FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Meizu X8 (SD710, USB-C, small notch)

141 posts
Thanks Meter: 102
 
By flipp0, Senior Member on 24th March 2019, 05:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Did not find a general Meizu forum on XDA so I decided to start a thread here.

I got Meizu X8 two days ago. Seems to be a great phone for the price. Paid only $202 on the Meizu Official Store on Aliexpress.
Highlights.
Snapdragon 710
4/64, 6/128
IPS 6.15" 1080x2200
IMX362 f.1/9 Phase detection with dual pixel
3210mAh
151.2mm*74.6mm*7.8mm
USB-C

First impression is very good. I have previously owned Meizu 15 Plus and Pro 6 Plus, both of these phones had a lot of lag and stutter, X8 is much smoother and overall faster. Battery life seems good too. Drain around 12% per hour when the screen is on. Around 3-4% over 8 hours at night. Respectable stats taking into consideration that the battery is only 3200mAh. However, the best thing about X8 is the design. It looks much better compared to the Xiaomi Redmi-series. Love the small bezels and tiny notch, also build quality is really solid thanks to the metal frame around the phone. The IPS-panel is also very good and better than other phones with a similair price. I would say the screen is actually better than Pocophone F1 which I owned one month ago. On the bad side, swipe gestures are not as good as on MIUI.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flipp0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift flipp0 Ad-Free
 
 
24th March 2019, 09:09 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 102
 
More
I made a quick and dirty photo comparison with Redmi Note 5 today. Watch it here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/137560...57690553617423
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flipp0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift flipp0 Ad-Free
7th April 2019, 12:43 PM |#3  
mightymaki's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
I've just received this 3 days ago. Would agree with everything you have mentioned so far. Great phone for the price & like you, I had the Pro6 plus as well & this is a much better model. Battery does seem to last quite well considering it isn't that big, screen is nice & vibrant.

No real complaints so far apart from losing the ability to root the phone as with all models up until Flyme 7. I did try using the Meizu root tool but they haven't released/allowed it for the X8 yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to mightymaki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mightymaki Ad-Free
9th April 2019, 07:47 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 102
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymaki

I've just received this 3 days ago. Would agree with everything you have mentioned so far. Great phone for the price & like you, I had the Pro6 plus as well & this is a much better model. Battery does seem to last quite well considering it isn't that big, screen is nice & vibrant.

No real complaints so far apart from losing the ability to root the phone as with all models up until Flyme 7. I did try using the Meizu root tool but they haven't released/allowed it for the X8 yet.

Sounds great!

I am using this gcam mod now:
https://f.celsoazevedo.com/file/gcam...4a_TlnNeun.apk

Just install and then apply these settings:


Night mode works!
The Following User Says Thank You to flipp0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift flipp0 Ad-Free
9th April 2019, 07:53 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 102
 
More
Stock camera:



Night Sight mode on Gcam:
9th April 2019, 08:31 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 102
 
More
Stock camera:


NIght Sight on Gcam:
9th April 2019, 08:43 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 102
 
More
Battery life has been great so far:
10th April 2019, 12:56 AM |#8  
mightymaki's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipp0

Sounds great!

I am using this gcam mod now:
https://f.celsoazevedo.com/file/gcam...4a_TlnNeun.apk

Just install and then apply these settings:



Night mode works!

Thanks alot for this! I was looking through the forum for the right Google camera APK but could only find the 16th version. Installed & working well.

May I ask what firmware/version you have? I was sent the Russian/Global version which means I can't change to either "A" or "G" so may be limited with future firmware upgrades or at least playing around with different versions like I used to with my Pro6 plus.
I've searched for anyway to change however there doesn't appear to be any way to do this currently.
10th April 2019, 09:18 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 102
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymaki

Thanks alot for this! I was looking through the forum for the right Google camera APK but could only find the 16th version. Installed & working well.

May I ask what firmware/version you have? I was sent the Russian/Global version which means I can't change to either "A" or "G" so may be limited with future firmware upgrades or at least playing around with different versions like I used to with my Pro6 plus.
I've searched for anyway to change however there doesn't appear to be any way to do this currently.

I am using the global firmware, version: 7.1.7.1G. I bought mine on the Meizu Store on Aliexpress.

When I got the phone a earlier version of G-firmware was installed. However, it was not possible to update it OTA so I downloaded 7.1.7.1G. from Meizus homesite and made a clean flash from the recovery.

I dont expect a lot of updates on the global firmware. Meizu have a really poor track record when it comes to updating g-firmware. However, this phone runs great as it is now so I am satisfied anyway.
10th April 2019, 11:41 AM |#10  
mightymaki's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipp0

I am using the global firmware, version: 7.1.7.1G. I bought mine on the Meizu Store on Aliexpress.

When I got the phone a earlier version of G-firmware was installed. However, it was not possible to update it OTA so I downloaded 7.1.7.1G. from Meizus homesite and made a clean flash from the recovery.

I dont expect a lot of updates on the global firmware. Meizu have a really poor track record when it comes to updating g-firmware. However, this phone runs great as it is now so I am satisfied anyway.

Thanks & yes, I don't expect much in the way of global updates. I was more thinking that with the G firmware one has the option to change to the A version which gets regular updates. I like playing around with different firmwares but having the RU version it won't be possible unless someone finds a way.
10th April 2019, 11:49 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 102
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymaki

Thanks & yes, I don't expect much in the way of global updates. I was more thinking that with the G firmware one has the option to change to the A version which gets regular updates. I like playing around with different firmwares but having the RU version it won't be possible unless someone finds a way.

Sounds really odd that it is not possible to flash china firmware on your device. I have had Meizu phones with "vendor roms" but always flashed china firmware on these.

It is usually possible to flash china firmware on devices with global firmware (but not the other way around). I had Meizu 15 Plus with the chinese firmware, had to pay $15 to a guy who changed the device ID to global, it was then possible to flash the global firmware. Perhaps you can send him a message and ask about your problem: https://www.facebook.com/nguyenle.huu.5

I will probably stay on global firmware on my device. Android Auto and google contact sync does not work on chinese firmware.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes