FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What CPU governor do you use?

Ondemand/OndemandX

229 Vote(s)
6.99%
Interactive/InteractiveX

1,047 Vote(s)
31.96%
Conservative/Ktoonservative

120 Vote(s)
3.66%
Performance

136 Vote(s)
4.15%
Powersave

79 Vote(s)
2.41%
ZZMoove

156 Vote(s)
4.76%
Intelliactive/Intellidemand

98 Vote(s)
2.99%
Hyper

22 Vote(s)
0.67%
PegasusQ

45 Vote(s)
1.37%
Impulse

121 Vote(s)
3.69%
Smartmax/Performance May Cry

62 Vote(s)
1.89%
ElementalX

189 Vote(s)
5.77%
Alucard

225 Vote(s)
6.87%
Yankactive/YanksusQ/Yankdemand

26 Vote(s)
0.79%
Darkness/Nightmare/Lightning

92 Vote(s)
2.81%
Blu_active

246 Vote(s)
7.51%
SmartassV2/SmartassH3

67 Vote(s)
2.05%
Other

316 Vote(s)
9.65%

[REF][GUIDE]Most up to date guide on CPU governors, I/O schedulers and more!

4,020 posts
Thanks Meter: 8,365

By Saber, Recognized Contributor on 8th March 2015, 05:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
2nd September 2019, 01:57 PM |#991  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmmmaaahh

Read this useful post by the OP:

The governor is the profile you select that will manage a great number of kernel related values, hotplugging can be a part of it. Someone smarter than me will correct that if I'm not (entirely) right ^_^

Finally after a lot of googling. Thank you

4th September 2019, 04:16 PM |#992  
Flag Puerto la Cruz
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Question (from a noob):

Does anyone know if there´s an option or a rom that has kinda like a built-in option to change governors? not the settings, just the governor per se; something like an option on the battery setting to select a governor, then reboot and work with that governor? (not dealing with the option, just changing the governor on the next reboot.

Also, what is more efficient: to go through each frequency or to go to pre-selected frequency?

I think that; battery wise; a pre-selected frequency would be faster but don´t know if would be efficient regarding the workload.
5th September 2019, 10:42 PM |#993  
Flag Cambridge
Thanks Meter: 78

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmmmaaahh

Read this useful post by the OP:

The governor is the profile you select that will manage a great number of kernel related values, hotplugging can be a part of it. Someone smarter than me will correct that if I'm not (entirely) right ^_^

That post pretty much sums it all up.
Before the SoC's (complete boards with everything integrated a.k.a your phones motherboard; ex. Qualcomm Snapdragon, Kirin, OMAP, Samsung Exynos) got so efficient people were disabling some of the cores to save power.
But, since the new ones are way more efficient, switching on and off uses more power than leaving it on and so its not done (it became pointless/inefficient saving electricity that way) - hence hotplugging is removed.
Hotplug was (only) switching cores off and back on, governor sets variables and system settings and so on. In the beginning they were separate pieces of code, later (the mentioned X versions) built the hotplugging logic into the kernel (more efficient code-wise and less error-prone because it could be tailored to a specific kernel/device) .

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDADoog

Question (from a noob):

Does anyone know if there´s an option or a rom that has kinda like a built-in option to change governors? not the settings, just the governor per se; something like an option on the battery setting to select a governor, then reboot and work with that governor? (not dealing with the option, just changing the governor on the next reboot.

Also, what is more efficient: to go through each frequency or to go to pre-selected frequency?

I think that; battery wise; a pre-selected frequency would be faster but don´t know if would be efficient regarding the workload.

Use apps to change govs - you fed root for that.
When the system boots the default settings are used, then, when the app runs it sets the changes (usually after a set and adjustable time out).
When devs create their custom kernels they usually test out various settings and scenarios and will set up the one that works for THEM best (they know very well what and how to test, usually comes down to best user experience unless they state the aim specifically, like say gaming).
They can also set up profiles (purely a set of settings). This if course will become the default that is set while booting the device.
Device vendors aren't spending much time to optimise (read test different sets of settings as it is too time consuming and so foookin expensive) so they'll go with time proven settings and governors, because 'it works best for most average users' and thus creates the least overhead on support departments (and they are right in many ways). Also makes selling new phones easier (newer must be better right?).
Every chip is and behaves different, you can spend endless time searching for the best settings and still not find it. I
Unless you have an older chip (like 3+ wars old) or a castrated (low(er) performance versions of the top end) one, there isn't much of a gain in tweaking it. Just thought you should know. So my answer for your last question is that lots of people spent lots of time debating and proving both, but it all depends (how would you know what freq should be preselected?)
The Following User Says Thank You to Tibiti For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tibiti Ad-Free
9th September 2019, 06:12 PM |#994  
Flag Puerto la Cruz
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thanks for the replies. Is quite a handful all the info regarding governors, schedulers and stuff. So far I just changed my interactive to conservative and disabled the touch boost (phone used to get hot while gaming); plus the i/o scheduler. The phone feels more smooth and battery wise it doesn´t eat up as much.
10th September 2019, 12:10 AM |#995  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 8,365

Donate to Me
More
Guide update
Hi all,

Just updated the guide with headings for HMP and EAS CPU governors. I've also added a Multi-Queue I/O scheduler section for people with newer devices.

Will be working on this guide in the next few days.

Saber
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Saber For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Saber Ad-Free
11th September 2019, 12:14 PM |#996  
Flag Munich
Thanks Meter: 100

More
Hey, I have a little problem with my Galaxy S7 Edge. It is totally fluid only when playing it stutters something. When I set the CPU Governor to "Performance" everything is smooth. Here are the settings of my "Interactive" Governor. Does anyone have any tips what I should change here so that the games run smoothly? I tried to achieve something with the information in the Startpost, but did not get better. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190911-110817_MTweaks.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	4818140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190911-110811_MTweaks.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	4818141  
11th September 2019, 03:40 PM |#997  
Flag Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 58

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by audianer

Hey, I have a little problem with my Galaxy S7 Edge. It is totally fluid only when playing it stutters something. When I set the CPU Governor to "Performance" everything is smooth. Here are the settings of my "Interactive" Governor. Does anyone have any tips what I should change here so that the games run smoothly? I tried to achieve something with the information in the Startpost, but did not get better. Thank you!

Seeing that you are running android 9 one ui u need to flash oreo gpu libs that come with moro 7.0.1 or you can search the BD nfe v4 thread for libs alone
The Following User Says Thank You to Andreja01 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Andreja01 Ad-Free
11th September 2019, 04:16 PM |#998  
Flag Munich
Thanks Meter: 100

More
I'm on BD 4.0 with Moro 7.1. Aida 64 shows r22 libs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190911-151456_Settings.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	4818222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190911-151721_AIDA64.jpg