By fintina, Junior Member on 5th January 2016, 04:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
21st December 2017, 08:14 PM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Please help
Quote:
Originally Posted by edcave

Just bricked my Wink Relay after rooting it with Kingroot. I've already tried the recovery menu several times but it just hangs in a white screen after factory reset. Anyone who can help me please. My wife already started making questions about the current state of the relay...

Hi,
Were you able to resolve this? I have the exact same problem.

26th December 2017, 09:58 PM |#42  

More
Solder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jun3280

Some great information here. My relay is stuck in a bootloop. I've tried putting it into recovery mode and tried factory restore of the edison.zip file, but it keeps hanging during the restore process. I've seen comments indicating success using ADB via serial cable - so I've gone ahead and purchased an Adafruit usb to serial cable. I haven't received it yet, but do you need to solder on the connections? Are there specific commands that need to execute to restore the device? Also, does the relay need to be connected to power while connected to the cable (in other words, do you put the cover plate back on and connect back to the wall plate)? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Hi,
Did you ever get a response to this?

I bricked my Wink Relay with Kingroot. I ordered the serial+usb cable and now wondering, does it have to be soldered or can I stick the wires on and use electrical tape ... . or other?
10th February 2018, 01:15 AM |#43  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
So I may be in the same boat. Stuck in bootloop. I did order adafruit cable, hooked it up and used putty. Connects fine but the boot itself is stuck in an infinite loop. It gets to a point where is asks to abort boot with a 3,2,1 countdown and if I cancel it drops to a shell that says: M6D-Edison>. There are a very limited number of commands at this point and it does not appear to have loaded and OS/firmware. I do have a fresh copy of Edison.zip but this appears to be the whole file system. I can’t see a way to reload the file system. Booting the relay in recovery mode and navigating the dirs they are all empty. It also throws a crc/mmc error during the initial boot. Maybe this one is truly bricked? Anyone have suggestions? Thx.
11th February 2018, 02:21 AM |#44  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Bootloops - not the cereal kind
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows6969

So I may be in the same boat. Stuck in bootloop. I did order adafruit cable, hooked it up and used putty. Connects fine but the boot itself is stuck in an infinite loop. It gets to a point where is asks to abort boot with a 3,2,1 countdown and if I cancel it drops to a shell that says: M6D-Edison>. There are a very limited number of commands at this point and it does not appear to have loaded and OS/firmware. I do have a fresh copy of Edison.zip but this appears to be the whole file system. I can’t see a way to reload the file system. Booting the relay in recovery mode and navigating the dirs they are all empty. It also throws a crc/mmc error during the initial boot. Maybe this one is truly bricked? Anyone have suggestions? Thx.

I find myself dealing with the same situation. I've been looking for a copy of Edison.zip, but the site previously mentioned is offline. Can you point me to where you found yours? I'll be glad to share whatever info I come up with in trying to rebuild this thing!

Thanks -
12th February 2018, 09:16 PM |#45  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzarkos

I find myself dealing with the same situation. I've been looking for a copy of Edison.zip, but the site previously mentioned is offline. Can you point me to where you found yours? I'll be glad to share whatever info I come up with in trying to rebuild this thing!

Thanks -

PM’d you the link, hopefully we can get them running again.
16th February 2018, 06:06 AM |#46  

More
Quote:

Hi Shadows. Would you be able to PM that to me as well? I've in the same situation with a KingRoot'd device in a boot loop!
17th February 2018, 12:44 AM |#47  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Loop no more!
C
Quote:

Thanks Shadows6969! This was an interesting journey and my advice to others new to Wink Relay recovery is just to keep going. Sooner or later the pieces fall together. For those that have a problem with /device/edison.zip errors, here's what I did:

Unscrew the back cover off the Relay

Soldered in a four pin right angle header to the PCB. (from the back this would be the lower right corner)
Used a Piriform serial TTL to USB adapter. The ends plug right into the pins on the board for easy connect/disconnect.

Leave the bottom pin open for now. At some point you may need to connect the red wire (+) for power. If used, this will power the Relay from your USB port but won't power wifi.

Next is the white wire (tx), then the green wire (rx), and the black wire(-) should be on top.

Carefully put the back cover on (with the wires connected, coming out of the right side) but only press down on the left side enough to make a good connection. (if you press too hard, the right side could pinch/cut the wires)

I used a cut off power cable and wire nuts to connect it to the Relay power supply. Much easier than fussing with it mounted.

Connect the Relay power supply to the far left position (don't plug it into the wall outlet yet)

Plug USB into computer you'll be using. Driver should self install (at least it did for me on Windows 10)

Download a copy of the ADB program for Android and unpack into a folder

Download "KingoRoot.apk" and "KingoUser.apk" and copy to same folder as ADB (Note - I've come to believe that "KingoUser.apk" for Super User access was not needed. I've included it here since it was part of the process I used.)

Download "edison.zip" and copy to same folder as ADB

Download and install "PUTTY" terminal program

Run PUTTY program. Change settings to use serial (mine was COM8, yours may be different) with 115200 baud.

Plug in Relay power supply

In a moment you should see a lot of text display in the PUTTY screen. Let this boot up process run it's course. It will frequently pause and start up again. Just wait a minute or two for it to settle down.

In the PUTTY screen, enter :
am start -n com.android.launcher/com.android.launcher2.Launcher
This will bring up a system screen on the Relay. Press the little squares icon at the bottom of the screen. This will bring up Settings.

Now go into Wifi and set up to your home network. Back in PUTTY there is an Android command that will give you the IP address, but you should see the number show up in the scrolling messages. If not it may be easier to just go to your router and look it up.

Go to the ADP folder on your computer and enter ADB Connect yourIPaddress (my command was "ADB Connect 192.168.1.210") If all goes well you should get a "connected" message back with the IP and port number (5555).
(at this point PUTTY is no longer needed)

Enter ADP push KingoRoot.apk /data/local/tmp
ADP push KingoUser.apk /data/local/tmp (If you're using this)

Now enter "ADP shell" to open up the shell environment

Enter "su"
Enter "cd /data/local/tmp"
Enter "adb install KingoRoot.apk" (look at the PUTTY screen - you should see quite a few messages scroll by as it's installed)
If you're loading the superuser APK enter "adb install KingoUser.apk" (again, I believe this is unnecessary, but it doesn't hurt anything to install it)

Now go to the Relay and find the APPS screen. You should see two new icons - one for KingRoot and the other for KingUser (if installed). Run KingRoot. You'll see a circle show progress and a percentage number. Mine stuck at 90%, so I ended up going through the whole start up process again to get back to where I could run it again. Second time went through fine. You'll get a message saying root was successful.

Note - in all the rebooting, it should remember your WIFI info, so using PUTTY may not be required.

NOW you can get to the heart of the matter. Close out any ADB session you have. (possibly not necessary, but it's what I did).
Enter "ADB connect yourIPaddress" (you should see the connection message or one saying you're already connected)
Enter "ADB root"
Enter "ADB mount -o remount,rw /device"
Enter "ADB push edison.zip /device" (this takes a bit, but you see a progress indicator)

Press the reset button and hold the top switch in to bring up the system menu. I used the lower switch to select the last option (reset to factory image) and let it run. Instead of getting that "unable to verify edison.zip" error, you should see it load back to the factory default and go through the normal prompts.

Forgive me if there are typos or omissions, but as you can see it is a journey with many steps. It took hours of web searching and relying on the kindness of strangers to get to this point! Feel free to update with what worked for you.

Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mzarkos For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mzarkos Ad-Free
17th February 2018, 04:18 AM |#48  

More
Thanks, mzarkos. That was a great help, although my recovery ended up being a little different.

In my case, I was getting a boot loop with the occasional hang, but with no ADB ability. Here's what I did:

I soldered and connected the serial cable per fintina's instructions (no red wire) and was able to see console output in PuTTY.

I couldn't do anything during the boot loops, but after 3 reboots, it locked up, and to my surprise, the console had a root prompt. I was able to get a launcher using the 'am start -n com.android.launcher/com.android.launcher2.Launcher' command, but I only had Downloads, Settings, Wink and Wink Updater present. No browser.

I connected it to my WiFi network and was able to ping it from my PC and ping my PC from the serial console, but ADB wouldn't connect for anything. No idea why--I just kept getting "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. (10061)".

Since I had console access, fintina's hint of wget ended up working great and got me out of a lot of trouble. I was able to copy KingoRoot.apk and KingoUser.apk to /data/local/tmp, and I found you can use 'pm install [pathtoAPK]' to install from the console. I suspect this has to do with permissions, but I was unable to install the apks from that directory, so I ended up moving the 2 apks to /sdcard. 'pm install /sdcard/KingoRoot.apk' and 'pm install /sdcard/KingoUser.apk' worked (full path required).

I kicked it back to the home screen with the launcher command again, and found Kingo Root available. I launched it and let it do its thing, and it also got stuck at 90%. I issued a reboot command from the console, got to the home screen and launched it again, but for me it said root was already established, showing me all of its options. On console, I tried 'su', and it worked! (before it would just say 'untracked pid exited') So from here, I tried to work on getting edison.zip replaced (PM me if you need a copy, anyone).

I tried wget in /device, but that partition is mounted read-only and threw an error. I ran
Code:
mount -o remount,rw '/device'
, and it told me that it mounted successfully, but the filesystem had errors and should be checked with e2fsck! I DID try that, but the command wasn't available, so I just proceeded anyway. The filesystem is small, so you won't have room for a backup--I deleted the existing edison.zip file and downloaded the new file into /device.

After, I ran another reboot command, holding the top relay button, and selecting the last option from recovery. It worked! It did the usual Android recovery thing and booted on its own into the Wink registration/login app. Dropped it to the home screen and I now have the following: Browser, Calculator, Clock, Downloads, EdisonPlayer, Gallery, Kingo Root, Music, Search, Settings, Sound Recorder and Wink Relay!

I can also now connect via ADB! Thank you all for your help, there's a lot of great stuff here. Now I'm going to try and make it useful for my OpenHAB setup!
The Following User Says Thank You to tacoman3148 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tacoman3148 Ad-Free
20th July 2018, 04:40 PM |#49  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Relay reboots after loading Wink Launcher
Hi, I have a slightly different issue with my relay, mine actually boots up and launches the replacement launcher I installed, but then the original Wink launcher takes over and it freezes, it then reboots it's own after a few seconds or minutes.

I have the relay connected to my computer via the USB to serial method and can see the output code on putty, but not sure what I can do to fix this situation.

I attached a screenshot of what I see on putty right before the relay reboots itself, any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CapturePutty.PNG
Views:	88
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	4554153  
13th August 2018, 03:51 AM |#50  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Anybody have edison.zip? I need it.
24th October 2018, 09:11 PM |#51  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSurf

Anybody have edison.zip? I need it.

Likewise. Anyone with a copy of edison.zip out there? I received a device that won't boot and I'd rather fix it than return it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)