FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

HOW-TO Unlock, Root and get Xposed for Onn 8" Walmart tablet

89 posts
Thanks Meter: 59

By tek3195, XDA Ad-Free Member on 3rd July 2019, 09:28 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hard to find much on or about these $64.00 tablets from Walmart, so I thought I would throw this out there. The bootloader is unlockable and it has project treble support. Support is A-only, no seamless updates. Magisk installed just fine and then Riru-Core and EdXposed. I don't know where one would get stock boot.img so I tackled mine by using mtk-su by @diplomatic. Once I got a root shell I used dd to dump boot.img with "dd if=/dev/block/by-name/boot of=/sdcard/boot.img". It looks weird but platform and soc weren't needed. Install Magisk Manager and let it patch stock boot.img. Transfer magisk_patched.img to PC. Tablet connected to PC use "adb reboot bootloader" once in fastboot mode use "fastboot flashing unlock" and follow on-screen prompts to unlock bootloader. Set tablet up again in developer options for adb as unlocking performs factory reset. Reinstall Magisk Manager then use "adb reboot bootloader" again and finally the money shot "fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img". I'm not sure if it was helpful or needed but I then used "fastboot oem reboot-recovery" and wiped cache partition from stock recovery. After cache wipe completes, reboot system and go to Magisk Manager and check installation and updates then tend to whatever you think necessary. In the Magisk downloads section is Riru-Core and EdXposed which install same as any other module. From there I can confirm Gravitybox works, so far I've enabled the advanced power menu,navbar tweaks changed button color and button glow color and duration, also forced overflow menu. Bloat is very minimal on these with I believe 5 Sam Walton based apps which put up no resistance to pm hide command and later removal. I removed them (and then some) after making a backup with Advanced Tools Pro. Still in the process of finding out what should or shouldn't be removed. I stumbled upon a simply named but quietly complex root app by the name of Disable Application (ROOT) that is worth checking out. And of course fastboot and adb commands above are without the quotation marks. If you pick up any of my bad habits from reading the above, which in turn have any ill effects on your device, I am in no way responsible. In other words, wuzzn't me.

edit: I had this tucked away and easy to miss so here it is.
magisk_patched.img, mt8163_scatter and a few more things
IMG Files pulled from device using dd
I have added a full backup taken with TFM Tool that I believe can be flashed in SPFTool if needed.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WD...Yj0I07sA3s25FM
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tek3195 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tek3195 Ad-Free
3rd July 2019, 10:55 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,359

Donate to Me
More
Wait, so the bootloader is unlockable via fastboot? My intel indicated otherwise (probably due to wrong commands being tried). @NFSP G35, @DB126, @pbeamtn will want to hear about this. Thanks. That means there isn't much need for an unlock tool that runs from Android root.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to diplomatic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift diplomatic Ad-Free
3rd July 2019, 11:52 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 128

More
Wow... I totally entered the wrong commands in fastboot /facepalm
This is really good to know though. @diplomatic was able to help me unlock the bootloader on my 10" Onn tablet via 'other' means... but it's awesome that's not required and thus available to a large audience!

I'll give this a shot on both variants of the 10" (the one with the keyboard actually has slightly different hardware/software)

Also, thanks for drawing my attention here with the mention @diplomatic

I have been trying to build TWRP for this thing, but haven't been successful just yet.
If anyone cares to lend some guidance, I wouldn't turn it down
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NFSP G35 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NFSP G35 Ad-Free
4th July 2019, 04:41 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 9,350

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tek3195

Hard to find much on or about these $64.00 tablets from Walmart, so I thought I would throw this out there. The bootloader is unlockable and it has project treble support. Support is A-only, no seamless updates....
...Tablet connected to PC use "adb reboot bootloader" once in fastboot mode use "fastboot flashing unlock" and follow on-screen prompts to unlock bootloader.

Confirmed working (not there was any doubt). Thanks for you excellent post.

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomatic

Wait, so the bootloader is unlockable via fastboot? My intel indicated otherwise (probably due to wrong commands being tried). @NFSP G35, @DB126, @pbeamtn will want to hear about this. Thanks. That means there isn't much need for an unlock tool that runs from Android root.

Not necessarily. Your tool has two distinct advantages:
- ability to easily lock and unlock
- preserves contents of data partition

In the absence of TWRP I would be loath to unlock via the stock method unless working with a virgin device. Yes, there are ways to backup/restore contents ofthe data partition outside of a dedicated recovery but I don't have the time or ambition to mess with such clumsy approaches. Your non-destructive unlockbl.sh script makes it easy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DB126 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DB126 Ad-Free
4th July 2019, 05:27 AM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB126

In the absence of TWRP...

Well... I got TWRP to boot... but the screen is portrait and the touch input is landscape
The Following User Says Thank You to NFSP G35 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NFSP G35 Ad-Free
4th July 2019, 09:31 AM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Panama City FL.

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSP G35

Well... I got TWRP to boot... but the screen is portrait and the touch input is landscape

Can I get a copy of your TWRP ?

Nevermind, just realized you said both 10" and not 8".
The Following User Says Thank You to tek3195 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tek3195 Ad-Free
4th July 2019, 09:57 PM |#7  

More
Quote:

Can I get a copy of your TWRP ?

Nevermind, just realized you said both 10" and not 8".

Yeah, I was going to mention that.
But here's the guide I used... If it worked on the 10, it should work on the 8...
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...ource-t3843473

You'll just need to use mtk-su to pull your stock recovery image (***Make sure you save it!!!)
I also only got it to boot by using dd from mtk-su, for some reason the fastboot flash would take, but wouldn't boot... Furthermore, the tablet won't boot at all with a bad recovery (it will just boot loop) and can kill the battery. I nearly bricked one of mine. So do be careful.
The stock recovery image will flash via fastboot though, just have to make sure to erase first, and make sure you have a decent charge on the battery, otherwise fastboot won't let you flash.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NFSP G35 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NFSP G35 Ad-Free
4th July 2019, 09:58 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Panama City FL.

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomatic

What is this tool? @diplomatic I need some help with a different device. Huawei MediaPad T3_7. Can't find anyone with support for it to unlock the bootloader via online service. Sigma Key has full support but way to expensive for a hobbiest like myself. It has MTK MT8127 on Android 6.0 and I haven't been able to find a temp root solution or any other support for it. This is the 7th one of these I've owned but 1st one since no official unlock. I still have working TWRP and custom rom I cooked in Superr's Kitchen but no way to use them. Any thoughts on unlocking?
The Following User Says Thank You to tek3195 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tek3195 Ad-Free
4th July 2019, 10:42 PM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Panama City FL.

More
Quote:

Yeah, I was going to mention that.
But here's the guide I used... If it worked on the 10, it should work on the 8...
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...ource-t3843473

You'll just need to use mtk-su to pull your stock recovery image (***Make sure you save it!!!).

Thanks for link,haven't seen that one before.
Is there any particular reason to use mtk-su ? I have Magisk fully operational already. Or do I need to un-root before pulling recovery.img ? Shouldn't matter should it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tek3195 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tek3195 Ad-Free
4th July 2019, 11:02 PM |#10  

More
Oh yeah, I forgot you had Magisk... Shouldn't need mtk-su then if you do from a terminal emulator.
I like using mtk-su so I can do everything from the computer via ADB shell
The Following User Says Thank You to NFSP G35 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NFSP G35 Ad-Free
5th July 2019, 12:13 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1,359

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I really recommend compiling it from source code if you want to have any hope of it working correctly. To rotate the touch input you can try this in your BoardConfig.mk:
Code:
RECOVERY_TOUCHSCREEN_SWAP_XY := true
RECOVERY_TOUCHSCREEN_FLIP_X := true
...or some combination of those 2.

Quote:

What is this tool? @diplomatic I need some help with a different device. Huawei MediaPad T3_7. Can't find anyone with support for it to unlock the bootloader via online service. Sigma Key has full support but way to expensive for a hobbiest like myself. It has MTK MT8127 on Android 6.0 and I haven't been able to find a temp root solution or any other support for it. This is the 7th one of these I've owned but 1st one since no official unlock. I still have working TWRP and custom rom I cooked in Superr's Kitchen but no way to use them. Any thoughts on unlocking?

Well, you need to get root first to unlock it from Android. And I'm not sure it'll work on the mt8127....
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
joyar, ona19tb002, onn, onn_8"_tablet, walmart

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)