The Lenovo S5 Pro is a very decent mid-ranger with good specs and even better pricing. We all know that
~ Please note, that if you install any custom ROMs or stock chinese firmware, you won't be able to restore the global firmware, since nobody saved and published it, yet. ~ (Thanks vladu234 for this warning!)
# The latest chinese firmware with root is available on this link.
# The latest chinese firmwares without root are available on this link.
# TWRP is available on this link.
## Everything else (PC software, drivers, custom camera app etc...) is available in the same Yandex Drive, you just have to navigate to each one. (Most of the content is in russian, since Yandex is the russian Google, but it's not hard to find the files you'll need.)
~ The previous links and the following tutorials are only available, because suninterbru (from 4pda forums) and radiationofthenation provided these informations and the tutorials, thank you! Also thanks to everybody on the 4pda forums, who provided useful information in russian! ~
~ Even though the bootloader unlock, TWRP install and rooting should not cause data loss, be careful and create a backup. You can back up only your files or your whole ROM, it's up to you. ~
~ Please note, that after you unlocked your bootloader everytime your reboot or turn on your phone a warning will pop up during the boot process for about 1 second. The warning is about the side effects of modifying the system software and it also says, that it is not recommended to store any personal data on your device anymore. Please ignore this message, since it's only popping up, because manufacturers usually don't like if you modify your device. ~
*** Bootloader unlock ***
0. In your device's developer settings enable bootloader/OEM unlock and USB debugging. (Please note, that your warranty will become invalid after you unlock your bootloader or root your device.)
1. Visit the official ZUI bootloader unlock website.
2. Enter your IMEI1 number in the first field. (You can find your IMEI numbers in Settings\About or in the dialer enter: *#06#).
3. Enter your serial number in the second field. (You can find your serial number in the fastboot menu. [The one in the settings is not good in this case.] To access fastboot menu, turn off your phone, then press the power button and volume down (-) for about 5-10 seconds.)
4. In the next field enter your email adress (Please note, that Tutanota won't work, Gmail is recommended or other not secure email providers.)
5. Enter the verification numbers in the last field.
6. Tick the checkbox.
8. Click on the blue button.
7. Now check your inbox and/or spam folder, because Lenovo just sent you your custom sn.img, only for your phone.
8. Save the sn.img to your PC and install ADB drivers. (Thank you Snoop05 for your work!)
9. Open a command line (cmd) in the same directory where your adb files were installed.
10. Run the following commands:
- adb reboot bootloader
- fastboot flash unlock sn.img
- fastboot oem unlock-go
11. Congratulations! Your bootloader is now unlocked!
*** TWRP Recovery ***
1. Download the .img file from here.
2. Follow this tutorial and install TWRP on your device. (The working method for me was the ADB install method, where your just flash the downloaded .img file to your device, thorugh commands. It's similar to the bootloader unlocking.)
3. The steps are similar:
- adb reboot bootloader
- fastboot flash ,,downloaded".img
- After the flashing is done DON'T reboot to the system, instead navigate to the ,,Reboot Recovery or Recovery Reboot" option and select it. (Volume keys and power key - you know the drill) This will ensure, that the TWRP Recovery doesn't get ereased on reboot(s)!
4. After your flashed the recovery, check your work. Turn off your phone, boot into fastboot. With the volume buttons you can navigate to the Recovery option, now press the power button to select it. If everything has been done correctly, your TWRP recovery should pop up.
5. If you did not succeed, please check related forums for solution or reply to this thread.
*** ROOT ***
1. The good old SuperSU is no longer in the picture, but don't worry a new player is in the game. Download Magisk from here. (Thank your for your work topjohnwu!)
2. After you've downloaded the flashable .zip copy it to the main directory of your device.
3. Reboot to TWRP
4. Click install, select the flashable .zip file
5. The installation process should start
7. Check if Magisk Manager is installed or not, if yes tap and update it.
8. If you did not succeed, please check the Magisk topic for solutions or reply to this thread.
*** Factory reset | STOCK ROM | Unbrick ***
1. For the factory reset or unbrick follow this tutorial. (Thanks for StupDroid for the article!)
~ other method ~
2. Download any of the previously linked STOCK ROMs to your device's main folder and flash them through TWRP. Most of them are in flashable .zip formats and should work well. A simple factory reset in TWRP is recommended before installing any of the ROMs, be careful this action will erease your data from your phone!
*** HAVOC OS ***
~ The most recommended, stable custom ROM for this device without doubts is HAVOC OS. The other choice is Resurrection Remix RR, but it's not recommended over HAVOC OS. (Thanks for geepnozeex for the ROM recommendations!) ~
# Installing #
1. Visit the official thread here. (Thank you SKULSHADY (Anushek Prasal), ZeNiXxX (Viktor Hermann), theo.j22 (Tushar Jain), DankBoi (Apoorva Kr. Srivastava) and vince31fr for your amazing work!)
2. Even though the fastboot menu says, that our device is a sprout model, we will need ROMs, that are made for arm64_aonly devices.
3. Find the latest download link in the official thread and download the system image from SourceForge. (Please note, if you install earlier versions, than v2.8 you won't have sound, speaker and microphone working during phone calls!)
4. After downloading the .img file, uncompress it and copy it to your device's main folder.
5. Reboot to TWRP
6. Wipe data, cache and dalvik
7. Optional: You can unroot your device with Magisk's uninstaller flashable .zip file. (Since HAVOC OS is almost perfect and everything is customizeable, without bloatware, you can consider unrooting.) [You can find Magisk uninstaller in the thread linked previously in the root section.]
8. Tap on install and choose install image and flash your .img to System.
9. Reboot and after that perform a factory reset.
10. Optional: If there are still leftover files or applications from your previous ROM, reboot to TWRP and tap on format and choose format data. (Please note, that this will erease your device completely and will automatically trigger a factory reset. Your device will reboot 2 times.)
11. Optional | Recommended: If you want your statusbar and notch to be in line, please download this flashable .zip and flash it through TWRP. [The developer's notice of this: ,,Hide notch: If your display has a notch, you can enable the cutout controller which will permit to hide it or leave its foreground black (Havoc settings -> Screen -> Display Cutout) by flashing enableCutoutController-twrp.zip in TWRP. This property is Havoc dependent, so do not submit an overlay that enables it to Phh overlay collection. This flashable zip will install the file treble-overlay-cutout.apk in /vendor/overlay."] # This is no longer needed since HAVOC OS V2.9! #
12. If something is not clear or you prefer to follow the official tutorial I'll copy it here. [The developer's tutorial:
,,1. Download the GSI from the links above, and uncompress it.
2. Wipe Data, Dalvik, and Cache.
3. Remove Magisk if it was previously installed, by using its uninstaller script. Magisk files are stored in the kernel image, and in the /data/adb folder, which are left untouched when wiping data and flashing the GSI. Another option is to flash your stock rom and manually delete the content of the /data/adb folder.
4. Flash the GSI to system partition (AB devices : flashing a vbmeta.img file for your device may also be required).
5. Boot and perform a factory reset.
6. (Optional) Reboot and flash GApps, Magisk, and maybe additional files (see below, GSI Specific Information). If you don't flash GApps with the MagicGapps Magisk module, you may have to resize your system partition in TWRP.
7. Reboot and Enjoy.
If you want to update a previous installation of the Havoc-OS GSI, you can also always try to dirty flash, i.e. wipe Dalvik and Cache (not Data) and flash System image. But if you experience a strange behavior, a clean flash may be required."]
~ Please note, that if you prefer Resurrection Remix (RR), over HAVOC OS you most likely won't have your speaker, sound and microphone working during your calls or you'll be stuck on the boot screen, because of this I won't make a tutorial for installing. ~
### Lenovo S5 Pro related issues in HAVOC OS V2.8 ###
1. OpenCamera or other camera apps most likely won't work and will freeze out with the toast message ,,serious camera error."
2. The default camera app will work, however it doesn't support HDR, panorama or portrait modes. It also can't record in 4K resolution.
3. First time, when you open the camera it'll stuck on loading, but after you go back and open it again it will work flawlessly.
3. The infrared face unlocking will not work, only fingerprint authentication is working.
4. You won't be able to charge your device while it's turned off, after you plug it in, it will automatically boot up.
5. Automatic brightness will not work, even when you falsh the related flashable .zip file.
*** V2.8/V2.9 Camera fix ***
1. Download a custom camera, where you can manually adjust the ISO level.
2. With OpenCamera, for example you have to adjust ISO to 800 and never above, because your camera will freeze!
3. So, always keep ISO 800 or under. With these settings even HDR shots are working!
*** HAVOC OS V2.9 (latest version [recommended]) ***
1. In this release the camera bug disappeared! So feel free to use your camera in any conditions, since the ISO level doesn't matter anymore and you can use HDR, too!
2. You still can't charge your phone, while it is turned off.
3. There's still no charging LED, while the phone is connected to a power source.
4. Every notification will trigger a blue coloured LED indication, so you can't set up custom LED colours, yet.
5. Double tap to wake is not working.
6. Infrared 3D face recognition is not working.
7. MTP most likely won't work, however USB OTG is working fine.
1. There is a new chinese stock ROM in the Yandex Disk folder (link at the beginning of the post).
2. The new chinese stock ROM is now based on Android 9.0 Pie with August Security patch. It means, that now the /vendor of the phone is Pie (Android 9.0).
3. This upgrade comes with changes: ~ Havoc OS 2.9 now won't have sound and microphone working during calls and most likely will have sound card problems!
~ Resurrection Remix (April version) will now work flawlessly, only with the camera bug with ISO levels (explained above). Resurrection Remix (May version) still won't boot up. Be careful, because when you flash RR you'll have to decrypt your data! Backup everything!