Post Reply Email Thread
10th October 2019, 05:43 AM |#121  
OP Member
Flag Panama City FL.
Thanks Meter: 59

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyfender

I am somewhat confused, as one of you states that Joyar is the manufacturer and another states that the manufacturer is Chunghsin Technology Group. Can someone please clarify this? I guess it really doesn't matter at this point as I am about to buy the 8" one anyway. My hesitation is primarily concerns about a solid backup plan, since I want to root it, of course and not end up with a brick. It is definitely a want and certainly not a need since I have 4 Nextbook Ares 8A tablets. I want to try Android 9 and all of it's new features, needed or not.
Has anyone had any of these fail? I have already had 1 of my Nextbooks fail after a few years of use, unexpectedly an for no good reason. I guess this is what you can expect from cheap tablets?

Thanks

Joyar group is a part of Chunghsin Technology Group. Chunghsin is the one that applied for FCC ID and ©™. I believe JOYAR.GROUP is more responsible for the manufacturing end of things from the way it looked researching what I could with a translator. As for device failures, you already know you get what you pay for. I had one with a dead spot on the screen so when hitting n key on keyboard you had a 1 in 26 chance of getting it right as it seemed to throw a random letter each time. Took 5 minutes to exchange with no problems. The other 4, I returned because I bricked them and didn't have a backup or preferred a clean slate after multiple bricks. Get a backup. Then you should get another with a different method if possible. That's just my way of looking at it because there are several places within the boot and recovery (vendor also if not mistaken) that call for invalidate on error. If one likes to experiment and wonder what if like I do they will soon find out how fast it will go dark and not be recognized by PC until they remove the back and disconnect then reconnect battery. As long as you have a backup and know to disconnect battery if not responding you will be fine with it. There is also a stock backup made with TFM Tool in google drive folder if anyone gets jammed up without one. For the money I think its fun to phuck around with and not worry about ruining my $400 Tab S2. GSI's are pretty cool too. I think I'm gonna buy a few more next month when the price goes down to almost nothing. I'm thinking probably around 20 bucks around thanksgiving, maybe not but I'm hoping.
The Following User Says Thank You to tek3195 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tek3195 Ad-Free
10th October 2019, 11:58 AM |#122  
Thanks Meter: 9,350

More
Quote:

Has anyone had any of these fail? I have already had 1 of my Nextbooks fail after a few years of use, unexpectedly and for no good reason. I guess this is what you can expect from cheap tablets?

I have three - including 2 refurbs purchased at $30 USD. None have failed but you can tell these aren't built for the long haul. That said, they are a good deal at retail and an absolute steal <$40 assuming mine are representative.

I have chosen to leave all unrooted using mtk-su as needed. Android 9 closes most of the capability gaps that would have driven permanent root in the past. Like you I have numerous other unlocked gizmos that were a blast to tinker with when the results were rewarding. Now reliability/stability reins supreme for daily use. I do miss TWRP but it's not really needed sans modding. I don't miss jumping through hoops to hide root, fix/workaround problems, apply the latest builds w/fingers crossed, etc, etc.

As an aside, I generally purchase devices that are easily unlockable and sport a clean stock ROM. The latter is essential as the custom ROM game grew old long ago as most "devs" (weekend warriors) don't have the skills or time fully support the underlying hw/kernel. Not judging - is what it is. I want full control but only when needed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DB126 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DB126 Ad-Free
10th October 2019, 07:35 PM |#123  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB126

I have three - including 2 refurbs purchased at $30 USD. None have failed but you can tell these aren't built for the long haul. That said, they are a good deal at retail and an absolute steal <$40 assuming mine are representative.

I have chosen to leave all unrooted using mtk-su as needed. Android 9 closes most of the capability gaps that would have driven permanent root in the past. Like you I have numerous other unlocked gizmos that were a blast to tinker with when the results were rewarding. Now reliability/stability reins supreme for daily use. I do miss TWRP but it's not really needed sans modding. I don't miss jumping through hoops to hide root, fix/workaround problems, apply the latest builds w/fingers crossed, etc, etc.

As an aside, I generally purchase devices that are easily unlockable and sport a clean stock ROM. The latter is essential as the custom ROM game grew old long ago as most "devs" (weekend warriors) don't have the skills or time fully support the underlying hw/kernel. Not judging - is what it is. I want full control but only when needed.

Since you have 3, can you hide the walmart button down by the home button? I wonder if it can be hidden with apps like "Navigation Bar" or "Home Button"?
10th October 2019, 09:55 PM |#124  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTommy

Since you have 3, can you hide the walmart button down by the home button? I wonder if it can be hidden with apps like "Navigation Bar" or "Home Button"?

Some report it can (read through thread for guidance). I don't bother as the app launcher consumes minimal resources if accidentally tapped. Nor do I need the real estate on the nav bar. In general I do not make changes to my gizmos unless the anticipated benefit justifies the action.
10th October 2019, 10:52 PM |#125  
Thanks Meter: 128

More
The Walmart button can be removed without root or an app. Just do it through adb. There's specific instructions earlier in this thread.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NFSP G35 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NFSP G35 Ad-Free
11th October 2019, 07:33 PM |#126  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I'm going to attempt to compile TWRP for the x003 model when I get a chance to sit down and learn how all of it works. Will be incredibly useful for those concerned about backups.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaffeinePizza For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CaffeinePizza Ad-Free
12th October 2019, 02:05 PM |#127  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 1,507

More
Has anyone updated this device to Magisk v20? I may buy one tonight.

Thanks
13th October 2019, 03:41 AM |#128  
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
I just bought this device tonight. I unlocked the bootloader in fastboot, enabled usb debugging and then flashed the available Magisk patched boot.img in fastboot.
This is where my problems started. I can't turn on wifi and the screen stays in portrait orientation, no matter what I change in settings. I have the latest stable and latest Canary Magisk Managers. I have installed both and when I initially launched them, they say they require additional setup, but I am guessing that it fails without internet access.
Which version of Magisk was used to patch that boot.img? Also, I do have root access, apparently, because I copied Simple reboot through mtp and it works correctly and gave a root prompt, when initially launched.

When I boot the tablet I get a message that about the orange state, The device has been unlocked and can't be trusted, device will boot in 5 sec, which appears to mean that dm_verity has not been disabled. When Magisk Manager is launched I do not see the options to check for encryption and dm_verity, as normal, or the the Safety Net check option, also.
With the patched Magisk boot.img installed, I think the first thing I will try is to factory reset to see if that will fix the issues.
Any thoughts will be appreciated. Everything seemed to be going well, as I had experienced on my Nextbook Ares 8A tablets, until all of this happened.
I just factory reset and it can't find any wifi networks. I guess I will now flash your stock boot.img. This make me wonder if this is a newer revision of the tablet, because I have several Nextbook devices and if I flash a boot.img from a different revision of the tablet, I will also loose Wifi.
I can easily return it as I now work in the Walmart Photo and electronics center of my store.
I guess this is a lession. I should have used your mtk root solution to back up the stock boot, assuming it is a newer revision of the tablet.
UPDATE: what do I have to loose? I am now also flashing your system.img to he if this will help.
On my 5 Nextbook tablets, maching system version with the same version of the boot.img works in all cases. If it fails, I will return the tablet and get a new one.
Thanks
13th October 2019, 04:16 AM |#129  

More
Quote:

I just bought this device tonight. I unlocked the bootloader in fastboot, enabled usb debugging and then flashed the available Magisk patched boot.img in fastboot.
This is where my problems started. I can't turn on wifi and the screen stays in portrait orientation, no matter what I change in settings. I have the latest stable and latest Canary Magisk Managers. I have installed both and when I initially launched them, they say they require additional setup, but I am guessing that it fails without internet access.
Which version of Magisk was used to patch that boot.img? Also, I do have root access, apparently, because I copied Simple reboot through mtp and it works correctly and gave a root prompt, when initially launched.

When I boot the tablet I get a message that about the orange state, The device has been unlocked and can't be trusted, device will boot in 5 sec, which appears to mean that dm_verity has not been disabled. When Magisk Manager is launched I do not see the options to check for encryption and dm_verity, as normal, or the the Safety Net check option, also.
With the patched Magisk boot.img installed, I think the first thing I will try is to factory reset to see if that will fix the issues.
Any thoughts will be appreciated. Everything seemed to be going well, as I had experienced on my Nextbook Ares 8A tablets, until all of this happened.
I just factory reset and it can't find any wifi networks. I guess I will now flash your stock boot.img. This make me wonder if this is a newer revision of the tablet, because I have several Nextbook devices and if I flash a boot.img from a different revision of the tablet, I will also loose Wifi.
I can easily return it as I now work in the Walmart Photo and electronics center of my store.
I guess this is a lession. I should have used your mtk root solution to back up the stock boot, assuming it is a newer revision of the tablet.
Thanks

Well, those would not have been my first actions. Penning this on a locked Onn 8"; can't justify to rooting this pup given shaky stability and clean stock ROM. Sure, I miss being the absolute master but it's mostly a want vs need. Hope things works out for you.
13th October 2019, 04:37 AM |#130  
Thanks Meter: 128

More
@martyfender, I have the 10" version without keyboard. Unlocked and magisk, not a single issue.
There is the "orange state" warning at boot, that started as soon as it was unlocked, even before patching the boot img.
But other than that, auto rotate and wifi are both completely fine.
It's currently Magisk 19.3, but I'm about to update to 20

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Update: upgrade to Magisk 20.0 through MM using direct install went off without a hitch
13th October 2019, 04:54 AM |#131  
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB126

Well, those would not have been my first actions. Penning this on a locked Onn 8"; can't justify to rooting this pup given shaky stability and clean stock ROM. Sure, I miss being the absolute master but it's mostly a want vs need. Hope things works out for you.

I flashed his backup system.img and just boot to a grey screen. I can boot to booloader mode and recovery.
Maybe I should be using spflash tool to flash the system.img, I used fastboot. I haven't used spflash since the days of my first Android device.
I am only doing this for fun. I really love my Nextbook Ares 8A 6.0.1 devices, with twrp, but they are no longer made. One of them has already died. These cheap devices don't last but a few years, in my experiences. Yes, you get what you pay for, but it is hard to find a 8" tablet that can be rooted. I do see many annoying features I do not like in Android 9, but, Google is all about protecting us and not letting us mess up our devices just like I just did with this device.
Thanks for your input Davey, I have alway respected what you have said on the lspeed thread. You have great knowledge and wisdom.
The Following User Says Thank You to martyfender For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift martyfender Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
joyar, ona19tb002, onn, onn_8"_tablet, walmart

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)