FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 9 Lite

View Poll Results: Do you think the XDA search feature works effectively?

Yes

28 Vote(s)
59.57%
No

19 Vote(s)
40.43%

[GUIDE] How to use the XDA search feature

10,468 posts
Thanks Meter: 14,136

By The Merovingian, Moderator Committee Lead / RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator - Choice is an illusion created between those with power and those without. on 19th July 2015, 04:36 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
How to use the XDA search feature

Welcome to a guide to using the amazing XDA search feature. This guide is primarily for our newest users, but can also be handy for more seasoned members as well.

This guide is based on the XDA PC 2015 theme. Themes can be selected at the bottom of any XDA forum page using PC or mobile browser.

What is one of the most common things XDA users get flamed for?

Not searching before posting.

It can be quite daunting joining a site with so many experienced members. So much information and spread out over so many threads and forums. We've all been there. So I'm creating a basic guide to how to use one of the most important features of this amazing site. We'll start with finding your device and its relevant forums and also how to find specific information in specific threads. As a member of XDA assist, I use the XDA search feature constantly. I assure you, it works very well when used properly. Let's begin!

First, here's some helpful searching tips and tricks

Use keywords. Using specific keywords will help filter your search to more specific results.

If posting a question in the Q and A forum, type your question in the "Search Forum" box first. This will show you if the question has already been asked.

Be specific. If you want to find a root method for your device, find your device's General forum, then type "(device name) root" in the "Search forum" box.

Take your time when looking through search results. Patience is a virtue. Remember, the amount of information on XDA is vast. Chances are, if you have a question, there's already a thread about it. If the device you're searching for has any support, there will be information available.

Read. READ. Succeed.

Finding your device forums with Type to find a device

First, start by typing your device name in the Type to find device box.
(I'll use the Nexus 6 as an example)

Here we see what happens when you type in the find my device box. Suggestions start to appear that are similar to your query.

Once you've typed in the full device name, click on the drop down or press enter.

If there are specific forums for your device, this will lead you to them. This should be the result:

From there, you now have access to all of the forums related specifically to your device.

Using the Search all forums box

Sometimes, if you type a device in the Type to find device box, there may be no results. Have no fear, that doesn't mean that there isn't tons of useful information on XDA about it. This is when we use the Search all forums box.

Let's do a search for a lower activity device:

Here, I'm searching for an Alcatel One touch.
I know from XDA assist that this is a common but low activity device. So now we click on the device name and that leads us here:

You are now seeing all the threads that mention or are tagged with the device you searched for.

If you were looking for root methods for the Alcatel one touch idol 3, You'd type in the Search all forums box "Alcatel one touch idol 3 root".
That would look like this:

From here, you can find relevant threads regarding your specific search.

Now, let us discover yet another awesome search feature!

Using the Search this thread box

This search box is located on the top right of any specific thread, right next to the page counter. From here, we can search for specific things inside of a specific thread.

For example, I will now search a specific thread for a specific item or term:

I'm searching for posts that contain the keywords PRL update.

Here is what the results look like:

You will see all the results for your keywords.

One last search feature to discuss, the Search this forum box.

Using the Search this forum box

At the top right of every forum, there is a Search forum box. Use this to find specific threads inside of that specific forum.

For example, I will now search the Nexus 6 general forum for the OTA help desk thread:

This what the results show:

This is a handy feature if you know what you're looking for. Also, use this feature before creating a new post. This will let you know if your question has already been asked or your topic has already been posted.

For steps on shaking your noob status and information on "Let me Google that for you", look HERE.

I hope this helps guide you to what you're searching for a little easier. I also hope it helps prevent flaming. Search is your friend, use it to its fullest capacity.

Thanks @TonyStark for constant support, guidance, and friendship.
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to The Merovingian For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift The Merovingian Ad-Free

19th July 2015, 04:36 AM |#2  
OP Moderator Committee Lead / RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator - Choice is an illusion created between those with power and those without.
The Matrix

More
Using the XDA search feature with Tapatalk and the XDA application

The XDA search feature is much more limited in capabilities inside these applications. I strongly recommend using a mobile browser or PC for more specific searches.

Using search inside the XDA application

Press the 3 line menu on the upper left side. Then select search from the bottom of the menu list.

From there, this is the next screen:

From here, click the magnifying glass in the upper right.

I've entered Nexus 6 into the search field. Now press enter or, in my case, the blue magnifying glass on my keyboard. This will now show you all the relevant threads to Nexus 6.

Now we enter a specific forum. My example will be the Nexus 6 General forum.

From here, click the magnifying glass and search for specific threads within that forum. I will use "How to flash a factory image" as an example.

Then you will get all the threads that contain those keywords. You may have to scroll a bit, but the results are there.

Using search within the Tapatalk application

The XDA search feature is also limited in this application. Usage will be similar to the XDA app instructions.

Click the magnifying glass in the upper right of the screen.

From there, you can search for subforums.

Again, we will now search within a specific forum. I'm using the Nexus 6 General forum as an example again.

Now I will search for the specific term "Sprint users" to find the relevant threads.

Here are the results:

Searching within a specific thread is not a feature within these applications. To make best use of all the search features of XDA search, use a PC or a mobile browser.

If you have any questions or comments, please post them below. Off topic comments will be removed to keep the thread clean.

Thank you!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The Merovingian For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift The Merovingian Ad-Free
20th July 2015, 03:38 AM |#4  
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Contributor
Arkham
Thanks Meter: 8,506

Donate to Me
More
Definitely gonna help to keep the forum clean
Great Work! @Evolution_Tech

Tapped from my furious dogo
The Following User Says Thank You to v7 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift v7 Ad-Free
20th July 2015, 06:08 AM |#5  
Forum Moderator
Flag Cebu
Thanks Meter: 1,661

More
a must for every forum.. a search instruction...
The Following User Says Thank You to NOSTALGIA For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NOSTALGIA Ad-Free
20th July 2015, 08:58 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
How t use the XDA search feature
Well, that's a great sharing! Thank you very very much!!
The Following User Says Thank You to weihuanglin001 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift weihuanglin001 Ad-Free
21st July 2015, 01:30 AM |#7  
OP Moderator Committee Lead / RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator - Choice is an illusion created between those with power and those without.
The Matrix

More
Post #2 updated as promised.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Merovingian For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift The Merovingian Ad-Free
21st July 2015, 03:05 PM |#8  
The Matrix

More
OP updated with search tips and tricks.
22nd July 2015, 12:18 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 635

More
Lol...but good
The Following User Says Thank You to mlock420 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mlock420 Ad-Free
22nd July 2015, 02:47 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thank you this helped me a lot!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nowguhunter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nowguhunter Ad-Free
23rd July 2015, 11:17 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
thank you very much

Sent from my iPhone Simulator using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ac_test For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ac_test Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)