[GUIDE] Wiko Pulp 4G + Pulp Fab 4G Root, Custom Recovery, Xposed, Unbrick (stock ROM)

Search This thread

Adnihil

Mar 20, 2013
Brussels
I decided to write a guide for the Wiko Pulp 4G and Pulp Fab 4G to collect all the information and resources there are to be found on them in one thread, and to help those that aren't familiar with rooting and flashing etc. This guide will cover how to root your phone, install a custom recovery (TWRP), create a nandroid backup, install SuperSU (over KingRoot/KingUser), install Xposed and the Xposed framework, and how to do a hard reset and a full reset to stock ROM. There are many different ways to do these things but I will only discuss the easiest and safest ways to do them, without the need for a computer.

Okay so the first thing we want to do is create a Nandroid backup. This is a complete backup of our phone which we can use to fix it in case we manage to screw something up. To make Nandroid backups though, we first need to have a custom recovery. I will explain how to do this with Flashify, but to use Flashify our phone needs to be rooted first. Note that you should pay attention to your phone's battery life when doing these things because your phone can get bricked if it dies while in the middle of something.

1. Rooting your phone

These phones are very easy to root using the KingoRoot app from their website, however we will not want to use the newest version of the app but a version not older than 4.9.0. I will explain why later. To get this app, google 'KingRoot 4.9.0 APK' and download the apk file straight onto your phone. Now open it, enable 'Unknown sources' (your phone will prompt you to do this if you haven't done so already), and install. Open the app and follow the instructions, and your phone will automatically get rooted.
Once it is done rooting it will show you a screen like this.
final_bst_Snapshot_555941.jpg

Just ignore this screen and close the app.

2. Installing TWRP (custom recovery)

Now that our phone is rooted, we can easily install a custom recovery using Flashify. You can download 'Flashify (for root users)' from the Play Store for free. Or if for some reason you don't have access to the Play Store, just google 'Flashify APK'.
Now we need an .img file of the custom recovery we are going to install that is compatible with our phone. Two users of this forum, sebi3481 and chuppito, worked on it and produced a custom recovery file that works on both the Wiko Pulp 4G and the Wiko Pulp Fab 4G which you can download here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3qXB-4YIhwXSHBleDVwbjQzbTA/view
Be sure to thank sebi3481 and thank chuppito for their work by clicking the 'Thanks' button in the lower right corner of their post!

After downloading the img file to your phone, open Flashify, tap 'Recovery image', select 'Choose a file', and tap 'File explorer' to look for the file you just downloaded (for some reason if you select 'Downloads' instead of 'File explorer', the file will be greyed out and you won't be able to select it). Select the img file, tap 'Yup', wait for it to finish, and tap 'Reboot'. Now your phone will reboot into its new custom recovery. Swipe to Allow Modifications and you are done!
If TWRP offers you to root your phone or to install SuperSU, select no. Your phone is already rooted and we will be installing SuperSU ourselves right after creating a Nandroid backup.

3. Creating a Nandroid Backup

In TWRP (our custom recovery), first go to the Settings to uncheck 'Enable screen timeout'. This will prevent our screen from locking while it is creating a backup. Then, go to Backup, check all boxes, tap 'Select Storage' to choose where to create the Nandroid backup, and Swipe to start the backup. These backups are quite large (over 6GB) and take quite a long time (can be over 30 minutes), so choose a place where you have enough space and don't worry if it appears to have frozen, just wait it out.
Once finished, tap 'Reboot system' to reboot back into Android.
4. Installing SuperSU

If you followed this guide and rooted your phone using KingRoot, it will have installed its own superuser app called KingUser (or something along the lines). The problem with this superuser app is that it isn't compatible with every root app there is, so we will want to delete it and replace it with SuperSU. This can very easily be done using the app Super-Sume Pro which you can get in the Play Store for $5 (though if you've gotten this far you should already know how you can pirate it if you want to try it before buying).
Note that Super-Sume Pro only works if you rooted your phone with a version of KingRoot 4.9.0 or older, which is why we used KingRoot 4.9.0 in step 1, rather than the newest version from their website.
Once installed, open Super-Sume, grant it root access, press the blue button, and wait for it to finish. Once it is finished, SuperSU with automatically be opened and prompt you to update the binary. Tap Continue and then choose Normal. When it finishes installing tap Reboot, and you are done!

5. Installing Xposed

First, download and install the Xposed apk from this thread (attachment at the bottom):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3034811
Next, download the SDK and place it anywhere on your phone or SD card:
http://dl-xda.xposed.info/framework/sdk22/arm/xposed-v86-sdk22-arm.zip
Now open Flashify, select 'Zip file', and choose the zip file you just downloaded. Select 'TWRP or Philz' (don't check any of the boxes that come up after you do), tap Yup, and choose 'Use provided'. When the flash is complete, tap reboot. Now your phone will reboot and start installing the framework which will take some time. Again, don't worry if it seems to have frozen, just wait it out. Once your phone has rebooted, you should be good to go! If somehow it did not work, try doing it again but choose 'Copy first' instead of 'Use provided'.
Remember to thank rovo89 for his work by clicking the 'Thanks' button in the lower right corner of his post!

6. Unbricking

So we messed up and somehow bricked our phone, no worries! There are multiple things we can do to unbrick it. The first thing we want to try is enter the recovery mode to either restore from a Nandroid backup, or do a factory reset. We can enter our recovery by turning off our phone (by taking out the battery and putting it back in), and then pressing and holding the 'Volume +' and 'Power' buttons. Your phone will boot up and the Wiko logo will appear, but keep on holding the buttons until the recovery screen appears. For the Pulp Fab 4G, it is possible that you have to press the power button after the Android logo appears to enter recovery.

6.1. Restoring from Nandroid backup
If you have TWRP installed and have made a Nandroid backup, simply select Restore, select the backup you want to use, and Swipe to Restore. Remember to create a backup regularly and copy it to your PC or other storage devices!

6.2. Doing a Factory Reset
In case you don't have a Nandroid backup,
TWRP: Select 'Wipe' and then Swipe to Factory Reset (do not go into Advanced Wipe).
Stock recovery: Use the physical buttons to navigate to and select 'Factory reset'.

6.3. Reinstalling the stock ROM
If you could not fix your phone using the previous methods, there's one more thing you can try, and that is reinstalling the stock ROM. You can download the ROM for your device from their website. Unlike most ROMs though, these ROMs come with a tool to install it. For this you will need a computer. As far as I know you cannot get the ROM seperately to install it in the traditional way.
Pulp 4G stock ROM:
http://world.wikomobile.com/update-891-pulp-4g
Pulp Fab 4G stock ROM:
http://world.wikomobile.com/update-902-pulp-fab-4g
Extract the files to a new folder, open the exe file, and follow the instructions.

This guide is mostly finished so I'm already posting it but I will be be adding more stuff when I get the time.

Last edited:

elocnix

Jan 16, 2016
Thanks a lot, Adnihil. I'm going to buy Wiko Pulp 4G next week and your thread looks very usuful. Will root/customize it ASAP. :laugh:

2fast2me

Sep 22, 2016
I decided to write a guide for the Wiko Pulp 4G and Pulp Fab 4G to collect all the information and resources there are to be found on them in one thread, and to help those that aren't familiar with rooting and flashing etc. This guide will cover how to root your phone, install a custom recovery (TWRP), create a nandroid backup, install SuperSU (over KingRoot/KingUser), install Xposed and the Xposed framework, and how to do a hard reset and a full reset to stock ROM. There are many different ways to do these things but I will only discuss the easiest and safest ways to do them, without the need for a computer.

Okay so the first thing we want to do is create a Nandroid backup. This is a complete backup of our phone which we can use to fix it in case we manage to screw something up. To make Nandroid backups though, we first need to have a custom recovery. I will explain how to do this with Flashify, but to use Flashify our phone needs to be rooted first. Note that you should pay attention to your phone's battery life when doing these things because your phone can get bricked if it dies while in the middle of something.

1. Rooting your phone

These phones are very easy to root using the KingoRoot app from their website, however we will not want to use the newest version of the app but a version not older than 4.9.0. I will explain why later. To get this app, google 'KingRoot 4.9.0 APK' and download the apk file straight onto your phone. Now open it, enable 'Unknown sources' (your phone will prompt you to do this if you haven't done so already), and install. Open the app and follow the instructions, and your phone will automatically get rooted.

Now that our phone is rooted, we can easily install a custom recovery using Flashify. You can download 'Flashify (for root users)' from the Play Store for free. Or if for some reason you don't have access to the Play Store, just google 'Flashify APK'.
Now we need an .img file of the custom recovery we are going to install that is compatible with our phone. Two users of this forum, sebi3481 and chuppito, worked on it and produced a custom recovery file that works on both the Wiko Pulp 4G and the Wiko Pulp Fab 4G which you can download here:
Be sure to thank sebi3481 and thank chuppito for their work by clicking the 'Thanks' button in the lower right corner of their post!

After downloading the img file to your phone, open Flashify, tap 'Recovery image', select 'Choose a file', and tap 'File explorer' to look for the file you just downloaded (for some reason if you select 'Downloads' instead of 'File explorer', the file will be greyed out and you won't be able to select it). Select the img file, tap 'Yup', wait for it to finish, and tap 'Reboot'. Now your phone will reboot into its new custom recovery. Swipe to Allow Modifications and you are done!
If TWRP offers you to root your phone or to install SuperSU, select no. Your phone is already rooted and we will be installing SuperSU ourselves right after creating a Nandroid backup.

In TWRP (our custom recovery), first go to the Settings to uncheck 'Enable screen timeout'. This will prevent our screen from locking while it is creating a backup. Then, go to Backup, check all boxes, tap 'Select Storage' to choose where to create the Nandroid backup, and Swipe to start the backup. These backups are quite large (over 6GB) and take quite a long time (can be over 30 minutes), so choose a place where you have enough space and don't worry if it appears to have frozen, just wait it out.
4. Installing SuperSU

If you followed this guide and rooted your phone using KingRoot, it will have installed its own superuser app called KingUser (or something along the lines). The problem with this superuser app is that it isn't compatible with every root app there is, so we will want to delete it and replace it with SuperSU. This can very easily be done using the app Super-Sume Pro which you can get in the Play Store for $5 (though if you've gotten this far you should already know how you can pirate it if you want to try it before buying).
Note that Super-Sume Pro only works if you rooted your phone with a version of KingRoot 4.9.0 or older, which is why we used KingRoot 4.9.0 in step 1, rather than the newest version from their website.
Once installed, open Super-Sume, grant it root access, press the blue button, and wait for it to finish. Once it is finished, SuperSU with automatically be opened and prompt you to update the binary. Tap Continue and then choose Normal. When it finishes installing tap Reboot, and you are done!

5. Installing Xposed

First, download and install the Xposed apk from this thread (attachment at the bottom):
Now open Flashify, select 'Zip file', and choose the zip file you just downloaded. Select 'TWRP or Philz' (don't check any of the boxes that come up after you do), tap Yup, and choose 'Use provided'. When the flash is complete, tap reboot. Now your phone will reboot and start installing the framework which will take some time. Again, don't worry if it seems to have frozen, just wait it out. Once your phone has rebooted, you should be good to go! If somehow it did not work, try doing it again but choose 'Copy first' instead of 'Use provided'.
Remember to thank rovo89 for his work by clicking the 'Thanks' button in the lower right corner of his post!

6. Unbricking

So we messed up and somehow bricked our phone, no worries! There are multiple things we can do to unbrick it. The first thing we want to try is enter the recovery mode to either restore from a Nandroid backup, or do a factory reset. We can enter our recovery by turning off our phone (by taking out the battery and putting it back in), and then pressing and holding the 'Volume +' and 'Power' buttons. Your phone will boot up and the Wiko logo will appear, but keep on holding the buttons until the recovery screen appears. For the Pulp Fab 4G, it is possible that you have to press the power button after the Android logo appears to enter recovery.

If you have TWRP installed and have made a Nandroid backup, simply select Restore, select the backup you want to use, and Swipe to Restore. Remember to create a backup regularly and copy it to your PC or other storage devices!

TWRP: Select 'Wipe' and then Swipe to Factory Reset (do not go into Advanced Wipe).
Stock recovery: Use the physical buttons to navigate to and select 'Factory reset'.

If you could not fix your phone using the previous methods, there's one more thing you can try, and that is reinstalling the stock ROM. You can download the ROM for your device from their website. Unlike most ROMs though, these ROMs come with a tool to install it. For this you will need a computer. As far as I know you cannot get the ROM seperately to install it in the traditional way.
Pulp 4G stock ROM:
Pulp Fab 4G stock ROM:
Extract the files to a new folder, open the exe file, and follow the instructions.

This guide is mostly finished so I'm already posting it but I will be be adding more stuff when I get the time.

>>> YAHOOOOO THANKS for who made this twrp recovery WORK for WikoPulp Fab 4G it.s working very good ! folow the steps from this topic exactly and it"s done! Thank you XDA and thank you SEBI3841 and chuppito great job there!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::good::good:

Simonbz

Jun 2, 2010
when I arrived to swipe to allow modifications, the touch on twrp doesn't seem to work ... the only thing I can do is rebooting .... I managed to touch inside the twrp .. it seems a problem of not correspondancy of button and touch position .. now I've to put inside a 32 gb sd card to make the backup of the phone. :) without nothing on it should not take so long .. :)
Reinstalled the stock rom .. kingroot doesn't root my wiko pulp any more ... don't understand why ...

Last edited:

mechimichi

Nov 9, 2013

1. Rooting your phone

4. Installing SuperSU

5. Installing Xposed

6. Unbricking

Pulp 4G stock ROM:
Pulp Fab 4G stock ROM:

Thank you friend. You helped me a lot. I had rooted my Pulp Fab 4G before and was able to flash TWRP and add Xposed Framework thanks to your post. I appreciate your post. I wish you all the best. Greetings[emoji106]

Sent from my PULP FAB 4G using XDA-Developers mobile app

sebaudry

Jan 21, 2011
Hello, I bricked a Wiko Pulp 4G with kingo root.
My PC OS is Windows 10 64 bits.
I do not manage to install the drivers included by Wiko with the stock ROM. :(
Does someone have a file to put on a sdcard to flash it with the stock recovery (update from sd card option) ?
I can't see another way to fix this problem, maybe you can help me ?

Thanks,
Sebastien

--- Edit ----
It's ok i managed to flash it with a Windows XP...
Thanks for your guide i should have read it before trying to root my phone...

Last edited:

nikitaly

Jan 9, 2017
i need a new rom

good morning i don't understand why wiko pulp fab 4g doesn't support andorid 6.0. ( the compoments are very good) i need a custom rom, please help me!:):):):):)

Reactions: toomson35

JanSchotsmans

Oct 16, 2008
Alken
www.togeek.net
Hello, I bricked a Wiko Pulp 4G with kingo root.
My PC OS is Windows 10 64 bits.
I do not manage to install the drivers included by Wiko with the stock ROM. :(
Does someone have a file to put on a sdcard to flash it with the stock recovery (update from sd card option) ?
I can't see another way to fix this problem, maybe you can help me ?

Thanks,
Sebastien

--- Edit ----
It's ok i managed to flash it with a Windows XP...
Thanks for your guide i should have read it before trying to root my phone...

I had some peculiar issue's with WIKO's flash software too.

It repeatedly failed at 94%

Then I was like "wtf, I'm going to check what it has done up to those 94% and if the system boots, I'll reflash it from there."

Turns out, failing at 94%, there was actually nothing missing from the firmware, it was 100$ perfectly installed.

CinzasDZN

Feb 6, 2017
Recovery mode don't work

Hello

I bricked my phone (Wiko pulp 4g), my recovery mode or fastboot mode won't open from any way, it just crashes and reboot the phone when I try to enter on recovery mode. (All the phone still work, the only thing that don't work is reading SIM cards).

What can I do? I already tried to install stock rom but my wiko program on pc don't want to download and inject the rom on android.

JanSchotsmans

Oct 16, 2008
Alken
www.togeek.net
Sorry for the late reply.

Is your issue with loading fastload when you try to do it at boot (open bootloader trough button combination at powerup?)

Can you trigger fastload trough ADB instead?

Punzer

Aug 28, 2006
Just to know: I'm not very used to Android, so I don't know how things work. The Pulp Fab 4g is not having, so far, an official 6 or 7 android upgrade, is it possible to install a custom ROM? I can't find any information on this...
Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I have no knowledge on Android!

I_TheFenix_I

Oct 25, 2016
What if i only do the kingroot thing?

I just want to root my phone... why would i want to do all those tings if with kingroot allready is rooted?

D

Deleted member 8522376

1. Rooting your phone

4. Installing SuperSU

If you followed this guide and rooted your phone using KingRoot, it will have installed its own superuser app called KingUser (or something along the lines). The problem with this superuser app is that it isn't compatible with every root app there is, so we will want to delete it and replace it with SuperSU. This can very easily be done using the app Super-Sume Pro which you can get in the Play Store for $5(though if you've gotten this far you should already know how you can pirate it if you want to try it before buying).

5. Installing Xposed

6. Unbricking

Pulp 4G stock ROM:
Pulp Fab 4G stock ROM:

And sorry for my clusmy english ...:angel:

Adnihil

Mar 20, 2013
Brussels
Hello everyone, sorry I'm only getting back to you all now, I got really busy for apparently way longer than I thought! For your questions, I'm afraid that by now I've forgotten basically everything I knew about rooting this phone so I'm as clueless as you are... But I'll (try to) look into it!

loded

Nov 14, 2015
Hi,
Sorry to bother you guys...Just wanted to let you know that the link for twrp recovery is not working ( the file might have been deleted). Is it possible to upload it again?
Thanks.

loded

Nov 14, 2015
anyone has It? twrp (img) recovery file of Wiko pulp 4g?
PLEASE Respond I can't find it anywhere!! I even searched in Google

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Rooting your phone

4. Installing SuperSU

5. Installing Xposed

6. Unbricking

Pulp 4G stock ROM:
    Pulp Fab 4G stock ROM:

anyone has It? twrp (img) recovery file of Wiko pulp 4g?
    PLEASE Respond I can't find it anywhere!! I even searched in Google

Hi there! If you still need it, I could upload it later today. Please consider that I'm from Europe, time zone CET +1.
    i need a new rom

good morning i don't understand why wiko pulp fab 4g doesn't support andorid 6.0. ( the compoments are very good) i need a custom rom, please help me!:):):):):)
    Hi there! If you still need it, I could upload it later today. Please consider that I'm from Europe, time zone CET +1.

I don't reside in EU either. :) SE Europe here.
    Here you go, mate: https://cloud.disroot.org/s/NPp5KsYFfSbSJeo

If you stumble upon any custom ROM for Pulp 4G (newer than stock LP 5.1), please post it here or send me a PM.
    I've spent countless hours searching for it, but to no avail.
    I'm aware of detailed howto's for building it from scratch/cloning from git etc. but an acute lack of time and proper skills, plus a clumsy dual core PC with 4GB RAM, made it 'a no go' for me. :/

Cheers!

Thank you so much.
    Just one question is the custom recovery for Pulp 4g and Pulp 4g fab* the same? As wiko has 2 different variations... And I'm using Wiko pulp 4g and not the other version.
    Thanks in advance.
    @semmima There's a link in my post from July 26, just scroll up to find it. ;)