FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Hi-Fi playback on Android (developers/testers only)

239 posts
Thanks Meter: 312

By avs333, Senior Member on 24th January 2015, 08:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Each and every app on Google Play makes use of Android audio system to play music files (excluding my old andLess and the "USB Audio Recorder PRO" for external usb). The trouble with such playback is that you get a perfect 16/48000 or (44100) stream no matter the source file which is first downsampled then (digitally) clipped to the requested volume. Just try running this while playing _any_ file ("pcm15p" is for Qualcomm-based devices only, "15" needs be replaced with a different number for other ones):
Code:
adb shell cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm15p/sub0/hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S16_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 48000 (48000/1)
period_size: 240
buffer_size: 480
As the time goes by and new devices receive better hardware, you'd expect this to change. No such luck with Android yet.
So I wrote a test app that plays lossless FLAC files directly through the ALSA driver.

The disgrace is:
1) It's targeted to recent msm8974 or apq8084 based devices and has no built-in support for other ones. If you've got an unsupported device, you have to modify the cards.xml file settings before anything, and this may be tricky (see below).
2) Root access is a must. A Permissive selinux setup may also be required (adb shell; setenforce Permissive).
3) No formats other than 16/24-bit FLAC or 16-bit APE are supported. There's a curious bug with 24-bit APE (won't be fixed);
-- All files not recognised for playback will be routed to Android;
-- If a particular sample rate (e.g., 176400) is not supported by hardware, it will be silently downsampled to its base rate (88200 or 44100 in this example);
-- If a particular format (i.e. a compressed stream, or 24-bit pcm or even 16-bit on some usb devices) is not supported, an error will be shown
4) In ALSA mode, volume controls work only when the app is in foreground (to be fixed);
5) Switching to/fro the Compr device may reboot your phone (kernel bug; workaround will be included later);

The settings file is called "/sdcard/.alsaplayer/cards.xml" and it's well commented. If you have a device missing there, all settings go in this file. A simple tip is checking the output of a mixer program like tinymixer and adding the diff when the device is playing and when it's not. These ALSA contrtols will be executed each time before the device is opened/closed/volume managed. The periods size/number to be added later.

This app also tries to play on "compressed" (a.k.a. "offload") Qualcomm devices, but you'll not be able to play FLAC files ulesss your kernel is patched; all newer msm8974/apq8084 devices support the hardware FLAC decoding, please ask your kernel developer to add the code like https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...fd87e90302c456 (I'm not providing a patch intentionally as (1) it's straightforward for an experienced developer (2) the codeaurora interface is really broken). For me, an offload FLAC playback sounds +worse+ than the direct pcm one (and I don't know the reasons why) -- I'm testing with the sennheiser IE-80 & audiotechnica ath 1000D headphones.

The program is opensource https://github.com/avs333/alsaplayer
The kudos go to skvalex who wrote almost all java part!
Attached Files
File Type: apk alsaplayer.apk - [Click for QR Code] (746.7 KB, 2018 views)
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to avs333 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift avs333 Ad-Free

30th September 2016, 04:30 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
If change name flac to wav, it work.
20th April 2017, 03:54 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Dear @avs333,
So.. this alsaplayer is great.
I can config cards.xml to make it work with my Lenovo Vibe X3(that havs built-in Sarbe DAC es9018c2m). So It can work with 24 bits FLAC file in direct PCM mode( that can not work with other, even with Poweramp alpha in HI-RES Mode).
I just need to ask you for support.
+ Can you add support for WAV file?( I mean in alsa PCM mode)
+In offload mode, I know in my device it will use PCM divices number 9, with Control - MultiMedia 4. But it's hidden, I can config it in cards.xml but it il not show in devices list. Of course the pcm device 9 does not show when I tried to list it "alsa_aplay -L".
Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to ctheanh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ctheanh Ad-Free
21st April 2017, 10:30 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Hi @ctheanh!

Thank you for the comments!
Playing WAVs is currently supported in offload mode only, due to some obscure bug with Java I'm failing to find. A good news is that @skvalex (who is much more experienced in Java) has recently decided to join the project, so it'd be fixed soon I believe. He's planning to make a decent interface for this app, which is very rudimentary for the time being (and I'm really sorry for that!).
As to the offload playback, the devices have to be called "/dev/snd/comprCXDY" to be detectable (you need to make a link to such names if they're called otherwise by your specific driver). alsa_play won't show them as they're not pcms.
24th April 2017, 06:02 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Hi @avs333
If you need tester, of course I am willing to join.
I am still optimize something with cards.xml to let it works smoothly. Still got some problem with volume( breaking my ear when changing from 24 bits to 16 bit). And the music will stop when receiving notification.
And, stupid question. How can I config to show offload device in device list?
The Following User Says Thank You to ctheanh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ctheanh Ad-Free
26th April 2017, 02:09 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctheanh

Hi @avs333
If you need tester, of course I am willing to join.
I am still optimize something with cards.xml to let it works smoothly. Still got some problem with volume( breaking my ear when changing from 24 bits to 16 bit). And the music will stop when receiving notification.
And, stupid question. How can I config to show offload device in device list?

You have to specify different volume ranges for 24-bit and for 16-bit/offload playback in cards.xml as the standard QC controls are a bit strange, to say the least. For digital controls, I'm using 0-84 for 16-bit pcms (or *any* offloads) and 40-124 for 24-bit pcms with reasonable defaults (please see the original cards.xml), but using analog controls looks more promising.
To avoid the conflicts with notifications, select a device that is not used for them as they may stop the device even if they fail opening it.
The devices (including offload ones) shown in the "Settings->Device name" list are those specified in "cards.xml" if it is present (to filter out irrelevant playback ones) , or +all+ playback devices otherwise. You can "cat /proc/asound/pcm" to find their ids (and names). E.g., use <device id="17" offload="1"> if you see "00-17: (Compress2) : : playback 1". Please let me know if this doesn't work for some reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to avs333 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift avs333 Ad-Free
3rd July 2017, 10:21 PM |#7  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 4,230

Donate to Me
More
Is development dead? This is an awesome player! I'm asking my friends if they wanna contribute into this project, or we can team up, to push android audio further (you can see our team work with my sig picture link)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to UltraM8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift UltraM8 Ad-Free
3rd July 2017, 10:33 PM |#8  
London, England, UK
Thanks Meter: 994

Donate to Me
More
This seems very interesting.. I've been trying to get this working for AGES and have only successfully played 24 bit over Android O. ALSA is luckily very useful and I believe that card config can also be systemically implemented (as done in AINUR SAURON).

I'll happily join this project if you wish.
The Following User Says Thank You to LazerL0rd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LazerL0rd Ad-Free
18th July 2017, 11:39 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
It seems to be a very good player
However I cannot play the file in external SD.
22nd June 2018, 03:33 PM |#10  
Minsk, Belarus
Thanks Meter: 67

More
Hi everyone,
Looks like someone has forked this project on GitHub and made several commits to it:
https://github.com/cerg2010cerg2010/...ommit-activity
Can anyone build the APK with the newest commits?
The Following User Says Thank You to m00nlighter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift m00nlighter Ad-Free
23rd June 2018, 11:09 PM |#11  
London, England, UK
Thanks Meter: 994

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00nlighter

Hi everyone,
Looks like someone has forked this project on GitHub and made several commits to it:
https://github.com/cerg2010cerg2010/...ommit-activity
Can anyone build the APK with the newest commits?

Other methods exist for HiFi such as OpenSL ES HD and aaudio but this still send interesting so I'll take a look.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LazerL0rd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LazerL0rd Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)