Thanks Meter: 6,773

By sd_shadow, Recognized Contributor on 27th November 2019, 09:53 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th December 2019, 10:39 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
cover display firmware update error
Hello All,
Just received my communicator and during my cover firmware update there was an interruption when I attached the charger to the device. Received flashing error message then tried recommended steps on support site to no avail. Does anyone know where I can get the firmware for a manual flash? My cover display is now not working and won't communicate with the device. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Disregard. Apparently it can take up to 10 times for the flash to actually work.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNakMuay For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift OldNakMuay Ad-Free
15th December 2019, 03:41 PM |#13  

More
new recovery
Does anyone have an idea when they are going to update the recovery so we can partition the drive for dual boot?
23rd December 2019, 10:36 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Anyone know how to make the Esc key behave normally in Android? I never had issues with using the Hacker's Keyboard escape key in Termux, but on my Cosmo pressing the escape key seems to work like Android's back button, which minimizes Termux. I just want to use it like a normal escape key. I currently have vim set to use tilde to go to command mode, but that's a janky solution for a number of reasons and it means that I have to use that setup on any other box I'm accessing a given remote server from. I've looked in Settings->Cosmo Settings and in the Planet Keyboard app, and didn't see it either place. Any help would be much appreciated.
24th December 2019, 03:27 PM |#15  

More
Hi kineyDE,

Do you know which music player apps work with the music controls on the cover display front screen? I can't seem to get the cover display to respond to any of my inputs for any music player I have installed (music, FM, or video app).

VWrestle97
29th December 2019, 07:56 PM |#16  
Flag Hillywood

More
just installed a googlecam port. pictures are acceptable.. not as good as my old iphone 8plus, but good enough
10th January 2020, 01:13 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Post this needed it's own thread:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...-post-t4032525

"I have a Cosmo Communicator that has been packed backed into it's box. I feel there are glaring security holes outlined in this article by Ninji:
https://wuffs.org/blog/pulling-apart...emfota-updater

With that said, I have not seen much discussion about the Cosmo Communicator here on XDA. I currently have a useless Cosmo because there is currently no Sailfish available for it, and it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon. If there is a developer here that would like to work on it, I would be willing to loan out my device for that purpose.

Is there anyone else here who has a Cosmo?"

If a moderator want's to delete one or the other or let the separate one exist, i'm not worried. I just want to get this message out to the community.
11th January 2020, 10:53 AM |#18  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhaides

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...-post-t4032525

"I have a Cosmo Communicator that has been packed backed into it's box. I feel there are glaring security holes outlined in this article by Ninji:

With that said, I have not seen much discussion about the Cosmo Communicator here on XDA. I currently have a useless Cosmo because there is currently no Sailfish available for it, and it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon. If there is a developer here that would like to work on it, I would be willing to loan out my device for that purpose.

Is there anyone else here who has a Cosmo?"

If a moderator want's to delete one or the other or let the separate one exist, i'm not worried. I just want to get this message out to the community.

Hi as stated by Ninji disabling the updater should secure the device (unless already compromised).
Code:
adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.dtinfo.tools
And once there is an update fingers crossed that there will be no new backdoor and you can turn it on again.
Code:
adb shell pm enable com.dtinfo.tools
So far I am very happy with my cosmo, but I am missing working volume buttons when it is closed.
11th January 2020, 12:11 PM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Originally Posted by lobertDE

Hi as stated by Ninji disabling the updater should secure the device (unless already compromised).

Code:
adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.dtinfo.tools
And once there is an update fingers crossed that there will be no new backdoor and you can turn it on again.
Code:
adb shell pm enable com.dtinfo.tools
So far I am very happy with my cosmo, but I am missing working volume buttons when it is closed.

As stated by Ninji in the article:
"Disabling the SystemFota package should stop the device from communicating with Digitime and running the worker, but the backdoor service baked into Android is still there, which allows any app to execute a variety of privileged actions. I assembled a proof-of-concept with it which was able to dump the Android accounts database (including auth tokens) without using Android permissions or requiring user input, from a standard app at API level 28."

You should read the ENTIRE article before commenting.
12th January 2020, 04:53 AM |#20  

More
A software bug or hardware issue?
The power indicator shows charging while not connected to the charger. Don't know its a software bug or hardware issue?
Battery drains very fast even not using.
12th January 2020, 06:21 PM |#21  

More
Wouldn't loading linux as the only OS remove all the baked in security issues in the unit? The only reason I want to buy one is to run linux on a pocket-able machine. Id just go with something like the GPD pocket but last one I had bricked and it doesn't have a backlit keyboard for low light situations.
The Following User Says Thank You to 5ph1nx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 5ph1nx Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cosmo communicator, planet computer

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)