FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Scratching Self-Maintainer Itch - PureNexus for Sailfish/Original Pixel and GNex

397 posts
Thanks Meter: 64

By PGHammer, Senior Member on 1st November 2019, 09:50 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I can *finally* scratch an itch that I had to ignore for years - the infamous "self-maintainer" itch. (Basically - building my own ROMs.)

Why is that? I actually have a phone (phones) that have a code base that I can build a ROM for without going broke.

While I can only build "old" ROMs, at least they let me get my feet wet.

In this case, it's the Pure Nexus Nougat series - for both the original Pixel (my Mom has one), and the old Galaxy Nexus that I used to own (it's still sitting on a shelf, in fact). While my Mom is, in fact, running Android 10 on hers, I may get one for myself as a straight testbed (I have a Pixel 3a that is my daily driver). Another thing that is attractive about the original Pixel is that refurbished Pixels are cheap (Mom paid barely $120USD for hers); they take nano-SIMs, and can run Android from 7 to 10 (yes - I said 10; Mom is running 10 on hers).

Another thing I found attractive about the Pure Nexus Project is that it was how I was introduced to the Pixel Launcher - it had everything I wanted in a launcher; to date, only one alternative has managed to equal it (and it's from the least likely of companies - Microsoft (Microsoft Launcher even does one thing Pixel Launcher has STILL not done; it supports non-smartphones - Microsoft Launcher can run on tablets).

I would LIKE to be able to build ROMs based on 9 or 10; the problem there is that it still requires too much CPU or RAM horsepower to go there at present. So I have to walk first; PureNexus is a ROM I'm famliar with (because I actually used to run it in my GNex days). I can actually get my feet wet - and on the cheap, too.

I would not mind company in keeping Pure Nexus for Marlin/Sailfish afloat - you can do it the same way I have, by firing up the Google-fu and digging up the GitHub for the Pure Nexus Project itself.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cheap android mobile, marlin, nougat, purenexus, sailfish

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)