me)

In theory, now you can enjoy all the benefits and options that a rooted device provides...
Hope this helps

Thanks again for the help!
Cheers
Sisafokker
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sisafokker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sisafokker Ad-Free
25th September 2016, 12:42 AM |#11  

More
This is going to sound stupid, I screwed something up when I was editing a file in /system and now I'm in a boot loop. Also, when I went ot go try to download the raw stock roms images, the download would not initiate. Could you put the upload them somewhere else or is there anything that I can do with the stock recovery that could get me out? I also do not have like anything dumped or anything. L0051UU variant by the way. Thanks in advance
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)