[Help Thread][Cosmo Communicator](2019) Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

15,211 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,782

By sd_shadow, Recognized Contributor on 27th November 2019, 09:53 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th February 2020, 10:43 PM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Unfortunately, in my case Shift/Fn/R does nothing whatsoever, no matter what app or position of the unit
13th February 2020, 10:22 AM |#42  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mks1967

Having my Cosmo since feb 2 and had all recent updates going in almost without problems, now when real world (mine obviously) test has come, I must say that unfortunately, for me, the units does not perform. Two main issues here, one is the screen rotation; most apps I must use (no alternative) work only in portrait and the OS struggles to manage that, even after using alternative methods to the ridiculous "force rotation" option, like tasker and rotate pro, onece the app is in portrait the screen refresh and jumps are just unacceptable. The second issue is again related with the lack of usability in portrait, when you spend 100% of your commute time driving and have to attend/check emails and messages (I know, in an ideal world things are different) and switch quickly between apps and maps and calls, things you seemingly do with most last generation devices, the Cosmo becomes simply useless. Unfortunately, with my requirements, which happen to be shared by all people I know, the unit will either go back to his box and into my personal museum of mobile devices or on sale. A word for Planet guys: the idea and concept is excellent, specially for those who have a certain age and buying capacity, but precisely those people don't live in the ideal world you designed the unit for, but in one that requires certain basic functionalities that you either missed or intentionally removed or prevented.

When you say you have tried Tasker - did you create a profiles / tasks to rotate automatically based on the orientation? Someone on the FB group gave me the idea to try that and it works really well. Basically, it uses the orientation sensor to rotate the screen as soon as you rotate the device to portrait mode. IT means it rotates automatically - like it should have from the start (IMHO).
13th February 2020, 04:11 PM |#43  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookme

When you say you have tried Tasker - did you create a profiles / tasks to rotate automatically based on the orientation? Someone on the FB group gave me the idea to try that and it works really well. Basically, it uses the orientation sensor to rotate the screen as soon as you rotate the device to portrait mode. IT means it rotates automatically - like it should have from the start (IMHO).

Hi Spookme, thanks for tip; I've tried tasker but had to download the free old version because for some reason I can't access the last version from UAE on the Cosmo (I can on my BBk2 and S/Note8 but have no idea on how to extract the apk from any of those so I can load it to cosmo); with an older version, the issue was that it does not show the "force rotate" parameter so tried some other options without any results. I've tried other apps that in theory do just that, automatic rotation based on sensor position, but also with no result, so I deleted them (old tasker and some rotation apps I've tried).

To make things more interesting, this morning the task bar disappeared, you press the "Planet' button and nothing whatsoever happens. In addition, on the weird side of things, the black/dark theme is selected, but some apps, including setup, decided it's no their cup of tea.

I'm under the impression that the OS needs lots and lots of polishing and planet guys did not have a very clear idea of what they wanted to do, if either a proper smartphone that could properly serve heavy keyboard users at the right time or an old school pda that could make some calls and a bit of browsing only for pages that are desktop oriented, like back in the day with the Nokia Communicator series and others alike. Much I'm afraid, they opted for the old school pda, given this is basically a gemini with a bit more powerful modem to make calls, which resides behind the external screen.

Anyway, still not fully given up on the thing, and any ideas on how to make this work as a proper modern standard smartphone with "utility scale" keyboard for those limited but crucial moments when is needed, will be extremely welcome !

Many Thanks !
14th February 2020, 02:20 AM |#44  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Ah - well if you do manage to get a recent version of Tasker, I can show you how to get rotation working. The Cosmo does require a bit of tweaking. For me that's a good thing - I like it. But I can see how it would be frustrating for those who just want a smart phone that "works".
16th February 2020, 06:12 PM |#45  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Standard Android re-install
Does anyone have an installable image of the standard (unrooted) Android? I managed to trash mine, though TWRP, Linux and rooted Android boot fine.
17th February 2020, 08:59 PM |#46  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
To set apps to be displayed in landscape or portrait, this apps works perfectly:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...olpro&hl=en_GB
22nd February 2020, 11:53 PM |#47  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
How does Cosmo compare with Motorola WebTop and LapDock combo which is almost similar to what this Cosmo is trying to achieve and Canonical dropped out half way from Ubuntu phone? No body seems to have given much though to previous pioneers, only much hyped thing is a very bygone era Psion keyboard but recent past is being deliberately ignored. Those models are much worth to be highlighted and have much weight to compare Cosmo to.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cosmo communicator, planet computer

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)