FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Alternative SMS apps stop working, only native SMS app stay alive, why?

43 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By Daxorp, Member on 14th January 2020, 05:58 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

I don't have any problems to receive SMS with the native application.
With other apps (QKSMS, Chomp, etc), it works for a moment, but after the night for example the SMS do not arrive anymore.

If I launch the app, it works for a few hours, but the previously sent SMS are definitely lost.

It's like if the system kills the SMS service as long as it's not the native one. But I thought this was Android to manage SMS reception, not the apps... I find nothing on the Web. Do you have any idea of a solution?

(I don't think it's specific but this happens on my tablet Lenovo Tab4 with Android 7.1 rooted.)
15th January 2020, 01:11 AM |#2  
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 2,660

More
Try removing the SMS app you are using from battery optimization. Settings -> battery -> 3-dot menu (I think that's the location on 7).
15th January 2020, 09:02 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Thanks, but already tried. I guess these apps are not designed to stay in memory, just receveid a notification from the system.
I don't understand why it seems that I'm the only one with this problem!
15th January 2020, 01:30 PM |#4  
Forum Moderator

More
Open the problem app, then go home. Open the recents menu, does the app have a padlock icon? If so, lock it. That should prevent the OS from killing the app.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
15th January 2020, 06:51 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
It seems to work. But I still may can close the app by inadvertence, this is not a real solution. Why am I the only one who must do this? :'(
Thanks for your time, I think it's that or using the default app, no other choice.
15th January 2020, 07:03 PM |#6  
Forum Moderator

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxorp

It seems to work. But I still may can close the app by inadvertence, this is not a real solution. Why am I the only one who must do this? :'(
Thanks for your time, I think it's that or using the default app, no other choice.

It's all about battery life. The aggressive methods of killing apps varies from manufacturer and device. Huawei, Samsung, OnePlus and Xiaomi are extremely aggressive at killing off apps. Android 9/10 is more aggressive than 7.
15th January 2020, 08:53 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
OK, it may be Lenovo the guilty.
I write too fast. It does not work also by locking the app in the recents menu.
So I'm forced to use native application.
Thanks again

PS: I will try by putting a widget of QKSMS, it seems to help...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
sms

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)