FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Does the carrier affect GPS performance?

437 posts
Thanks Meter: 54

By MrTooPhone, Senior Member on 10th July 2019, 04:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I was with several AT&T MVNOs using my Moto G3 (rooted stock). No issue. I switched to a T-Mobile MVNO. Later I noticed my GPS acting up. The GPS just couldn’t come up with a solution even whith good signal from several sattelites. Even when there was a solution, the error was between 40-100 meters. I thought there was no way changing carrier would make a difference. I almost trashed the phone for a new one. I switched back to the AT&T MVNO because of cell coverage issues (not GPS issues). But I noticed my GPS is working just fine once again. Does this make sense to anyone? How could the carrier make a difference?

11th July 2019, 02:24 PM |#2  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTooPhone

So I was with several AT&T MVNOs using my Moto G3 (rooted stock). No issue. I switched to a T-Mobile MVNO. Later I noticed my GPS acting up. The GPS just couldn’t come up with a solution even whith good signal from several sattelites. Even when there was a solution, the error was between 40-100 meters. I thought there was no way changing carrier would make a difference. I almost trashed the phone for a new one. I switched back to the AT&T MVNO because of cell coverage issues (not GPS issues). But I noticed my GPS is working just fine once again. Does this make sense to anyone? How could the carrier make a difference?

Hi mate,

I am not 100% sure, but I believe GPS works without a carrier so I don't believe it would be affected by the carrier.

Have you tried looking for some firmware updates?
11th July 2019, 04:26 PM |#3  
Flag Garden City, MI
Thanks Meter: 94

More
Most phones use cell towers and GPS for location unless you go into Location settings and change it to use only GPS, so if you don't have a good cell signal your location accuracy might be affected by that.
11th July 2019, 04:47 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telyx

Most phones use cell towers and GPS for location unless you go into Location settings and change it to use only GPS, so if you don't have a good cell signal your location accuracy might be affected by that.

I was aware of that (strong signal in both cases), and of the AGPS which I routinely update. I can't figure it out. I even restored an old ROM when I knew the GPS was good, but the performance remained poor. And it was not a fluke as now with the AT&T MVNO the GPS remains good.
11th July 2019, 04:49 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis95

Hi mate,

I am not 100% sure, but I believe GPS works without a carrier so I don't believe it would be affected by the carrier.

Have you tried looking for some firmware updates?

I thought they were independent as well. I even tried location to Device Only, same results.. I am baffled,
11th July 2019, 05:01 PM |#6  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTooPhone

I thought they were independent as well. I even tried location to Device Only, same results.. I am baffled,

It's annoying mate, must be quite frustrating, maybe take it in to your local phone store see what they say. Sorry I coudlnt help much!
11th July 2019, 06:05 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis95

It's annoying mate, must be quite frustrating, maybe take it in to your local phone store see what they say. Sorry I coudlnt help much!

Not looking for help. Just trying to understand. The good part is I am using the service where I get good GPS. Thanks for jumping in.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)