[Help Thread][Cosmo Communicator](2019) Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

15,197 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,773

By sd_shadow, Recognized Contributor on 27th November 2019, 09:53 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th January 2020, 06:21 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Wouldn't loading linux as the only OS remove all the baked in security issues in the unit? The only reason I want to buy one is to run linux on a pocket-able machine. Id just go with something like the GPD pocket but last one I had bricked and it doesn't have a backlit keyboard for low light situations.
The Following User Says Thank You to 5ph1nx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 5ph1nx Ad-Free
15th January 2020, 06:25 PM |#22  
From email
Quote:

Cosmo Firmware Update

We are currently testing a new Android and Cover Display (CoDi) firmware update that should reach your device in the next few days.

Among bug-fixes and new functionalities we are releasing the multi-boot menu/partitioner that we introduced a few weeks ago and some security enhancements.

The flash memory partitioning tool, together with the multi-boot menu will allow you to repartition your Cosmo's flash memory and will give you the option to install other operating systems alongside Android.

Linux Update

The Linux firmware is not ready yet, but the Linux community is working hard on it and we hope to see its release very soon.

Following the next Android firmware update release, we will publish it on our website for you to download. The next Android firmware update will prepare your Cosmo Communicator for multi-boot multi-OS operation. So, as soon as the first Linux firmware Cosmo is released, you will be able to install Linux on your device.

Security Update

On the security side, some of you have contacted us regarding the Android firmware update application present on the Cosmo Communicator.

A software developer has recently discovered a security vulnerability in the firmware update software used in the Cosmo Communicator that can be potentially exploited by a malicious Android application running on the Cosmo communicator. The full technical post is available here: https://wuffs.org/blog/digitime-tech-fota-backd...

In addition, there have been a few discussions regarding user privacy and the collection of information on Planet Computers devices. First of all, let us assure you that Planet Computers has never collected information from Gemini PDA or Cosmo Communicator devices. This is not what Planet Computers is about.

Cosmo Communicator uses a custom firmware update software for Android written by a company called Digitime. Our manufacturing partner in China has worked many years with Digitime - on the Gemini PDA, on the Cosmo Communicator and also on many other products. They trust Digitime, their software update mechanism and never had problems with them.

However, the vulnerability brought to light has concerned us and we immediately asked for clarification. The explanation given to us from the vendor is that the code containing the security issue was designed to hot-fix the software update application itself in case of serious bugs.

Irrespective of this explanation, we asked Digitime to remove the vulnerable code and a new release of the software update application has been delivered to Planet, where the vulnerable code has been completely removed. We have now tested the new firmware update app and it will be part of the next Cosmo Android firmware update.

We would like to thank Ash Wolf not just for contacting us about the discovered vulnerabilities, but also for helping us confirm that identified security risks on the Cosmo are now solved in the coming Cosmo Android firmware update that is currently under test.

More from us in the next few days....

Best regards,

Team Cosmo

18th January 2020, 06:10 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Firmware upgrade fails after rooting.
@kineyDE I followed your rooting instructions and it worked great. Thanks.
One thing I didn't expect it that it did factory reset (maybe worth updating your post).
Anyway now, a few days later a new firmware was released, and the upgrade fails.
I'm guessing it's because of the OEM unlocking or the rooting itself (since I did that the device shows some warning message on startup).
Anyone knows how to fix this? or temporarily undo all the effects of this rooting method so that I can upgrade?
18th January 2020, 07:39 PM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
@OranAgra: actually I have the update issues. Haven't found time to look into it. I will probably hack around when official Linux support is released.
I will add the info about the factory reset, thanks. I didn't really notice myself as I always root my phones before using them productively.
20th January 2020, 01:33 AM |#25  
From email
Quote:

Cosmo Firmware update

We have released the latest Cosmo Android firmware update (V19) yesterday morning. This update includes the fix for the identified security vulnerability in the Firmware Update App and also readies the device firmware for multi OS boot. There are also minor updates to system apps and modules.

The next CoDi firmware update will be released tomorrow (Monday). This CoDi firmware update improves some cover display stability issues and also introduces cover display Navigation Mode, when Google Maps navigation is used. The updated Cover Display Assiastant app will notify you when the CoDi firmware update becomes available.

More from us next week!

Best regards,

Team Cosmo

Sent from my mata using XDA Labs
28th January 2020, 04:49 PM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ph1nx

Wouldn't loading linux as the only OS remove all the baked in security issues in the unit? The only reason I want to buy one is to run linux on a pocket-able machine. Id just go with something like the GPD pocket but last one I had bricked and it doesn't have a backlit keyboard for low light situations.

I too have had a GPD Pocket. My first one only lasted a month, but they replaced it under warranty. second one lasted until I got a GPD MicroPC. I'm not sure which one I like more, but they are both great computers. What they lack is a cellular modem (ala Sim Tray) and a fingerprint scanner. Either one of those could be added via USB.

However, since we're not talking about computers, the Cosmo scratches an itch, but nobody is doing any development for it. You're talking about around 4500 end users. Of which, how many come here?

My Cosmo is sitting in the box. I will look at getting an FXTec Pro1 soon.
Android is fine, I just don't need backdoors to my personal info that anyone can utilize.
29th January 2020, 09:13 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhaides

I too have had a GPD Pocket. My first one only lasted a month, but they replaced it under warranty. second one lasted until I got a GPD MicroPC. I'm not sure which one I like more, but they are both great computers. What they lack is a cellular modem (ala Sim Tray) and a fingerprint scanner. Either one of those could be added via USB.

However, since we're not talking about computers, the Cosmo scratches an itch, but nobody is doing any development for it. You're talking about around 4500 end users. Of which, how many come here?

My Cosmo is sitting in the box. I will look at getting an FXTec Pro1 soon.
Android is fine, I just don't need backdoors to my personal info that anyone can utilize.

I was thinking of getting the micropc due to the ports, but the issue I have is its literal pocket-ability. While the Gpd pocket did fit in a cargo pocket it was snug and that was fine, but I need something I can literally stick on a pocket and use easily on the go. The micropc looks great but the keyboard style makes me think more along the lines of phone than pocket pc. The Cosmo really does scratch an itch but the price and known vulnerabilities and small market do factor in. The FXtec pro1 would be an option if you could load linux natively and might even beat out the cosmo if it did. But that click laptop like board on the cosmo reminds me of the Psion I never could afford.

As for radios sure that is a major factor, but as long as it has decent Wi-Fi I could use my unlimited phone albeit draining 2 devices. Either way this segment for me will not replace my BlackBerry key2 le rather allow me full computing where my surfacebook really can't go easily.
29th January 2020, 11:04 PM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ph1nx

I was thinking of getting the micropc due to the ports, but the issue I have is its literal pocket-ability. While the Gpd pocket did fit in a cargo pocket it was snug and that was fine, but I need something I can literally stick on a pocket and use easily on the go. The micropc looks great but the keyboard style makes me think more along the lines of phone than pocket pc. The Cosmo really does scratch an itch but the price and known vulnerabilities and small market do factor in. The FXtec pro1 would be an option if you could load linux natively and might even beat out the cosmo if it did. But that click laptop like board on the cosmo reminds me of the Psion I never could afford.

As for radios sure that is a major factor, but as long as it has decent Wi-Fi I could use my unlimited phone albeit draining 2 devices. Either way this segment for me will not replace my BlackBerry key2 le rather allow me full computing where my surfacebook really can't go easily.

Keyboard on the MicroPC is a bit cramped, but the touchpad is very nice and works holding it in two hand quite well. It also is ABS plastic instead of metal, like the Pocket. The original Pocket banged on my leg as I walked and left my leg sore. The MicroPC is softer and more comfortable to carry in the pocket.

It still lacks the above mentioned missing differences between either GPD and a Cosmo or FXtec.

I want Sailfish!
29th January 2020, 11:30 PM |#29  
From email update
Quote:

Dear Cosmo backers!

Here are the latest news from the Cosmo team...

Over-the-air Android firmware Update

We are aware that some of you have issues upgrading the Android firmware of their Cosmo Communicator. This is most likely due to a misconfiguration of the software update server, which will be dealt with top priority early next week when people will come back to work from their Chinese New Year holidays. Unfortunately, until then this issue is completely outside our control.

As mentioned in the previous update, we are also working on a new system to replace the current software update mechanism with an in-house solution, which will give us more flexibility.

A first software update prototype has already been built and in the next few weeks we will shape it into a full-feature product. When ready, the new update mechanism will be released as a normal FOTA update, so the update will be transparent to users.

In the meantime, please do not attempt to update the firmware using any other method as the update files may not be compatible with your Cosmo OS version and may cause your Cosmo not to boot or function properly.

Similarly, please do not attempt to use Gemini Linux or other OS images on your Cosmo.

Sent from my mata using XDA Labs
3rd February 2020, 08:47 PM |#30  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Considering getting one. Have one question about LTE bands
The website at https://store.planetcom.co.uk/produc...o-communicator lists one in stock as "US Keyboard with UK Plug" and then it lists a couple of US versions for pre-order, a "T-Mobile, ATT, Sprint" version, and a "Verizon, ATT, Sprint" version

Below that there is are a few LTE band lists labeled LTE FDD (Japan), LTE FDD (EUSA), and LTE (VE).

Is it safe to assume that the the (EUSA) version is the T-Mobile, ATT, Sprint version and the VE version is Verizon?

I'm a USA ATT user and don't really care about the charger if that is the only difference between the in stock version and the pre-order T-Mobile, ATT, Sprint version.

Anybody know for sure / know where I can find more detailed info about the pre-order version?
Thanks,
David
4th February 2020, 05:32 PM |#31  
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 168

More
Hi guys! I need help! Suddenly my cover display doesn't work. I tried to do an update it failed and then it said cover display connection error. I did a factory reset still it doesn't help. Cover display is off. Please please need help
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cosmo communicator, planet computer

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)