Wink-Relay touchscreen runs android 4.3

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By fintina, Junior Member on 5th January 2016, 04:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th November 2016, 05:36 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Excellent. With the Fire HD 6 on sale right now, it'd be nice to flash it with the Wink Relay software to have as another controller. Possible?

18th November 2016, 09:49 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I wanted to be able to use my Wink Relay for more than just the relay app.
***Attempt at your own Risk***
I went to XDA and searched Wink Relay and found :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/gene...creen-t3286097
Found out how to access the stock Android 4.3 launcher:
Reset Wink Relay using reset button on bottom of device:

Hold top physical button :

Select Factory Reset :

Wait for the device to reset to Wink Relay app
Cover the sensor and press bottom physical button

Wait up to 60 seconds for the relays to click/flash 3 times:

You now have access to stock Launcher:

Notcie no navagation buttons:
a little hard to navagate like this

How I found the Wink Relay On-Screen Android Navigation Buttons
A Quick Web search found:
http://wink-internals.org
Where I noted the todo list included Navigation Buttons
https://brandtkrueger.wordpress.com/...requires-root/
Where I found what they are called and where the are.
https://techtuts.info/2014/07/edit-build-prop-using-adb
Where I found how to edit them
https://developer.android.com/studio....html#stopping
The tool I used to work magic
The steps I took:
I Use Linux so this will be slightly Different on Windows or MAC
Find out what the Wink Relay IP is
logged in to my router and looked it up
In my case 192.168.1.100
Install adb tools:
Code:
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot
Follow above steps
Connect to Wink Relay via adb:
Code:
adb connect 192.168.1.100
if that fails try
HTML Code:
adb connect 192.168.1.100:5554
Restart ADB as root:
HTML Code:
adb root
Remount /system as rw (read-write):
Code:
adb remount
Download*build.prop to your pc:
Code:
adb pull system/build.prop /home/(user)/Downloads/build.prop
Edit build.prop using your favorite editor:
Look for the line need the bottom
Code:
qemu.hw.mainkeys=1
Change it to
Code:
qemu.hw.mainkeys=0
this turns it on

or

Code:
# qemu.hw.mainkeys=1
this keeps the setting but makes it a comment

Save build.prop

Upload build.prop to your device:
Code:
adb push /home/(user)/Downloads/build.prop system/build.prop
Fix permissions:
Code:
adb shell chmod 644 /system/build.prop
Reboot your device:
Code:
adb reboot
You should now have Navigation buttons
If you want to access launcher
Start at the step of covering the sensor
Holding the bottom button for 60 seconds or until the relays flash 3 times
*More To Follow ...
The Following User Says Thank You to tdwhbp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tdwhbp Ad-Free
18th November 2016, 05:00 PM |#23  

More
Nice Work. Is there any way to root it?
21st November 2016, 08:04 PM |#24  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoblue

Nice Work. Is there any way to root it?

When you access the device as per instructions the device is root you can do with it as you like.

TDW
3rd January 2017, 06:51 PM |#25  

More
Need help unbricking my Wink relay
Just bricked my Wink Relay after rooting it with Kingroot. I've already tried the recovery menu several times but it just hangs in a white screen after factory reset. Anyone who can help me please. My wife already started making questions about the current state of the relay...
12th January 2017, 05:16 AM |#26  

More
Roof the newest version
I am trying to put the ring doorbell app but it calls to the system folder I think and gets denied permissions .... root and making the system folder open could fix this anyone able to root the newest version and mount
29th January 2017, 11:20 AM |#27  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by edcave

Just bricked my Wink Relay after rooting it with Kingroot. I've already tried the recovery menu several times but it just hangs in a white screen after factory reset. Anyone who can help me please. My wife already started making questions about the current state of the relay...

Me too,* any luck? Does anyone have a copy of the Edison.zip, it is telling me that the signature isn't valid whenever I try to restore it. *
24th February 2017, 06:19 PM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42words

Me too,* any luck? Does anyone have a copy of the Edison.zip, it is telling me that the signature isn't valid whenever I try to restore it. *

Having the same issue with mine as well! Have you managed to resolve your issue?
7th March 2017, 12:17 PM |#29  

More
Wink Relay bricked
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockhaty

Having the same issue with mine as well! Have you managed to resolve your issue?

My Wink relay is stuck in a bootloop. I can get into recovery but restoring the factory image doesn't work since the edison.zip signature verification fails. I've managed to get hold of another edison.zip and connect up via serial and am able to either go into U-Boot or let the relay go into it's bootloop during which I can access the file structure via terminal. However I do not know how to transfer the edison.zip file via serial so that I can re-flash it. I also tried using flash via ADB but my PC and Mac doesn't detect any devices using the USB-serial converter with adb devices command. Would appreciate any assistance as I cannot return it since I imported it to South Africa!
18th March 2017, 10:42 AM |#30  

More
Wink Relay stuck in bootloop: fix
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockhaty

My Wink relay is stuck in a bootloop. I can get into recovery but restoring the factory image doesn't work since the edison.zip signature verification fails. I've managed to get hold of another edison.zip and connect up via serial and am able to either go into U-Boot or let the relay go into it's bootloop during which I can access the file structure via terminal. However I do not know how to transfer the edison.zip file via serial so that I can re-flash it. I also tried using flash via ADB but my PC and Mac doesn't detect any devices using the USB-serial converter with adb devices command. Would appreciate any assistance as I cannot return it since I imported it to South Africa!

Special shout out to Mark_Wilson from the SmartThings forum for this fix!

- Connect up to the Wink Relay using the serial connection as described in the first post
- Open up your favourite terminal/Putty application and connect using the correct baud rate/parity/etc.
- Once you see the Wink Relay communicating, make sure you do not disrupt the initial boot and go in to U-boot as that could cause irreversible damage!
- Once you get to [email protected]_xxx:/ # , the following command should bring up the launcher

Code:
am start -n com.android.launcher/com.android.launcher2.Launcher
N.B.: As you type in the above command you may still be receiving data from the Wink and this may look like you've got other characters between your code but just continue to type in the code and hit enter. The command should execute correctly.

This worked for me - hope it helps you guys as well!
The Following User Says Thank You to lockhaty For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lockhaty Ad-Free
3rd April 2017, 10:53 PM |#31  

More
How would going into u-boot damage the device unless you went in there and really tried hard to mess things up?

Also, those who bricked their relays with kingroot, were you updated at all? I haven't done a single update but I've had no issues with kingroot at all even with uninstalling it and reinstalling. Switching it to SuperSU so I can use flashify but no loops here. Once I get a backup with all the changes I've made only then I'll give logging into the relay app a go. I'd skip it all together but I'd like a working proximity sensor and buttons for shortcuts.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)