FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Kyocera DuraForce Super Thread

1,349 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,292

By kemonine96, Inactive Recognized Developer on 12th June 2015, 11:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Welcome to the Kyocera DuraForce super thread

There isn't much information floating around for the DuraForce and I've created this thread to aggregate information as it's found so we have a single place for useful information, hacks, etc.

I'll keep the thread as up to date as possible and organize any information from future posts into the originals so people can find information easier.

There is a Lollipop update available for the device as of early February, 2016. I have found a way for users to update if the OTA fails (see below). I've also updated the below posts with information regarding the Lollipop update and moved the KitKat notes to another location (link for old notes is below)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kemonine96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kemonine96 Ad-Free

12th June 2015, 11:42 PM |#2  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Michigan

Donate to Me
More
Ota - lmy47v1218_2217
For those who are having trouble applying a FOTA on the DuraForce, check /cache/fota/xyz_fotalog_123.dat It's a text file that contains a lot of really good info on what is going on during a FOTA. Including errors. Keep a look out for signature mismatch errors.

I had errors with the following files. Took me a few tries to get the OTA applied as each attempt resulted in one error.
  • Uninstall Xposed (moar hacks)
  • /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl (disable PTT/Speaker buttons)
  • /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml (sd card "fix")

If trying to address the issues manually does not work, follow the procedure below.
  1. Download "vanilla" system image from HERE (link)
  2. Extract zip file
  3. Ensure at least 2Gb of storage is available for internal data
  4. adb push mmcblk0p21_KVT49L_0617_0132 /storage/sdcard0/
  5. adb shell
  6. su
  7. dd if=/storage/sdcard0/mmcblk0p21_KVT49L_0617_0132 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21
  8. Reboot phone once it completes. It will take awhile and not report anything during the process.
  9. After phone boots, run "adb reboot recovery"
  10. Wipe data / factory reset
  11. Wipe cache
  12. Reboot
  13. Run software update
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kemonine96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kemonine96 Ad-Free
12th June 2015, 11:43 PM |#3  
Flag Michigan

Donate to Me
More
General Notes - Lolipop
  • Force Reboot: Pwr + Vol Up + Vol Dn + Back + Home + App Switcher buttons for ~10-30 seconds
  • Root: Use KingRoot from http://king-root.net/ -- I used the android APK successfully
  • SD cards bigger than 32Gb still do not work correctly on stock firmware
The Following User Says Thank You to kemonine96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kemonine96 Ad-Free
12th June 2015, 11:43 PM |#4  
Flag Michigan

Donate to Me
More
Known Working Customizations
To be determined
12th June 2015, 11:43 PM |#5  
Flag Michigan

Donate to Me
More
KitKat Notes
All previous notes for KitKat have been moved to a document in box. The notes can be found HERE (link)
12th June 2015, 11:43 PM |#6  
Flag Michigan

Donate to Me
More
Sources / Mirror(s)
The OSS drop is available on Kyocera's developer site: http://www.kyoceramobile.com/support/developers/

Misc file mirror: https://nuskunetworks.box.com/s/p5hw...wkcv3jzfefuw45
The Following User Says Thank You to kemonine96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kemonine96 Ad-Free
14th July 2015, 11:04 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Do you trust Kingo?
I'm THRILLED to hear you were able to root and freeze all the AT&T crapware. I can't wait to do the same. But how do you feel about Kingo? I'm almost leaning more to keeping the bloat, kind of the devil you know, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemonine96

Welcome to the Kyocera DuraForce super thread

There isn't much information floating around for the DuraForce and I've created this thread to aggregate information as it's found so we have a single place for useful information, hacks, etc.

I'll keep the thread as up to date as possible and organize any information from future posts into the originals so people can find information easier.

If you're looking for root, look no further than Kingo. I can confirm the Windows version of Kingo is working on the AT&T varient of the DuraForce.

15th July 2015, 02:25 AM |#8  
Flag Michigan

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomzweifel

How do you feel about Kingo?

I've used it a few times over the last year and can only complain it does a sloppier job compared to SuperSU. Every pre-canned root wants to crap all over /system and none is better than the other so long as you get the su binary in a working state IMHO. I know Kingo is harder to clean up after than SuperSU / others but it's a hell of a lot easier to just use Kingo to root and cleanup after. Stacking root exploits and similar like Kingo is doing is a huge PITA and best left to those specializing in such things.

Quote:

I'm almost leaning more to keeping the bloat, kind of the devil you know, you know?

Fair enough, I was able to replace Kingo with SuperSU pretty easily:
  1. Install SuperSU from Play Store
  2. Run SuperSU and update su binary via "Normal" mode
  3. Authorize SuperSU when Kingo prompts
  4. Allow SuperSU to replace su binary
  5. Freeze/Remove Kingo
  6. Reboot and enjoy SuperSU
  7. Optional: cleanup other Kingo remnants
15th July 2015, 12:51 PM |#9  

More
Components to clean up?
Any chance you can steer me towards the "remnants" that need to be cleaned up and where to find them, just to make sure I get it all? I'm probably going to go though this exact process tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemonine96

I've used it a few times over the last year and can only complain it does a sloppier job compared to SuperSU. Every pre-canned root wants to crap all over /system and none is better than the other so long as you get the su binary in a working state IMHO. I know Kingo is harder to clean up after than SuperSU / others but it's a hell of a lot easier to just use Kingo to root and cleanup after. Stacking root exploits and similar like Kingo is doing is a huge PITA and best left to those specializing in such things.

Fair enough, I was able to replace Kingo with SuperSU pretty easily:

1. Install SuperSU from Play Store
  2. Run SuperSU and update su binary via "Normal" mode
  3. Authorize SuperSU when Kingo prompts
  4. Allow SuperSU to replace su binary
  5. Freeze/Remove Kingo
  6. Reboot and enjoy SuperSU
  7. Optional: cleanup other Kingo remnants

15th July 2015, 05:59 PM |#10  
Flag Michigan

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Any chance you can steer me towards the "remnants" that need to be cleaned up and where to find them, just to make sure I get it all? I'm probably going to go though this exact process tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for the information!

Unfortunately I don't have notes on what Kingo leaves around on /system... Some searching online or poking about /system should yield results.
25th July 2015, 07:43 PM |#11  

More
New OTA Update
I just got notified of an available OTA update but I can't find a changelog or any info on it yet. I'll be sure to post it if I find it.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomzweifel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tomzweifel Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
kyocera-duraforce

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)