FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How can I install a custom rom without a custom recovery? Sony Xperia M

17 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By skeleton2323, Junior Member on 11th January 2020, 07:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I want to install TWRP really bad but I can't do that without a custom ROM.

And I can't install a custom ROM without a custom recovery!

So please tell me how I can install a custom rom without a custom recovery...

Model: C1905
12th January 2020, 01:31 AM |#2  
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeleton2323

I want to install TWRP really bad but I can't do that without a custom ROM.

And I can't install a custom ROM without a custom recovery!

So please tell me how I can install a custom rom without a custom recovery...

Model: C1905

You can't install custom ROMs without custom recovery.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
13th January 2020, 05:57 PM |#3  
skeleton2323's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

You can't install custom ROMs without custom recovery.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk


Then why some doof websites claim that I can use fastboot to flash ROMS?
13th January 2020, 07:11 PM |#4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeleton2323

Then why some doof websites claim that I can use fastboot to flash ROMS?

Give me a link to an example

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
16th January 2020, 12:35 PM |#5  
skeleton2323's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

Give me a link to an example

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

https://clickitornot.com/install-twr...peria-m-nicki/

(can't find the 2nd website anymore)

Sent from my Sony Xperia M using Tapatalk
16th January 2020, 01:34 PM |#6  
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeleton2323

https://clickitornot.com/install-twr...peria-m-nicki/



(can't find the 2nd website anymore)



Sent from my Sony Xperia M using Tapatalk

That link doesn't have anything to do with flashing custom ROMs via fastboot.

That link discusses installing TWRP and then using TWRP to install the ROM.


Let me clarify my previous response. Custom ROM .zip files can't be flashed via fastboot but you can the system.img from the ROM zip and then use fastboot to flash the system.img.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
16th January 2020, 06:39 PM |#7  
skeleton2323's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Prompt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

That link doesn't have anything to do with flashing custom ROMs via fastboot.

That link discusses installing TWRP and then using TWRP to install the ROM.


Let me clarify my previous response. Custom ROM .zip files can't be flashed via fastboot but you can the system.img from the ROM zip and then use fastboot to flash the system.img.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Alright, but my main question is how can I install TWRP on a Sony Xperia M C1905? I've searched the guy's post that says that I can't flash it via fastboot or flashtool but I don't get it how will I get TWRP to run using the FOTAkernel method without any pre-installed recovery.

I've not tested it with the official TWRP app yet but I have tried it with rashr with no success.


Oh, and if I use fastboot to flash "system.img" from a ROM, will the device run with the new firmware or do I need to do extra things besides that?

(I have an unlocked bootloader, android version 4.3 and rooted firmware.)
16th January 2020, 07:02 PM |#8  
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeleton2323

Alright, but my main question is how can I install TWRP on a Sony Xperia M C1905? I've searched the guy's post that says that I can't flash it via fastboot or flashtool but I don't get it how will I get TWRP to run using the FOTAkernel method without any pre-installed recovery.



I've not tested it with the official TWRP app yet but I have tried it with rashr with no success.





Oh, and if I use fastboot to flash "system.img" from a ROM, will the device run with the new firmware or do I need to do extra things besides that?



(I have an unlocked bootloader, android version 4.3 and rooted firmware.)

If the device is already rooted, you should be able to flash a copy of TWRP for your device via the Flashify app.

Things weren't that complicated in the days of 4.3, you shouldn't have any special conditions to worry with.
Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
16th January 2020, 07:04 PM |#9  
skeleton2323's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

If the device is already rooted, you should be able to flash a copy of TWRP for your device via the Flashify app.

Things weren't that complicated in the days of 4.3, you shouldn't have any special conditions to worry with.
Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

I've tested flashify and when I pressed on flash TWRP, it did nothing.
I tried to select the file manually and it told me that I'm not able to flash recoveries because it could not find the recovery partition.


One more question: that guy said that I'm not able to flash TWRP using the stock ROM.
How is it going to work?
16th January 2020, 08:41 PM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeleton2323

I've tested flashify and when I pressed on flash TWRP, it did nothing.
I tried to select the file manually and it told me that I'm not able to flash recoveries because it could not find the recovery partition.


One more question: that guy said that I'm not able to flash TWRP using the stock ROM.
How is it going to work?

Here is the TWRP page for your device here at XDA. Read the first three posts, it explains things.

https://twrp.me/sony/sonyxperiam.html

Here is the Xperia M page at the official TWRP website.

https://twrp.me/sony/sonyxperiam.html


Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Droidriven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidriven Ad-Free
17th January 2020, 02:30 PM |#11  
skeleton2323's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Info 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

Here is the TWRP page for your device here at XDA. Read the first three posts, it explains things.

https://twrp.me/sony/sonyxperiam.html

Here is the Xperia M page at the official TWRP website.

https://twrp.me/sony/sonyxperiam.html




Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk


I tried doing it within the app but it said that an error occurred.
Is it because I've installed on internal storage?

I've also tried it with rashr and it said that it completed but the phone rebooted back to normal.

Also, should I flash TWRP to the BOOT partition?

EDIT
Thank you for helping me! I flashed TWRP on the boot partition and it worked!

I didn't care about the firmware because I was going to flash a new one anyway.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes